Tamiya M4A3E8 - Korean War

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Looking forward to seeing your inaugural build, that front paint job looks interesting!

Miko (often considered building the Oddball's Sherman from 'Kelly's Heroes')

Reactions: JR

NickInTheValley

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Looking forward to seeing your inaugural build, that front paint job looks interesting!

Miko (often considered building the Oddball's Sherman from 'Kelly's Heroes')
I'm not decided yet on if I will paint that specific Sherman or if I'll do another Korean war tank. Still thinking it over.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s quite a good kit, IMHO. Like I mentioned before, fit of the bogies is a little loose so you may want to take care getting them to sit right, but otherwise it’s a typical Tamiya kit :smiling3: I also mentioned the tracks were not great, but as you have the Korea version, it has different tracks to the Second World War variant I built, so ignore that part — I don’t know anything about the tracks in this one.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’ll be easier to build than the 105 mm M102 howitzer you also have, and if it all goes horribly wrong anyway, it looks like you’ve got a good way to dispose of the model at hand too ;)

NickInTheValley

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
It’ll be easier to build than the 105 mm M102 howitzer you also have, and if it all goes horribly wrong anyway, it looks like you’ve got a good way to dispose of the model at hand too ;)
That Howitzer is a pain but it's primed. Only problem I have now is I lost one piece that the barrel assembly mounts to the trailer/frame. I need two.. I'm missing one. If I can't find it I will have to make something.

Yeah the training grenade can smash it.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I shall follow please.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That Howitzer is a pain
I built it 20 years ago or so, when it was fairly new, and remember I didn’t find it that easy to assemble, no. Which just makes it pretty typical AFV Club kit, I’d say :smiling3: I somehow managed to lose one of the four springs … But since they’re a single spring each side anyway, I just wound copper wire around both equilibrators instead.

I lost one piece that the barrel assembly mounts to the trailer/frame.
Which parts do you mean?

Yeah the training grenade can smash it.
What, it’s not live? And here I was, thinking you were in the USA! ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I looked at the instructions before I asked, and I was kind of hoping you didn’t mean that bit :smiling3: I’m sure it can be scratchbuilt, but it won’t be easy to get it to look like that. Maybe go for a simpler block shape without the ribs in it? Then throw a crewman’s jacket over it or something ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You're off to a great start Nick. Being Tamiya the fit should be fine with not too many itty-bitty parts. We don't see that many post WW2 Shermans built and yet they survived into the 70/80s.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s looking good so far. What parts of painting do you struggle with?