Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
J

jono

\ said:
Yeah I have extraction hood. No mask tho
Glad you have the extraction hood Marc, But you should really use a mask:sad: :sad: suitable for Fumes & not just a dust mask..

John.

D

dougie

Yeah we will lecture you haha. But safety is totally the most important thing in life. Busty lungs no painty painty!

D

dougie

http://www.jsp.co.uk/products/Respiratory-Protection/Force8-Half-Mask/BHT003-0L5-000_Force-8-Half-Mask-with-Typhoon-Valve-without-Twin-Cartridges

http://www.jsp.co.uk/products/Respiratory-Protection/Force8-Half-Mask/BMP300-011-700_/norec

we just don't want you to get Ill! you will never get new lungs.

First Name
Marc
Oh right. I think the 2 quid one i just bought isnt going to cut it.

D

dougie

sorry to keep on! yes you are right, it really won't. I bought the mask I linked to, I love it, its really good for modelling but you are right about the goggles, I can't find mine and I definitely got some mist in my eyes, not nice, they were definitely affected for a bit after a longer spraying job.

The thing with theses paints is they have a lot of the carrier solvent and very little pigment unlike the acrylics I have used which are thick and don't seem to put so much fine particles in the air - anyone feel free to correct me here. I definitely notice a difference but the end result it worth it, the paint is very thin and very high quality

First Name
Marc
Ok will order that mask dougie. Good job i handnt been hasty in starting tonight.

D

dougie

you can get those in B&Q now and screwfix, there will be a screwfix near you. you can also get the 3m masks that do the same job. My non professional opinion is to go for the A2 filters as those have a higher filtration capacity than the A1 and you can also get the particulate filters that clip on over the top but thats up to you, I have them but they are for airborne particles of a certain size not gasses.

Glad to hear you are not going to risk it, was it not Ray that had a serious health issue after breathing in all the fumes over the years? Poor guy.

Let us know how you get on, if you need tips with the painting there are plenty of vids but remember to try and get nice even base coats so the colour is even - do all your panels at the same time so there are no differences, I made that mistake with my ferrari bonnet hood. Also the base does NOT go on 'wet' it dries to a matt finish as you will know but you don't even need to try getting the whole thing looking wet, it flashes off so quick that probably won't happen with an airbrush.

when you get to the clear then that will take some practice on a scrap piece to get the pressure and flow right but make sure you get the mist coats on maybe2 -3 times 1st as otherwise the base coat will start to become solvent again (another thing I have done!) you want the nice thin coats on before you try to get maybe 2 wet coats on.

Hopefully I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, ratehr I like to help where I can - from my own mistakes!!!

Really looking forward to what you achieve with this mate, will be ace

First Name
Marc
Thanks Dougie. I'm looking forward to getting some time on the model too. Been itching to do it last month but work commitments have been too high. Will be starting on the dashboard 1st so that should help in getting used to the paint. If all goes well I should at least have some primer down tonight signifying the last phase of the build.

D

dougie

\ said:
Thanks Dougie. I'm looking forward to getting some time on the model too. Been itching to do it last month but work commitments have been too high. Will be starting on the dashboard 1st so that should help in getting used to the paint. If all goes well I should at least have some primer down tonight signifying the last phase of the build.
Excellent news, what is it you work as? It's frustrating when that happens. I have done nothing the last 2 nights which is just no good as I have a meet and the Glasgow show coming up and want something to bring even if my stuff the now isn't brilliant I've seen worse so I can sort of be proud. I didn't manage any the last few weeks aso I was working away. The summer time is usually too busy for me.

Look forward to the pictures, I'm convinced you will do a good job, your other cars are great.

First Name
Marc
I own a cleaning business, last month was nuts was the busiest since our establishment in 2003. I am a window cleaner by trade, now we manage cleaning contracts for offices we do the lot from window cleaning right to office cleaning and stuff like that. One of my customers Bentley had a convertible weekend so that was hectic and we also picked up a large new contract that needed more staff and equipment so work is nuts. On top of that we have over 900 domestic window cleaning customers to service. What do you do?

D

dougie

That's ace, the guy doing similar round here is totally minted haha but I'll bet he has worked for it as you have done.

I install sub sea umbilicals and in the future will be also working intervention equipment for sub sea well trees. Its Ben a poor quiet year over all though.

D

Dave1973

I am still astounded at how well you guys make things look!!

Utterly gorgeous build!

First Name
Marc
Yeah well people think im minted, but really its no different it's just my bills are bigger and when all is said and done it's the same really. Just that I can be more flexible with my time.

I was chatting to a customer once, big house in Surrey a Ferrari, Mercedes family wagon all new 4 kids private schooled earns a lot of money this guy compared to average Joe he ends up with less in his bank than his brother does who works at sainsbury and lives in a council house. What annoys him more us people see all the stuff and hike the price up. His cars are all leased, the house is mortgaged, and at the end of the month before payday he's lucky he has £50 in his account. We were having a good old laugh about it.

First Name
Marc
\ said:
That's ace, the guy doing similar round here is totally minted haha but I'll bet he has worked for it as you have done.
I install sub sea umbilicals and in the future will be also working intervention equipment for sub sea well trees. Its Ben a poor quiet year over all though.
Sounds good, that must be well paid. Is it dangerous?

D

dougie

\ said:
Sounds good, that must be well paid. Is it dangerous?
It's not so good terms, I have to work all year in the workshop but my mates only work when away. Pay is OK, nothing crazy. The job Involves dangerous pressures and health and safety is paramount to everything hence my thing with the mask.

I have just sprayed a few things and even with the mask my throat is sore. I think the hiroboy ab cleaner is really strong and seems to go through the mask easily but I don't know much about these things. Just don't want to see anyone get into a bad way with chemicals

D

Dave1973

\ said:
Are you hardhelmet or deco diving?

Sadly I've lost my ability to dive now, I was deep rated by SSI (as Padi think anything below 65mts is utterly stupid!) and had just started to switch to rebreather from the old trimix rib set. Got three dives in over north Ireland at 95mts before this accident, now I'm struck off for good.

D

dougie

Ah sorry I've confused you. We make and test the umbilicals from vessels and installations. I don't dive, I'm a wimp apart from destroying my body biking. Brother in law is an air diver and I'm trying to persuade him not to go deeper!

First Name
Marc
Ok dougie i got a a3 air mask it seemed to keep all at bay. Here is the completed dashboard. Its okay not amazing to be honest very fiddly work on the masking. The paint is very forgiving, its several legues above using enamel. Just have to wait now to harden over the next few days. Will need to do the bottom part the same colour as the interior. So in going to have to mix up some more paint for interior. I can see though the body work is going to be amazing with this paint.

View attachment 121005

View attachment 121006

View attachment 121007

20151003_193054.jpg

20151003_214926.jpg

20151003_220014.jpg