TESTORS or How to deal with manufacturers

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy guys and gals,

I purchased an HSO (Hobby Shop Only) TESTORS Model kit#7500 "Gates Learjet" today while in Little Rock, Arkansas after my doctors appointment. I also purchased some aftermarket microscale decals that I planned on using to "customize" this model.

It was my plan to come home after driving 80 miles and begin assembly of this model for posting on this site tonight. Well instead I am posting a thread in the "quick tips" section of the forum on "How to deal with model manufacturers".

Here is the problem, I got home only to find that the two fuselage halves were warped and mishapen, there was "flash" (excess plastic) on all of the parts, this was not what I have come to expect from a large company like TESTORS . So, remembering back to a similar problem I had in 2005 with the "FUJIMI corp.", I visited their website and found their "CONTACT US" Link. Below is the letter I wrote to them:

LETTER TO TESTORS (WWW.TESTORS.COM) , CONCERNING KIT #7500 GATES LEARJET.

Hello,

I purchased your "Hobby Shop Only" (HSO) model kit #7500 of the Gates Learjet today, Jan. 22nd, 2008 at "The hobbyshack" in jacksonville, Arkansas, approx. 80 miles from my home. At the same time I purchased an aftermarket decal set to "customize" the aircraft.

Upon arriving home, I opened the box only to find that the two fuselage halves were severely warped and mishapen....to the point that the model is unbuildable. I am very dissatisfied with this model.

Not only were the parts warped, but all of the parts in the kit were covered in "flash" or "excess plastic"....I guess quality control was out sick that day. I have somewhere on the order of 300+ model kits here at the house, alot of them are testors, but I must say I have never come across such a poorly manufactured kit in all my 39 years of modelling.

I belong to an online modelling forum, http://www.scale-models.co.uk/ which boasts several THOUSAND members, I personally have over 250 photographs of models i have constructed, posted there on that forum under the username "GEEDUBBYA".

I really like your models for the most part, however, my experience with your company concerning this model will be recorded there for the members to see....bad or good, depending on how this situation is handled.

So, since I have not expressed into words what it is exactly that I am trying to say, I will be straightforward, "Will you rectify this situation with this model kit? I can provide photos if needed.

Thank you in advance for your considerations, I eagerly await your response, please feel free to contact me, if not by phone, then by email or vice versa.

Greg Worsham

GEEDUBBYA@prodigy.net

So now the waiting game has begun. No matter what their response, good or bad, I will post it here for all to see.

Their response to me could be their public relations worst nightmare or best selling point since it will be available for view by the 3000+ members of this forum.

The FUJIMI CORP did the right thing and sent replacement parts to me via express mail at no charge to me when I had this problem with them, lets see if TESTORS will do likewise for a customer who has purchased hundreds of their kits in his lifetime.

Now what I plan on doing once I recieve their response (good or bad), is to post the link to their "contact us" page so as that all of you as modellers, can express your opinions of how they handled the situation. This might get them and other model companies to be sure that the "quality control department is covered when someone calls in sick".

So, be looking for this post to appear and reappear as communications between TESTORS CORP. and Myself are passed back and forth and we'll all see how Public relations in a large company works.

And at the conclusion I will post their contact page so anyone that wants to can voice their opinion on the matter.

Have a good day,

Greg

Last edited:
T

tigertc

PEOPLE POWER!!!!!!.....HOORAH.

(Some guy in China is about to get fired! :smiling3: )

good joB GEEDUB'

B

Bunkerbarge

Even with a positive outcome it is sad that a model of such a poor standard has made it to the shelves in the first place. This indicates not only a poor manufacturing standard but also very poor quality control.

Lets see what happens!

A

alan2525

With most of the cost of the actual model kit being the tooling costs for the actual mould, distribution costs etc. It's a shame they can't improve the actual quality control of whats coming out of the moulds every few seconds!

It's so easy for the faulty items to be thrown back in a trolley for being shredded and then can easily be reused and turned into another model kit once it's granulated again!

