The aircraft photo you took you like most!

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
This one, it's not much of an aircraft but I really like this photo, the rusty barbwire topped concrete wall not quite concealing one of the Soviet Union's most enigmatic cold wat jets! Well beyond it's glory days with fading weathered paintwork but still proudly displaying it's 'Red Star' in the dimming light of dusk that acts as a metaphor for this once feared mighty mach three interceptor! IMG_5485.JPG

MiG25R Riga airport air museum Latvia

Miko (this was my first close up of a Soviet jet, as I approached the museum, on first seeing it brought about a strange feeling of cognitive dissonance)

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
OK, I'll play.
I took this one of a high seas AS12 firing by my friend Kim. It was one of the last firings of a 'Warshot AS12'. Both his and my Wasp were being sent to the knackers yard in the sky. (Otherwise known as RNAY Wroughton).
What I like about the image is I managed to capture the second motor igniting as the booster motor took it off the rail and the sustainer motor kicked in for the final 27/28 seconds.
So HMS Rothesay's Wasp firing an AS12 air to surface missile.
IMG_1033.jpg

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Finished night shift in warehouse and went straight up to Owl End, Alconbury and waited all day for this bird and his mate to come out.... got an invite onto the base from a friend at the base and then rushed down to Owl End to wave goodbye.

CDWyVatW8AEdn47.jpg
Cannot show a lot of my aircraft collection as they are all on 35mm slide film.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Some great images here! Unfortunately I have nothing to show, I did take a ton of photos back in the 70's when we had airshows in my town, also loads of images from inside two hangers when I was allowed in one day but all these images were taken with a polaroid and were either lost/binned or just faded to nothing over the years. a real shame. My favourite one was me as a kid sitting on one of the wheels of a Lancaster (City of Lincoln one if I rememeber correctly)

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Some great images here! Unfortunately I have nothing to show, I did take a ton of photos back in the 70's when we had airshows in my town, also loads of images from inside two hangers when I was allowed in one day but all these images were taken with a polaroid and were either lost/binned or just faded to nothing over the years. a real shame. My favourite one was me as a kid sitting on one of the wheels of a Lancaster (City of Lincoln one if I rememeber correctly)
I feel your pain, I now would have to go buy an adapter and program to feed my slides through the computer, then edit them, then print them - no thanks the expense alone prohibits this, I will just use the slide viewer....

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I feel your pain, I now would have to go buy an adapter and program to feed my slides through the computer, then edit them, then print them - no thanks the expense alone prohibits this, I will just use the slide viewer....
Been down that road. Cheaper to take the slides to a local photographer and have them do all the work!!!! I did have a Canon scanner which had all the 'stuff' for copying slides. It could hold 5 x 35mil negatives or a single slide in its frame. Problem I had was many of my slides were half frame. (From an Olympus Trip circa 1971).
Evidently there is a way to copy slides on a conventional scanner/printer but I found they turned out rather dark!! At that point I held both hands up in surrender!!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
My favorite one from an airshow we used to have at the small airport close to where I live,

DSCF0122.JPG
The old Junkers Ju-52 tri-motor in civilian camo. You could buy a ticket for a flight in the "Tante Ju" over Bamberg that lasted about 15 minutes. At the end of the show, you could buy a flight in it back to Munich. Only prob was, it was a one-way flight and you had to find a way back home from Munich...

Prost
Allen

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
My favorite one from an airshow we used to have at the small airport close to where I live,

View attachment 508512
The old Junkers Ju-52 tri-motor in civilian camo. You could buy a ticket for a flight in the "Tante Ju" over Bamberg that lasted about 15 minutes. At the end of the show, you could buy a flight in it back to Munich. Only prob was, it was a one-way flight and you had to find a way back home from Munich...

Prost
Allen
And no! that is not me looking out of the window when this was taken in the 1930's....

Those were the days when you could stand on the side of the taxiway before the loony protesters spoiled it for everyone.

Olderthanyou

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Technically one the boss took rather than myself, but it perfectly illustrates the problems of photographing aircraft in flight. It's better than the one of the empty sky, but only just!

IMG_1100.JPG

No - the photograph is not upside down, the Sea Fury is.

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
I don't have a lot of aviation photos tbh, which is odd as I've had a life long interest in photography (until the demise of film alas) and I spent several years in my youff working as an aircraft engineer. My favourite has to be this one, if only because it's one of the few I have of my good lady wife at the controls.

Alli-in-the-air.jpg

Here's the pilot in question... (the sharp eyed among you will spot this is a different PA-28)

IMG_9560.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
...who's looking at the aircraft?!

The lady could be leaning on a five bar gate for all I care. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Good catch, A.J.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Technically one the boss took rather than myself, but it perfectly illustrates the problems of photographing aircraft in flight. It's better than the one of the empty sky, but only just!

View attachment 508805

No - the photograph is not upside down, the Sea Fury is.
A chap I flew with tin the RN was a regular pilot of the Sea Fury. (John Beattie). To date he has destroyed two. One at Prestwick Ayrshire, (in the sea to be truthful), after an undercarriage failure whilst landing. The second was in the Yeovil area crashing between a couple of trees. But honestly - he is a very good pilot!!!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My father flew the Sea Fury in the 1950s though he never destroyed one. He did do for a helicopter later, off Malta.

801 Squadron in, I think 1952. The geeky looking chap arrowed in blue is Ted Anson, who was with 801 at this time and who ended up an Admiral. According to my mother this was due to family connections, which were distant, and not due to the widely held view that he was an exceptional officer. My mum saw Anson on TV in the '70s, I think as part of the Ark Royal documentary, given that he was the last captain of that carrier, the one with Rod Stewart's awful theme song. Her only comment to me? 'Ted's lost a lot of his hair'.

My dad is arrowed in red.

801 arrowed.jpg

I wonder who the chap standing back left, who looks like he's bunked off school, might be!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have a Certificate of Merit signed and presented to me by FOCAS. (Flag Officer Carriers and Amphibious Ships). A certain Rear Admiral Anson!!
Did he have much hair?

My father successfully disposed of one of Her Majesty's helicopters at the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea in 1957.

dad ditch - Ocean.jpg

Last edited: