That's it - I give up!!!!!!

S

snapper41

Grrrrrr. Having spent over £50 on the new Pacific Coast Models Hurricane (metal wing), described as a 'deluxe kit', I've given up with it. I don't mind a bit of filling and sanding here and there, but this thing is a bloody nightmare; there's no way I'm going to get the fuselage to mate with the wings as the undercarriage bay is too deep and hits the cockpit floor. This pushes the whole fuselage section way above the wings. I'm really annoyed - for £50-plus, I expect a 'deluxe' kit to bloody well fit together properly!!!!!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I feel your pain. Don't bin it,put it away and maybe ,some time later ,you will see it as a challenging project to have a go at. In the meantime I recommend a good Tamiya (or similar) kit to refresh your modelling mojo.

Cheers

Steve

L

Lancasterb1

\ said:
I feel your pain. Don't bin it,put it away and maybe ,some time later ,you will see it as a challenging project to have a go at. In the meantime I recommend a good Tamiya (or similar) kit to refresh your modelling mojo.Cheers

Steve
I second that!

Andy

S

snapper41

I've got Hasegawa's FW190A-8 on the shelf - I think I'll take your advice!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It's not the first time i've heard PCM kits not making the grade. Shame really as they do turn out good models when built. Walk away for now and recharge your batteries on something else. You never know it might not seem to be that bad when you return to it

F

Fenlander

I can only repeat what has been said above. Just leave it a while. Bad kits are not always bad kits, sometimes they are kits that need to be built not put together. The engine especially on the MV Augusta that I am working on just does not go together at all. I have had to make it go together as best I can. I am definitely spoiled by the likes of Tamiya bikes that just work.

Just look at it again sometime when your expectations are not higher than they may be now. It will go together, it just cannot manage it without a bit of help from you. When you are ready, it will all be well.

S

Sky Raider

I agree with the guys, its best to let it lie and move onto something else and then return at a very much later date. Unfortunatly i cant do that due to size and space, it would be impossible for me to start another project. I just tend to move onto another section, this usually takes me weeks to complete and then i go back to the offending area again with a fresh perspective and then all come right again.

Andy

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I felt the same about lusty it wasn't a cheap kit and I didn't think I should have to use filler but I have I've now got to a part where the fit is so bad I can't fill it so I've put it to one side but will come back to it again one day soon

F

Fenlander

I am surprised at the Lusty John, I have read quite a few reviews and yes, there has been comments on some fit issues but none regarded as major. I think you must have got one that warped as it popped out the mould.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
I am surprised at the Lusty John, I have read quite a few reviews and yes, there has been comments on some fit issues but none regarded as major. I think you must have got one that warped as it popped out the mould.
This bit here was the bit I was getting frustrated with, there's no way it will fit and it will take a lot of filler

View attachment 27778

lusty.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi John

Mmmm, that looks like a problem.

Is it just that square section that won't fit in the hole? If it is, I'd take a slice out of the sides until it does fit. you may need to move one of the windows on the hull side to the left but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
HI Snapper

I've got the PCM Hurricane kit. I'll be mindful of your comments when building it. I'll see if there is any way this can be overcome but I do agree with Steve do not bin this kit!

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi John,from the picture it looks like the whole deck ,and therefore its associated superstructures,are all sitting proud of the sides of the hull (I don't know the correct nautical terms!) Is that the case? If it is I think you've got a big problem,sorry not to be more positive!

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Something is defiantly not right there John, that is not normal or it would have been shouted from the roof tops. If it is possible, I would get it back in bits and give it a severe looking at. Something is out of kilter somewhere

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
It's not even glued on I just can't get it to fit, I might try and chop some bits out see if I can get it to fit that way.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread

B

Bunkerbarge

To get back to the original thread, I can understand a lack of space being restrictive but the idea of a break is worth it's weight in gold. I would do something small and completely different that you can do with a minimum of space and give you that break you need. This could be something as simple as a figure or a very small montage with a couple of 1/35th figures. Putting a couple of Tamiya figures together will require minimal building skills but the painting can be very rewarding on figures and you could do the whole thing on a place mat.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Can only agree with what has been said, Dont bin it Snapper, That would be a waste of hard earned money. Put it in the box. Put the box on the shelf and forget about it for a while.

John; that is one big gap there! Hope mine dont have the same issue!

Ian M

S

sprayman

When I have had run ins with bad kits, I do as the others do put it away, then I build them as smashed,crashed or burnt out dio extras.

Last edited:
S

snapper41

Well, thanks to the arrival of my new best friend, Mr D. Remel, the offending undercarriage bay has been sanded down so that the fuselage now fits (ish)! So, the Hurricane's back under construction. It's still a crap fitting kit, though!

F

Fenlander

That's the spirit Snapper,Dremel the bugger into submission lol