Lets hope they are swift dealing with the problem, and if they value their customers, who knows - you might even get a free model too!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys and gals,

Ok, first thanks for the support and I would like to say straight away that I am only after whats "due" to me. I have always been like that even in automobile accidents, if I am not seriously hurt, I dont try to get more than what is fair and equitable. Even in the modelling industry, I can see where "overcompensation" could bring the cost of modelling up for everyone. So I am really only out to get replacement parts for the parts that are unusable. This may seem like I am giving the company the easy way out, but, I feel its the right thing to do. I can remove flash from parts, it wont be the first time, but the warped and mishapen parts.....short of major surgery such as boiling water and risking burns while I attempt to reform the pieces....well those parts need to be replaced.

Anyway, here is TESTORS reply:

Dear Greg,

I am very sorry that the new kit you purchased was not up to the

quality you expect from Testors. There are a couple options here:

I can replace the parts that are warped or came damaged, I just need a

list of the parts that you need.

You can return the kit to us and we will issue you a merchandise credit

for the retail price of the kit which you can use on any of our current

Testors model kits.

Let me know which way you would like to go so that we can recify the

situation and get you back to modeling.

Best Regards,

Christie Van Hulle

Testors Customer Service

>>> testors 01/23/08 7:58 AM >>>

So, I am off to get a list of any and all parts that are "not up to standards for replacement so I can send them the list. We'll see how well this works.

And again, at the conclusion of this i will post the contact info for the company and if any of you feel like letting them know how you rate their handling of this situation, you will be able to do so.

I'll keep you informed,

Greg

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy again guys and gals,

Ok, here is my reply to Ms. Van Hulle:

Hello Ms. Van Hulle,

First off I would like to thank you for your prompt reply concerning this matter, it is much appreciated.

I am sitting here with the model instruction sheet in front of me and the parts in question appear to be part #2 (left fuselage half) and the right fuselage half, the instructions do not reflect a part number for the right half, so in order to better describe the parts, lets just say both parts of the main body of the aircraft (left and right sides).

As for the rest of the parts covered in "flash" (excess plastic), I can clean these parts by trimming and alot of sanding, so as that they can be used.

Having worked with plastic injection molding equipment where I work, I know that the flash is caused by lack of "clamping pressure" on the mold and/or too much injection pressure. Or it may possibly be that the mold is worn and needs to be resurfaced. Whatever the cause, the machine operator should have caught these parts before they went to the shipping department.

But, I do wish to say that overall, your products are usually top quality and I realize that sometimes defective parts do "get by" and are shipped. This is something that all manufacturing companies have fought with throughout history so I dont bear ill feelings towards your company and by no means will it prevent me from purchasing your products in the future.

I wish to compliment you personally on your handling of this situation and express a sincere "Thank You" for your promptness.

Thank you again for your help, tell your boss I said you could have an extra 30 minutes for lunch today. Have a good day,

Greg Worsham

GEEDUBBYA@prodigy.net

So...........now the next move is TESTORS, we will find out how quickly they will ship to please a customer. And of course, i will keep ya'll informed.

have a good day,

Greg

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
This is not suprising customer service from Testors at all to me. They are just one of the most classic companies out there!

T

tigertc

Firm but reasonable/amicable. Perfect.

I reckon they will end up sending you a whole new kit. We await the outcome........

B

Bluewavestudios

I am impressed by the correspondence so far, Hopefully they (Testors) will sit up and take notice and provide you with the appropriate replacement for your kit.

Regards........Mark

A

alan2525

As far as customer service - getting any form of reply to a customers Email enquiry is a bonus! Sounds like they are a company which actually value customer satisfaction! **Suprised Look**

There aren't too many of those around now days! I once bought a part for my mountain bike and the guy in the shop sold me the wrong size for the seatpost, I went back again quite happily and told to the same guy that it wasn't the size I'd asked for and I needed to change it for the right one, He then said he couldn't accept the return as there was nothing wrong with it. Had to have a discussion about it being the wrong size before he finally gave me my money back.

I think it's probably best avoiding arguments with customers - anyhow I never went back there again and it closed down a little while later! What happened to those shops where you could go in and there would always be a few people in there having a chat with the shop keeper and browsing the stuff on sale...I guess they all closed down - the people in there probably never bought anything! :P

B

Bunkerbarge

I'm hearing stories nowadays about people who go into our last few remaining model shops, browse around and ask all the questions, look at the models and compare them, then go home and buy what they want on line.

