Tank track broken repair help needed

P

premacy10

Hi all

have got a sherman with a one piece rubber track which has broken , any suggestions to fix would be appreciated. I find the gluing of both ends together is difficult even using superglue.

Regards

Tony

P

phalinmegob

how about glueing the two broken ends on top of one of the road wheels and put a dollop of mud on top to disguise it rather than trying to glue the two ends together.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tony, when this happens I have found it virtually impossible to 'Hide the join'

To effect a repair try scouring the join with sandpaper, this will give a key for the super glue...try and do this with the tracks on the tank, otherwise it might well snap again....This has worked for me but the lads here might have a better suggestion.

I've found the only way to hide the repair is to make a diorama and hide the offending part in either mud or grass!!

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Oops! sorry, but our mate from 'Up the Squirrel' beat me to a mutual suggestion to your problem!

Ron

D

dubster72

To actually join the 2 parts of the track, I've previously used a fine needle & cotton thread which helps hold it together and then glue it to the bottom of a roadwheel.

As Ron said, such repairs nearly always need a bit of disguising with scenic materials. Hopefully your Sherman is not 1/72 scale coz that's much harder to fix!

Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm with Patrick on that one. Sew it, glue it and hide it. There is an other option though. After market tracks. There are loads of them out there, Have a look at the ones from Bronco. I believe they do just about every type of track of Shermans. Not a quick fix but they do look great.

Ian M

N

noble

Sorry if the reply is a little late but what about stapling the two halves together or put the tank in a dio as a knocked out tank then add more battle damage.

scott