Tank modelling

First Name
Frederico
Hi there, my name is Frederico, Fred is perfectly fine. Im after people who does tank modelling. Im a complete novice and got stuck on a 1/35 scale M4 Sherman. At the very beggining. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What do you want to know? We have lots of people here who build tanks, and several of us who know a thing or two about Shermans in particular :smiling3:

First Name
Frederico
Hi, thanks for replying, l got stuck on page on, lower hull. If you have the instructions, l did D5, F36 and F38 parts and it got okay. Then, F37, F25 & 26 all good. But, by the instructions, next would have been A 8 and 9 plus B 24, 25. That does not fit, sit properly. And l dont get it. Right parts, right order but wont fit

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It will help a lot if you could tell us the brand of the kit and its number :smiling3:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Welcome Fred. Jakko and a couple of the other members will be able to assist you I'm sure. You've come to the right place that's for sure.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
OK, parts A8 & A9 are for the different version of front, one has the grooves for the parts F25 & F26 - these can only go onto part F36 which you have already located.
Basically what you are building is a Sherman with an early front which is the one shown at the front page of the instructions. So you do not need to use parts A8, A9, B24 and B26 These are for a later models Sherman just in case you wanted to build it.
Do not worry, when you get a kit like this it normally comes with alternative parts.
I have saved the download instructions in case you need more help.
Mike.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Fred and Welcome.
If you would really like lots of help, hints and tips and be able to post photographs to show your work, you might consider becoming a supporter of the forum and pay the small yearly fee.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
item 35190**3400
Ah, yes, I see where your confusion comes from:

Tamiya 35190 step 1.jpeg

As Mike (Scratchbuilder) says, these are alternative parts: some Shermans had the nose with the two flanges on it, others had a nose without those. The kit provides both types, but you can of course only fit one of them. At the top of step 1, it says “Select the 3-piece or one-piece cast cover” but that’s easy to miss. (Just so you know, those names refer to the fact that on the real tank, the one with the flanges consists of three cast-steel parts bolted together, while the one without the flanges is a single casting.)

Just so you know, there is another choice like this in step 3, where you fit the wheels into the bogies. Each bogie has two wheels, but the instructions show three, because the kit includes wheels with spokes and wheels without. Real tanks came from the factory with either all spoked wheels (D32) or all non-spoked ones (A1), so you can choose which one you want. In the field, when a wheel was damaged, it was as often as not replaced by one of the other type, so on your model, you can put spoked wheels but one or two non-spoked, for example — or the other way around. (Also beware here that if you use wheels A1, the hollow side should always go towards the tank. The side with detail on it should face outward.)

Good luck with the model, and if you need any more help, don’t hesitate to ask :smiling3:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Jakko, it took me three looks to see the problem because the focus is on the final drive covers. And I kept trying to put the second alternative pair onto the first... I think Tamiya could have been a bit more clearer with their instructions in this case although they are not the only ones.
Although it does say 'One piece' or '3-piece' at the left side of the illustrations - but if you are not familiar with the Sherman that could mean anything.
Well spotted on the wheels, I had not got that far with the instructions.
Mike

First Name
Frederico
Hi both, thank you very much for your answers, that is really really useful and appreciated. I was reall confused last night. And thank you for the tips on the bogies as well. As mentioned before l am totallynew with modelling, my son gave it to me and when l started building yesterday it really threw me. I was sure l was doing right but the second part made me think l was not. I really appreciate this and l really enjoyed starting yesterday. Will carry on now andsee where it takes me. Many thanks and enjoy your day!

First Name
Frederico
One last question for now. By any chance does the forum use like a WhatsApp group or is it just the Forum. Thanks

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
With the help on the Sherman - not a problem, we were not born as modelmakers, we all had to learn and learn from others.
As for the WhatsApp I think there is not one, but the Moderator should be able to help.
Cheers
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think Tamiya could have been a bit more clearer with their instructions in this case although they are not the only ones.
I agree — as you say, if you’re familiar with Shermans then it’s obvious, but if you’re not, I can easily see how the instructions appear to tell you to fit B26 over F36, or something like that.

Well spotted on the wheels, I had not got that far with the instructions.
I just thought I’d look through them to see if there were other potential problem areas like this :smiling3:

As mentioned before l am totallynew with modelling, my son gave it to me and when l started building yesterday it really threw me. I was sure l was doing right but the second part made me think l was not.
Not a problem — you were smart enough to ask when you were confused, instead of plunging on regardless :smiling3:

By any chance does the forum use like a WhatsApp group or is it just the Forum.
This forum runs XenForo, which is software specifically designed for web forums. It’s not a front for a WhatsApp group or similar, but dedicated software — which also means we’re mostly free from social media spying here, other than Google Tag Manager, or so says Ghostery anyway:

SMF.jpeg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Now I know I’m getting old … to me, forums are the newfangled mumbo-jumbo that took the place of mailing lists and USENET :smiling3:

First Name
Frederico
One last question for now. By any chance does the forum use like a WhatsApp group or is it just the Forum. Thanks
Hello lm back. Quick questio. On the same model lm bulding, do l have to cement the sprockets to the body of the tank or they stay loose for the travks? Thanks