Tamiya Paint Pens - painting around car windows?

C

Cooperman69

Hi all,

I'm looking to build one of the car kits in my stash soon and was thinking of the best way to paint the window rubber.

I've been looking at the Tamiya paint pens but never used one before. Has anyone tried these for detailing around window frames? Are they any good?

Any other top tips for painting the rubber around the windows would be gratefully received too :smiling3:

Thanks, Colin.

First Name
Adrian
My Shelby GT 500Tm was done free hand, it turned out ok I think, pics are on here some place

Adrian

C

Cooperman69

Thanks Adrian I'll take a look, although I'm not that hot with a hairy stick and straight lines.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Tamiya paint pens are OK. The tips are a bit soft though. Have a try with an ordinary black marker pen. Many use them for boot toppings on ships and the like.

Also cutting a notch in the tip hurts a lot less on a cheap felt pen than on an expensive tamiya paint pen.

Ian M

C

Cooperman69

Thanks Ian, I'll take a look at that.

Is there any chance of marker pen ink "bleeding" if over coated with klear or an acylic top coat? I was going to take a trip to Staples to see what they offer with paint pens or permanent markers.

Colin.

P

phalinmegob

i seem to remember someone doing a pre-shade on panel lines with a black marker,i also seem to remember that it ran when over painted because the ink never fully dried on plastic all though it felt dry to touch....could be wrong though