Tamiya Mini Cooper Rally - first build

P

pbryd

Hello Guys

Following on from my thread in painting chit chat -

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/rusting-effect-with-brush-acrylics.30907/

I thought I'd document my first build and give you guys with more experience the chance to offer me a few tips which might save me a bit of time and help me avoid some common mistakes.

So far I don't have an airbrush so it's all going to be brushed with Vallejo Model Colour.

I've grinded a few rust holes in the floor plan and primed it with Halfords grey plastic primer before stippling a base rust colour with a makeup sponge.

My plan is now to spray with hairspray and brush on a red topcoat.

Any tips, helpful critiscism welcome.

Phil

View attachment 109384

base_rust.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
thats looking pretty good, look forward to seeing it progress

P

pbryd

This afternoon I tried to paint the base with a brush and Vellejo color model acrylics.

The finish was terrible, so I'm not sure what to do next.

Progress on the engine is good, I've glued it together but due to impatience and not reading the instructions correctly, the result is an engine with some parts bare plastic, some parts primed and some with a rust coloured basecoat.

So my question is about the glueing and plainting.

Do I ...

Paint all the small parts first then glue?

or glue them all, then spray them with primer after?

View attachment 109651

2015-05-19 18.13.39.jpg

D

dougie

I sometimes wonder the same thing. I bought a part build and some bits I had to remove. I think you probably are best to build up as much as practical if you can easily or feasibly paint it constructed. I have just started using alclad paint as well so depending on the types of paint and finish you want them you will have to build bits separate. Some will need a different primer type or colour.

Not a expert, just what I have found so far in my 2 builds

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
This afternoon I tried to paint the base with a brush and Vellejo color model acrylics.
The finish was terrible, so I'm not sure what to do next.

Progress on the engine is good, I've glued it together but due to impatience and not reading the instructions correctly, the result is an engine with some parts bare plastic, some parts primed and some with a rust coloured basecoat.

So my question is about the glueing and plainting.

Do I ...

Paint all the small parts first then glue?

or glue them all, then spray them with primer after?
Hi Phill,

Valejo "Model Air" brushes far better than Valejo "Model Colour" ............. Model Air is thinner, flows better off the brush and seems to level out the brush marks.

Last edited by a moderator:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Quite often it is far easier to paint small parts off the model if they are going to be a different colour than the part they aaer stuck to............. But, try to keep the paint off "glued" surfaces. It just makes a mess and won't stick together........... Unless, if you don't have a choice, and need to stick onto a painted surface then use CA adhesive (Super Glue).......... But only a tiny bit.

P

pbryd

Well I started this in May 2016 and I've eventually got a coat of primer on the body of the mini.

I bought myself a compressor and airbrush over the Christmas to help finish it off. I must say I'm impressed with the quality of finish you get with a brush, even in my very basic hands.

Now to clean this Halfords grey primer out of the airbrush.

Attachments

• 2017-01-05 20.15.26.jpg
    2017-01-05 20.15.26.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 14
P

pbryd

Thanks, it's coming along nicely. Amazing what can be achieved in only 18 months.