Tamiya SdKfz 251/1 Ausf C 1/35

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Many thank. Is there a name for such a fixation Colin? Do have a local WA (Wheels Anonimas)? ;)
I suspect I'm unique to medical science................

P

Polux

Magnificent build Graham.

I love your paintwork there, looks fantastic. and the weathering on the wheels is simply great!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great build Graham, a fantastic way to return to the hobby. Despite your comments in other threads about the airbrush issues, I have to say from those photos that I can't see flaws. Nicely presented with that scene too, great stuff all round.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i like that.......and the base is excellent too

F

Fenlander

Thanks Paul. The base is a MiniArt 'Italian Village' kit I made years ago. It's not fastened to it, I just use it as a generic bit of scenery.

D

demon

Excellent paintwork looks like painted steel not painted plastic weathering is spot on I would do armour if I could turn out vehicles like this all the best

Roger

D

dougie

Great work, it's great the excellent members of the forum have helped

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Excellent paintwork looks like painted steel not painted plastic weathering is spot on I would do armour if I could turn out vehicles like this all the best
Roger
Very kind of you Roger, thanks:smiling3:

\ said:
Great work, it's great the excellent members of the forum have helped
Thanks Dougie. One of the best things for a modeller is contact with other modellers. This forum provides a safe, sharing place and a depth of knowledge in its membership with a willingness to share that you would find hard to get anywhere.

J

John Rixon

Fantastic paint job Graham, really authentic look. There's a lot of surface on these things, and you have rendered them superbly, I'm most impressed! I'm also tempted to get one of these half-track jobs, they look an interesting challenges!

J

John Rixon

\ said:
well, this has been a long time coming but I have fully completed my first model in, possibly, two years. It has been a pleasure to get back into the hobby and this simple Tamiya kit from 1975 has been just what I needed, a completion.
Couple of simple pics to show final weathering but can I just say a huge thank you to you guys for your support in returning to this forum and the hobby after far too long. Without you, I would never have pushed on to get this first milestone out the way.

Bring on the next :rolleyes:

View attachment 143944

View attachment 143945
Tell me graham, what was the quality like on this kit? I only ask as the T62 I recently built was also old, and, not to put too finer point on it, a dog! I spent a lot of time cleaning up a lot of flash. I know its not such a hard job, but it did knock the shine off the build somewhat! I notice a few around at bargain prices...

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Tell me graham, what was the quality like on this kit? I only ask as the T62 I recently built was also old, and, not to put too finer point on it, a dog! I spent a lot of time cleaning up a lot of flash. I know its not such a hard job, but it did knock the shine off the build somewhat! I notice a few around at bargain prices...
It is quite a simple kit John so not many small parts to show up any issues. Very little clean up required and the fit was superb. Perhaps a little curve to the fenders but nothing that caused issues. A couple of sink marks on the upper hull side which I filled but can still be seen, that is me being impatient as I should have checked them more carefully.

No really badly place ejector pin marks so, for a 1975 kit, it is amazing. However, it does lack refinements and detail. For example, no radio, racking, tie down points etc but these are easily rectified if you wish to.

The other Tamiya, the Ausf D that I got comes in a much bigger box, has a higher part number and far more detail. This one came out in 1995 so still an old kit but 20 years younger than the one above. I will be building this one shortly with the addition of photo etch. I would say that this will be a better kit but that doesn't mean that the old one is worse, just less refined.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
It is quite a simple kit John so not many small parts to show up any issues. Very little clean up required and the fit was superb. Perhaps a little curve to the fenders but nothing that caused issues. A couple of sink marks on the upper hull side which I filled but can still be seen, that is me being impatient as I should have checked them more carefully.
No really badly place ejector pin marks so, for a 1975 kit, it is amazing. However, it does lack refinements and detail. For example, no radio, racking, tie down points etc but these are easily rectified if you wish to.

The other Tamiya, the Ausf D that I got comes in a much bigger box, has a higher part number and far more detail. This one came out in 1995 so still an old kit but 20 years younger than the one above. I will be building this one shortly with the addition of photo etch. I would say that this will be a better kit but that doesn't mean that the old one is worse, just less refined.
Thanks for that! It's always good to have proper feedback. I am really keen to have a go at one of these now, will have to have a think about which one!

D

dougie

\ said:
Very kind of you Roger, thanks:smiling3:
Thanks Dougie. One of the best things for a modeller is contact with other modellers. This forum provides a safe, sharing place and a depth of knowledge in its membership with a willingness to share that you would find hard to get anywhere.
I'm not the most active on here due to time constraints but I've been on line since mid 90's and this is the only forum I've really bothered with

W

Weeman0000

Very nice! love the weathering too. I just got back from 4/5 months break and just getting back into it. Had a 2 month holiday and 2 months chilling so i'm currently re-doing older kits to get back up to scratch.