Tamiya Mossy mk IV bomer: Highball

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sitting here being slowly snowed in I started to pick over the bits for this little conversion.

The kit is Tamiyas B Mk IV in 1/48 and Paragon Designs resin conversion to make it to a Highball. Quite simple conversion as the hacking off of bits from the original kit is minimal.

There are two versions in the Paragon set, a British one and an Aussy one. The British version requires no cutting up, The Aussie version, you need to "move" a couple of hatches and cut the Filters off the bottom of the Nacels and replace them with resin 'tropical' ones.

The british version also uses the narrow bladed props out of the kit, so I will not need the Four bladed props that come with the paragon set.

I spent the afternoon cutting the moulding blocks off and getting most of the excess removed, so no Photos of that bit. Photos of the parts I can manage.

I've been surfing around trying to find out how much time (£) I wish to spend on more extra bits. There are a few great cockpit sets, flaps, and the like, but I really would like some weighted wheels. The cockpit detail is OK .... But some of the sets are ery nice. Jury is still out on those

Heres the resin bits. Starting bottem left corner and going with the clock; the belly pan, the two bouncing bombs, the bome rack, some very thin bits that are still on the block so they dont got broken. two panels that reduce the bomb bay opening, the arresting hook holder (the aussies flew them off carriers) new spinners for the four bladed props, a whole heap of blades, and the two air filters.

I cant see this build going to pear shaped however the sharp eyed will aleady have seen the filler on the belly pan. I sort of cut it in the wrong place..... Duh!

View attachment 29115

28112010854.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Thanks for sharing Ian, modifications such as this give us so much more scope and individuality in our modelling so it's good to see someone demonstrating how to use after market resin sets.

I also love the Mossie!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well not to much going on today-

Work does tend to get in the way of ones free time! I got the legs built and painted, together with the wheels. Struts and hubs painted with Alclad II Airframe ally. I also cut the 'axels off and drilled the clamps out and will fit a 'proper axel when the wheels go on.

Threw the office together today. Think it might of gone better if I had painted it before I built it! DUH!

the Wings are built. The inside of the nacels; Tamiya call out for bare metal, but photos I have found some of them where painted Interior green. I rather liked that so mine got the green! (There is alclad under there so I could buff it off in places..... Good idea?

Heres a couple of photos, included is one of the intrument panel with the resin addition for the highball controlls, and the bomb sight.

Now while you all sit back and have a good laugh, I will go and make some food.

View attachment 29196

View attachment 29197

View attachment 29198

View attachment 29199

View attachment 29200

29112010858.jpg

29112010859.jpg

29112010855.jpg

29112010857.jpg

29112010856.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks very nice,I particularly like the look of that undercarriage/main wheel assembly.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Steve. I think the tricky bit it going to be spraying the Hydrolic pistons in chrome!!!! :surprised:

(such a sinister signature you have there Steve!)

F

Fenlander

I really enjoyed building the Revell Mossie bomber but the Tamiya one does look sweet. Promodeller had a Mossie GB a while back and one of those was the Highball conversion, looked really good but I think it was British.

Looking forward to this Ian, just take your time and test fit until you get the conversion right. Matching resin and plastic always needs a bit of care, rushing it will only cause heartache.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I did briefly consider the Aussie one but chose the British one. Less chopping, Easier serials and ID (there wasnt one)! And Its British!!!

As a by the buy, the base kit I am doing has the option of two craft, one of which almost tempted me to leave the conversion til an other time and just do it OOB, Its a bomber command plane with black belly and Green and Earth camo!!! Well I say that. Tamiya will have you paint it Green/grey camo but the Serial nr in google brings up the Self same aircraft, codes, ID the lot as being Green/Earth. Go figure!!! Spose I will just have to buy another one now!!!! :smiling:

Stating to detail paint the office. This would of been a LOT easier to do before assembly. What was I thinking.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

This is looking like an interesting build. The kit looks well up to the usual Tamiya standard and the resin parts look flawless too. Will follow this conversion with interest.

Best of luck with it.

Paul

T

treyzx10r

Ian looking forward to watching this build, the landing gear is looking sweet!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I threw a bit of paint at the pilot and navigator this evening. I think I missed. The office got som paint last night. That went a little better.....The navigators seat looks ratty, but a) thats what I was after, b) you cant see it when his bum is in the seat!! ;)

I will have a second look at the figures after dinner, so if you have any suggestions, get 'em in quick.

Whilst I have the floor, does any one know if the axels in the main gears wheels where solid bar or the hollow tube type. Might as well use the right stuff having gone to the trouble of drilling the molded one off.

View attachment 29222

View attachment 29223

View attachment 29224

30112010860.jpg

30112010861.jpg

30112010863.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then. Wheels mounted; solid axels by the way. Pilot and navigator glued to their seats. Literally!

fuselage, wings, tailplanes glued up. As much as the resin I intend to use is also in place, bar one part, the main belly cowling. Due to me makeing a total pigs ear out of it I contacted the chap that done the original set and asked if its possible to buy just the part I buggered or If I would have to buy a new set. I got a reply next day and was told that if I send him my address, he will send a replacement part. Now thats service!!!

Trouble is now I have to wait befor I can continue.

The infill panels and the bomb holder fitted perfectly and only a tiny bit of filler will be need. (me again with the sanding stick!).

I have just discovered sumit quite funny: November dont have 31 days!! So that mean SWMBO and I have been married 9years today!!!

View attachment 29245

View attachment 29246

01122010864.jpg

01122010865.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I have just discovered sumit quite funny: November dont have 31 days!! So that mean SWMBO and I have been married 9years today!!! [/left]

You only just remembered! How funny did SWMBO find that? I'd probably be limping,or in a coma lol.

The Mossie is looking very nice.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Got a bit bored and didnt know what else to start on while I wait for the new cowl for the highball holder, so I have primed the most of her and did a bit of pre shadeing. painted the exhaust stacks,

I think I might have to give the seam along the bottom of the fuselage a bit of work as its still quite visible!

Any one like to come with a size for serial numbers on a mossy?

View attachment 29295

View attachment 29296

03122010867.jpg

03122010868.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Serial numbers were 8". Squadron/aircraft code letters varied a bit 30",32" and 36".

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Steve i knew I could count on you. Strange this particular aircraft did not have squadron/aircraft codes, just the serial so my next job is a tiny bit easier, just have to sharpen the old scalpel!!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bunkerbarge

Difficult to see it in these pictures Ian. I can see the shading on the grey but it doesn't show up as well on the green. Possibly it's just the picture not doing it justice.

F

Fenlander

From my own experience, if the shading is about right, it does not show too well in pictures. I have never managed to get around this issue with my photographs. Coming on really nicely though Ian, always a pleasure to see a Mosquito and even better, a conversion.