I can only say we get what we deserve

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Alan & Bunker,

Well, first in regards to Alans post I will say this. Having dealt with Fujimi and ModelCraft over warped, missing or defective parts, I can say that these companies have all "stepped up to the plate" concerning problems I had with their products and resolved them satisfactorily.

But, and I will believe this to my dying day, the only reason the resolutions came so quickly was the members of this forum and the fact that I had mentioned to each manufacturer that I was a member here and that this forum boasts several thousand members world wide and the fact that i would be documenting my correspondence with them...here.

So whether ya'll realize it or not, the members here are alot more powerful than you might think. I would suggest that anytime a member has a problem with a kit and contacts a manufacturer, they should inform the manufacturer that they belong to this forum and give the web address and tell them that it will be documented here.

As for searching the store then buying online, I know this happens and is a major factor in why there arent many "mom and pop" hobby shops around anymore.

Ok, here is the latest communication from testors which I recieved today:

Dear Mr. Worsham,

I have placed your replacement parts order, and I forwarded your email

to quality control and they are already on the situation. So I thank

you

for your patience and for taking the time to write us about this

problem!

Best Regards,

Christie Van Hulle

Testors Customer Service

So they are ontop of the situation at the factory apparently. I will inform ya'll of any new developements or the arrival of the parts. We'll see how speedy they ship.

have a good day,

Greg

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
That's great news, Greg!!! Make sure to post the kit once completed-I want to see the walmart primer job in action:dancing1:

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Jeff,

well i plan on making the gates learjet a military version which is the C-21 so you might not get to see the primer this time around, but i am sure you will see it soon with one of the other models i am working on.

C-21 USAF:

C21.jpg

have a good day,

greg

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
ok, will do. Perhaps you could post a pic of priming once available since it now seems to be of great interest to me!!

G

GEEDUBBYA

:grinball2::grinball2::grinball2::grinball2::grinball2::grinball2::grinball2::grinball2::grinball2:

Howdy Guys and Gals,

Just wanted to provide some closure on this thread. I recieved both halves of the "Gates Learjet" fuselage, the parts that were warped and mishapen, today in the mail.

One week ago tomorrow (tuesday) was when i bought the model so I think that six days to get replacement parts is outstanding. I applaud Ms. Christie Van Hulle on her handling of this matter in such a timely manner. My hats off to the "testors corp." also for hiring such a high standard of employee.

Below is my letter to Ms. Van Hulle informing her of the reciept of the parts:

Hello Ms. Van Hulle,

I wanted to let you know that the replacement parts you had promised were recieved by my self this afternoon Monday, Jan. 28th, 2008.

I also wanted to compliment you on your handling of this matter. It is not often that you find a company with people who will take the time to ensure a satisfied customer in the timely manner that you did.

You have made me one very happy customer, thank you again.

Have a good day,

Greg Worsham

And here is the "contact page" for testors: The Testor Corporation

Have a good days guys and gals and thanks again for all of your words of support.

Greg aka GW

:grinball2::grinball2::grinball2::grinball2:

B

Bluewavestudios

Nice to see a positive result there Greg, Speaks bucket loads for the company and I do hope they see the posts on here too.

Nice to see a big company taking care of their customers, that sort of service is always appreciated and goes a long way for them too.

Well done Testors.

Regards........Mark

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It is very unfortunate that this sort of thing happens,sadly today there is very little if any inspection procedure on kits,it is cheaper for the manufacturers to replace parts/products rather than employ real live people to check every batch of parts coming off the line.

What bugs me are the large numbers of badly warped parts being placed into the boxes,dropping molten plastic into large stillages that have not been properly cooled in order to speed up production is simply not acceptable,machines should be adjusted to compensate for the cooling rate of the plastic otherwise these reject components will keep getting through the net.

Well done Greg,nicely laid out letter,to the point and polite.

I hope that Testors will keep you happy and come up with the goods in good order.

T

tigertc

Are Testors kits available in the UK?. I went to my local model shop last week and didnt see any, just walls and walls full of Airfix, Revell and Tamiya.