Tamiya Bismarck 1/350

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Thanks Derek
I think the white needs toning down abit. Does any one have an idea the best way to tone down the white ?
Possibly a thin black artists oil wash, I never use straight black or white on a model.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Thanks Derek
I think the white needs toning down abit. Does any one have an idea the best way to tone down the white ?

To tone down the white I think I'd experiment with a little bit of yellow maybe or even a little bit of light grey in the white.......

I really have great respect for the PE work Graham ............. It's looking superb ............. I would have thrown the lot in the bin by now mate.

Peter

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Graham,

This is a link to photos of the 1:50 scale shipbuilders model of Bismarck in the museum at Blohm & Voss in Hamburg ...... It is a private museum in the basement of the offices ...... I was lucky enough to get the tour when I worked over there for a while ......... and Dock 17 where it was fitted out is still in use ....... I took a walk down there, they had a LPG Tanker in there that didn't fill half of it........ The scale of that ship was amazing.

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/shipmodels/german_models/bismarckblohmvoss1.html

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Great star graham nice PE work and let's face it this kit needs all the extras , you can't getaway with a set of railings for this kit

I look forward to seeing the finished build :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

I was once very lucky enough to see the model and have a walk around the slip. The slip was quite a sight and very disquietning to think that one day the Bismarck slid down that slip while Hitler looked on.

The first two shots are of the slip, the third one is the ship's doctor stood next to a piece of the armour belt and the last shot is the close up of the notice attached to the armour. All very interesting stuff.

View attachment 104553

View attachment 104554

View attachment 104555

View attachment 104556

26-11-10-05Blohm&VossBismarckSlip3.jpg

26-11-10-09Blohm&VossBismarckSlip7.jpg

26-11-10-12Blohm&VossBismarckArmourNoel1.jpg

26-11-10-11Blohm&VossBismarckPlaque2.jpg

G

Graham D

\ said:
Great star graham nice PE work and let's face it this kit needs all the extras , you can't getaway with a set of railings for this kit
I look forward to seeing the finished build :smiling3:
Too true.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful work Graham, she's coming along really nicely.

Looking forward to seeing this massive model coming together.

Cheer

P

C

cryton 5

cool stuff I have similar model but this is goanna look good with etching !!

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
WOWSERS!! That is a whopper, that you're building. Many moons ago I built a 1:600 of the Bismark & Graf Spee...... memories:confused:

I really dig the intricate PE work, must be hell on the eyes!!:eek:

Looking really good thus far, keep it up!! :smiling3:

G

Graham D

Thanks for the comments

Snowman, not only is hell on the eyes, it also is the frustration of the carpet monster as it gobbles up a small part that pings out of the tweezers. I must be a glutten for punishment as I always come back for more.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks good and some nice progress, ;)

J

John Rixon

Looking good! I'm moving over to ships - have a Trumpeter Dreadnought. in between finishing off my Matilda tank, and getting to grips with the PE! I think it may be addictive! I have bought wooden decks too, but am sceptical about the planking and caulking scale, it does look gorgeous, but I reckon the caulking lines are far too thick! On a side note, I think that with all that PE, the Tamiya approach to less plastic actually works well. Not impressed with the Trumpeter instructions and mouldings, but am in heaven with the PE!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Graham your really turning this sows ear into a silk purse , I'm loving that brass work :smiling3:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I don't know how I missed most of this, but caught up now. Some great, even if a little slow work Graham.