Tank Hull Colouring

First Name
Neil
After far too long not doing any modelling due to various circumstances - I have started back on something to get me on track again. So I started the 1/35 Academy M1A1 Abrams - I know the tracks are wrong etc, but I thought I'd try something different for a change.

Anyway, all I have done is put the wheels together and added the extra axles. Next stage will be to paint the hull and wheels separately before putting them on, so my question, the hull is desert sand but it will need some weathering before adding the wheels, given much of this will be hidden when complete, how much weathering/dirt do you folks put on hulls? Do they actually get pretty mucky (I'd have thought so). Also, how thin is the rubber on the road wheels? I don't know much about tanks so are these solid rubber wheels (again, I would guess they are).

Thanks,

Neil

First Name
Robert
I'm not really familiar with the Abrahms tank but I have a few ref pics I can give you which shows some details of desert warfare and dirt examples

Hope this helps

Regards

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
The M1A1 Abrams has side skirts..... So I wouldn't sweaty on the weathering behind the wheel too much........ maybe a dry brush or wash if you really want to ........ The rubber on the road wheels is solid rubber....... and yes it's quite thin...... there would be a faint raised line on the wheels as a demarcation between the wheel rim and rubber.

J

John Rixon

Dust and more dust, maybe start with a Desert sand base then use lighter and darker colours for fading and dirtying. AK do a nice desert sand dust wash, enamel based, so gives you time to blend it in with a bit of thinner, but I suspect pigments are going to be your friend in this build!

J

John Rixon

...and they're as sure as hell gong to fade in that sun! Bits of it will be near white!

First Name
Neil
Thanks guys, that's pretty helpful, I can always use it as first attempt at dust/weather on the basis it will not be seen initially on the hull - I really meant the lower hull where the wheels attach rather than the top which is visible.