tamiya straight run figure 1/12

P

Paulali

Hi I have a tamiya 1/12 staight run figure,im after some info on weathering,i want to take the newness/harshness away from the figure,now i know i use a wash,but what colour? black? i use tamiya acrylics and have all the colours,so would it be flat black,semi-gloss black or full black gloss,or another colour? the figures leathers are red,hope you guys can help,look forward to any replys

View attachment 116021

TAMIYA-1-12-STRAIGHT-RUN-RIDER--1412341.jpg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
If you are doing black leathers....I would tone it down with Brown highlights....Old motorcycle leathers get to be Brown in the cracks and creases.

D

demon

I would try a brown wash for red leathers but I'm no expert

P

Paulali

\ said:
If you are doing black leathers....I would tone it down with Brown highlights....Old motorcycle leathers get to be Brown in the cracks and creases.
the leathers are red

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
thanks for the reply
I'm not sure about Red Leathers ....... Someone on here will know. There are some first class figure painters on here.

P

Paulali

\ said:
I'm not sure about Red Leathers ....... Someone on here will know. There are some first class figure painters on here.
ok,thanks Peter,i am going to try matt black wash tonight

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Why not paint a test piece first and experiment with that..........I was thinking earlier maybe a Brown wash o. Red might work.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
By test piece I mean a yoghurt pot or margarine container. Something with curves and angles.

P

Paulali

yeah ive had a trial,and i think perhaps you cant use acrylics for a wash,i made it really thin,and its just globulating,like rain does on a polished car,thats on a test piece and on the figure,perhaps i have made it to thin?definately need help please

Last edited:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
You will need an oil based wash over acrylics........ the stuff artists use in a tube. Thin it down with turps or white spirit so it looks like dirty types (quite watery. You can use it as a fairly dry brush for a filter or slap it on for a wash. When it dries the turps evaporates leaving the pigment behind.......if you do more than one coat make sure the first is very dry, otherwise if the model gets too saturated it eats into the plastic. Then when it is totally dry,after a few days, you can seal it with acrylic lacquer. If you are putting decals on use a gloss....... then finish off with a Matt coat.

P

Paulali

many thanks Pete,yes decals are going on the figure,so just to recap,oil base wash,then seal with an acrylic gloss,then apply decals,then apply the matt acrylic laquer? sorry for all the questions

D

demon

\ said:
i should have added that the figure is painted with tamiya x7 red
I use Windsor and Newton oil paints thinned a lot with odourless thinners for a wash burnt umber is a good all rounder for wash

P

Paulali

\ said:
I use Windsor and Newton oil paints thinned a lot with odourless thinners for a wash burnt umber is a good all rounder for wash
thankyou Demon

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
many thanks Pete,yes decals are going on the figure,so just to recap,oil base wash,then seal with an acrylic gloss,then apply decals,then apply the matt acrylic laquer? sorry for all the questions
You got it ........ Good luck Paulali .......... Post up some photos when you have him done........ Just so you know, applying the decals on a gloss coat, helps with adjusting the position of them and more importantly, it stops them silvering. If you apply the decals on a Matt Coat you end up seeing the line around the edges of them............

.......... and no problem with the questions, we all learn stuff from each other. Happy to help.