Tamiya chieftain tank build (my 5th build)

D

Dave1973

so I've started. I've left this one while doing the jeeps as I wanted to read up how to do armoured stuff.

I can see the process is different, normally I paint almost everything on the Sprue, then touch up after cutting off and sanding. But it seems that a lot of people build up the lower and upper hulls before starting the painting.

Also the instructions say to build up the wheels and suspension and affix to the hull before any of the rest of it is done. What I've done is build up the road wheels, paint the rubber black Parts on the Sprue, and build up the suspension onto the lower hull but NOT fit the wheels, and leave them off till I've done the paintwork.

if anyone has input on that I'd be happy, as I'm learning this as I go!

Anyway. I've done the wheels, and they're drying. So I'll do more pics soon, as I build up.View attachment 121022

View attachment 121023

View attachment 121025

View attachment 121026

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Seen this one under your Cutty Sark Dave. I really like the Chieftain so going to watch this one as well.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
you are doing it as i would...........leave the road wheels and tracks off for as long as possible

J

John Rixon

Yup, agree, but it has to be said that its fine for you to work the way it makes sense to you! If you are airbrushing, then the order in which you paint stuff becomes more critical, and it definitely pays to give a LOT of thought to the logistics! However, if you are brush painting, then, in my experience, you have a little bit more flexibility as the paint only goes where your bristles make contact!! On the road wheel rubber tyres, I've found that cutting them off the sprues and attaching them to a cocktail stick with blu Tac, allows you to paint the tyres with thin paint, which wicks into the rim line, and by gently rotating the cocktail stick twixt (!) thumb and forefinger, you can hold the brush still and move the wheel - saw it on a YouTube vid, and have never looked back since! Hope this makes sense?

D

dubster72

I can't think of a tank I've built where the instructions didn't start with doing the running gear! The only point I'd mention is to watch that you don't fit the side skirts before the roadwheels & tracks.

As to painting, I think it's easier overall to paint once the vehicle is built. You get a better continuity with paint & weathering that way.

If you're spraying, a circle template is an easy way of doing roadwheels with tyres.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
My favourite tank......... I'll have to watch this.

L

Laurie

Wow you are a prolific builder Dave. Not seen anything like it since I built the family :eek:

I agree with the way Patrick has described the painting procedure.

I always paint after fixing things together whether airbrushing or brush painting.

My reasoning is you have filling to bits and pieces plus you have sprue cut off ends

to sand and sometimes fill if the connections are not good

Also if you stick to bits together, depending somewhat on the cement used, plastic

seeps out of the joint or you have to fill joints I find it is much easier easier to sand

and fill a put together piece.

Interested to watch this. My next project is a Warrior. Not a tank but some similarity.

Are you going to produce a diorama with your Landrovers and Chieftain ?

Laurie

D

Dave1973

Thanks all, I hope that I don't disappoint you all!

No Laurie, I'm nowhere near proficient enough to do diaoramas or however you spell it! I've on,y started this week since being out of hospital. This I guess will be my hobby, something I can learn and get better at, plus, all these models are going on my little boys shelf, as a thank you for his bravery. Being 5 and watching his dad go from racing every weekend to sitting in a wheelchair can't be healthy!

L

Laurie

No way of being disappointed at all Dave. We are all here to help and improve.

Just as I started and yours are better than mine at your stage. Admire your

enthusiasm.

May be I have missed something how did you get to the point of being in hospital Dave ?

On the kids point of view Dave, I have 4 (now grown up some middle aged) and

they are very resilient characters. Amazing little people when young and will watch

you and will you to get on in life what ever the problems One of my great joys now,

to busy to notice when younger, is to watch kids get on in life. Lots of people say

kids are not what they used to be. They are totally wrong they are resilient and

want to go places. Sure your young man will be no different and help his dad.

Laurie

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Yup, agree, but it has to be said that its fine for you to work the way it makes sense to you! If you are airbrushing, then the order in which you paint stuff becomes more critical, and it definitely pays to give a LOT of thought to the logistics! However, if you are brush painting, then, in my experience, you have a little bit more flexibility as the paint only goes where your bristles make contact!! On the road wheel rubber tyres, I've found that cutting them off the sprues and attaching them to a cocktail stick with blu Tac, allows you to paint the tyres with thin paint, which wicks into the rim line, and by gently rotating the cocktail stick twixt (!) thumb and forefinger, you can hold the brush still and move the wheel - saw it on a YouTube vid, and have never looked back since! Hope this makes sense?
The cocktail stick thing is how I do my wheels....Works well and gives a good line

D

Dave1973

I was riding home on 5th Aug on my motorcycle, when someone pulled out of a junction onto a main highway fifteen feet in front of me doing 60

Broke my back two places, neck in one, left leg and right knee has been rebuilt, complete.

L

Laurie

\ said:
I was riding home on 5th Aug on my motorcycle, when someone pulled out of a junction onto a main highway fifteen feet in front of me doing 60
Broke my back two places, neck in one, left leg and right knee has been rebuilt, complete.
Coo ouch matey not nice. What are your chances on a good recovery Dave ?

To give encouragement, although not as bad as your scenario, I was hit

by a racing car doing 40 to 50mph on the lower back and pelvis. Pulverized the

pelvis into 3 parts and cracked a vertebrae.

Not only made a full recovery but a back problem I had prior for 30 years

(wore a special corset with two metal bars) was cured. Hope your recovery

will turn out as mine.

Greatest problem I had was psychological. Why me and that went on for two

years why me. Surely I am immune to such things. I came to the conclusion

that it was this rude awakening that it can and does happen. Just because you

are you there is no immunity.

Laurie

D

Dave1973

Laurie,

Mine won't recover, I'm wheelchair now for good. The T4 was shattered, along with the T2 vertebrae. Luckily, they only nicked my nerve cord, but destroyed the ligaments in the spine. I've had a rod placed from T1-T5 to hold the spine together, but that's it.

The knee was rebuilt, the kneecap had shattered, all the ligaments ripped off, and the meniscus between the tibia and fibula was smashed.

I'm stil suffering with the mental side of it, I was the youngest member of the Pathfinders Platoon and the youngest SNCO in the battalion. I served in both gulfs, the afghan, Belize, East Timor, Sierra Leone (not a good tour!) and Bosnia. 19 years service, been racing motorcycles since I was 8, now I'm 42 and trying to cope with this loss of movement. Hence why I make models. Keeps me occupied and less likely to snap.

L

Laurie

At a loss to what to say Dave. Just hope that model making will help in some way.

Plus also being on this forum which is the nearest you can get to having a face to

face friendship.

Laurie

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
L

Laurie

May be daft Dave. But I would first try re-booting just to remove that suspicion.

Often find when these things arrive it is a mangled boot up.

Laurie