Tamiya X22 Clear

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Alan, I'm guessing to use the original Tamiya thinners that come either in their paint bottle range or their large packs if you're not sure. Obviously the die hard solvent users will have a formulae that would suite Tamiya paints ...something in the line of Isopropyl.....? If you're using it for any clear parts then water will do. Oiled based thinners will craze clear parts. Are you paint brushing or airbrushing?

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Water should always work for acrylics, so that’s the safe bet. Tamiya thinner is an even safer bet, I suppose, but ridiculously expensive IMHO — if you can find a clear windscreen wiper fluid with isopropanol in it, it should also work fine for a fraction of the cost of Tamiya’s thinner.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I also use blue liquid Windolene for a thinner is this helps:thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I don’t think I’d use tinted wiper fluid for varnish (or for white paint), but you could try a test piece first of course.

S

Steve Noble

Use Tamiya X20a thinner. And be prepared to wait while it dries, possibly weeks, not days...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I use Mr colour levelling thinners with Tamiya gloss, semi gloss and Matt varnishes with no issues whatever. I have used X20a with them as well, and again have no issues apart from tip drying during spraying (which is why I prefer Mr colour thinner). Never had a problem with drying times, both being touch dry in minutes, and have never had Matt varnish drying white either. I always leave at least 24 hours before doing anything else over them though. Blue windowlene makes a pretty good airbrush cleaner for acrylics, by the way, but like Jakko I would be careful using it as a thinner with clear or pale colours.