Tank Tracks

K

Killer Bananas

I recently got a 1/35 Dragon T-34 1942 "Formochka" Smart Kit, I really liked the kit it had nice detail, extra parts, instructions were so-so, but still.

I finish everything on the tank, but the tracks. I do not understand how to make these, until recently all the model tanks I have purchased have come with Rubber black tracks that require no assembly other than putting the two sides together.

Being relatively new at building models (about 4 models, 3 tanks, not counting the T-34 because it is not finished, and one 88mm AT/AA flak gun) I have no idea on how to build these tracks, because every time I do, I go to put the tracks on the tank, and they simply fall apart.

Any Suggestions?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Welcome to the forum KB. No idea as i've never used these tracks yet (althoughi have a few Dragon kits to make). Someone with more knowledge will be along soon to help you out

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have only built 'magic tracks' once and as far as I recall they were not very cooperative that time either. I think that I ended up by building the bottom run; the bit on the road, and leaving it to dry. The parts that went around the drive sprocket and the front wheel were built in place. The top half, or the return run was built on the table and before the glue was 100% set, draped over the idler wheels and made to sag. As for glue I used a combo of liquid poly and the normal thicker type poly glue. It was a challenge and bit kept falling off but I got there in the end.

Ian M

D

dubster72

I can help you there Bananas, as I've built a Dragon T-34. The tracks should be the 'magic tracks ' and you glue each one together until you end up with a length of track that can then be draped over the roadwheels to get a realistic sag. It's time-consuming, but much more accurate than using 'rubber-band' tracks.

Hopefully, this link will work & take you to my thread that covers the painting of my T-34, but as I'm doing this on my phone, it might not work! You'll need to go to page 4 or 5 to see the tracks prior to painting, which should give you an idea of how they go together.The link is http://www.scale-models.co.uk/under-construction/8621-painting-t-34-85-a.html

All the best Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh I remember that Patrick, t'was a wonderful build. Well worth a revisit.

Ian M

D

dubster72

\ said:
Oh I remember that Patrick, t'was a wonderful build. Well worth a revisit. Ian M
Strangely enough Ian, I just had a wander down memory lane myself to see how that one went together! Ah, back in the days when I had time to actually build & paint a kit in 2 weeks!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was thinking that there were a lot of members that posted in that thread that we see or hear so little of these days.

Ian M

D

dubster72

You're right there! I've been AWOL for a bit myself, but even after looking over past threads I've not seen much from Graham, Paul or Backbreaker. A shame as they were very talented modellers.

D

DavidCee

Hi all, I've had my first dabble at doing a 1/35 scale Dragon Jagdpanzer IV/70(A) which comes with "Magic Tracks". I've had a look on the web for how-to videos and help and have come to the conclusion that the plastic they are made of does not "melt" when exposed to Poly Cement, in my case Humbrol. I went the whole hog, used a ruler and some tape, put them all together (112 of them this morning, excluding the "ground contact" set I did last night) and this morning found out I only needed 97 (I assumed that's how many were in the bag! doh!). So, I counted up to 97, gently bent it to and fro and lo and behold... the tracks parted with virtually no damage at the 97th track. I did this on blind faith, I think the magic bit is that the glue does attach to the plastic, but does not bond the parts together totally. I'm going to do the same for the other side later on... if it fails, I will update my post, but for now... they're magic!:cheesygrin: