The Battle of Britain in 1/32

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi everyone

Here's the beginning of my next project, a study in 1/32 of Battle of Britain aircraft. Pictured below is the start of this collection from a Luftwaffe perspective (the RAF contribution will follow later).

As you can see, finishing this little lot will take some time but I'm hoping, once completed, to have a half decent BoB collection (an added bonus is it gives me back some much needed 'stash space'!!!)

The first of these builds has already begun. The first of my 109E builds (there are 5 in the stash!) is probably the most famous of all - Galland's 109 (W.Nr.5819).

After a little research and a few PMs to Steve (Stona) I decided on building this famous fighter as seen in some film stills. The film shows the 109 with uncapped spinner, Mickey Mouse emblem, Long range identification telescopic sight and 57 victories on the rudder. This is exactly the kind of machine I wanted as I'm not a fan of the covered spinner, feeling it just doesn't look like an Emil.

I wasn't going to post this build and so I didn't photograph the early parts stages. To summarise though the Eduard 109E4/7 is a dream to put together, and if you're methodical and regularly test fit parts you should encounter no problems at all. I'm using a few aftermarket pieces: Eduard Brassin wheels, Master Models armament set, Quickboost exhausts and RB productions Luftwaffe seatbelts.

I'm at the stage where choosing the correct profile was crucial (hence the research and discussions with Steve) and I hope this model is an accurate representation. As with Wittman's Tiger though nothing is straight forward and there's a lot of information that is contradictory or just plain wrong.

That aside I'm really enjoying the pace of this build (it's a damned sight faster than with the RC Tiger!) and it is coming together quite quickly. This particular 109 won't have too many updates in fact I may just post the finished model. This is not because I want to be secretive about build methods but simply because I have 3 Eduard 109s and I don't want to repeat myself. In fact I think the most useful build log would be a direct comparison between the Eduard and Cyber Hobby 109E-3s. I will build these in tandem and submit a comprehensive comparative build.

Anyway, here's Galland's 109 so far

Oh, before I forget, if anyone is wondering why I chose to purchase the Eduard 109E4/7 as opposed to the 109E/4 (which has decals more suited to the BoB) then it's because of the canopy issues with the early E4 kits. For anyone that doesn't know the earlier E4 kits suffered from a canopy that was too narrow at the top. To Eduard's credit they rectified this with subsequent releases and the E4/7 is one of them. I'm not sure but I think the E4 is now supplied with the wider canopy parts or at least these parts can be ordered from Eduard for free if you have the earlier release.

...And so my massive Battle of Britain project has started. I may take the odd break during this to build other things but I'll try to post regularly.

I hope this of interest.

All the best

Paul

First Name
Dave
Wow!.Thats some project you've set for yourself.Some great kits in your stash as well.Hopefully Revell will bring out a 1/32 Dornier 17Z to complete your collection.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That is some project Paul, hope you got plenty of display space.

Tony.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And where are all the British aircraft, or have you yet to buy them... lol

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

So looking forward to this! I do'nt build in this scale but its nice to see some one has the room for it!!!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks everyone for the interest in this project. It may be a little long but I'm going to try to pop in a few surprises here and there.

Ian - There's just no pleasing some administrators is there?!!!

Well alright, just to show that the defenders have not been forgotten here's a couple of pics of 'The Few' which, appropriately enough, are fewer in number than their 1/32 Luftwaffe counterparts!

Anyone thinking, 'hang on a minute, they didn't use MkV Spits in the BoB' I was in the process of backdating these 2 Mk Vs to Mk Is. The last pic shows my progress with the rescribe. I then heard that Revell were bringing out a retool Mk II (August?) and promptly put the Mk Vs on the back burner... for now. I'm looking to buy 2 more PCM hurricanes soon.

With regards to displaying these, my first priority is to photograph them and use this as the basis for another project - either publish a book, ezine or maybe a website, I haven't decided yet. Actually housing them will be an issue but I think I can get round it.

Thanks again everyone

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
.... and here was me thinking Derek (Caledonia) had some work to do with his Tomcat!

Best of British with all this lot Paul!

I can see one small problem though. As you build these you do indeed create more room for your stash - but your available display space is going to be seriously affected!

Gern

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

Yes, displaying these will be a challenge especially if Revell do get round to the Dornier 17!

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is an ambitious project!!!!

The 109 looks great. I'm a big fan of the RB Productions seat belts myself......they are a bit of a fiddle but invariably look the business. Amongst all the good stuff I particularly like the look of your oxygen regulator.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Gregg
I have always felt that the Luftwaffe aircraft and colour schemes were more interesting, what with all the mottling and different colour/shades!

When I did make aero based models in the past, it was predominately German for this reason.

Gregg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
very ambitious project

just how long do you think it will take to do?

First Name
Gregg
Some of the builds I have read about have taken up to 20yrs, and some are still unfinished!

Sorry posted in the wrong thread!::oops:

Gregg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I reckon 3-4 years to finish around 16 kits. Please remember though that I will be treating each kit on it's own merits, each aircraft is a project in itself although part of a broader theme. Each model will receive (roughly) the same amount of detailing and paint finish. I'm also planning figures for nearly all the aircraft, some of which I will need to sculpt myself (this will add quite a bit of time). What I'm working toward is some form of publication with all the builds and a gallery. I've seen books on the subject but nothing solely concentrating on 1/32. I'm also going to try and push the boundaries of the presentation and make it unique (hopefully!)

Steve: The RB seatbelts are good when complete, I've been eyeing the HGW sets as well (in fact, I have these for He111 builds).

Thanks for the info too regarding the dates and specific detail. As with the Wittman Tiger build, if future revelations prove the details i've gone with to be wrong then I'll live with them.

I'll have an update on the Galland 109 this weekend.

Anyone heard any more news on the Revell 1/32 Spit mkII?

Cheers, Paul

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Anyone heard any more news on the Revell 1/32 Spit mkII?Cheers, Paul
Meant to be out the end of july/beginning of august

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
If that's true I'll be adding at least 3 more boxes to the top of that pile by the end of August!

There seems to have been little fanfare though and no test builds, not even a CAD drawing so I'm finding that release date surprising.

Cheers Paul

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
\ said:
Steve: The RB seatbelts are good when complete, I've been eyeing the HGW sets as well (in fact, I have these for He111 builds).
Paul I would go with the HGW seat belt they do end up looking very realistic see my FW190 build. You've got a long job ahead of you, will watch with interest.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Vaughan

The HGW sets are good but the difference between those and the RB sets is close. I'd give HGW the edge and willprobably buy those in future but i see no reason to swap out the RB sets I have for the majority of my kits.

BTW the 190 is coming together really well.

I've had a really productive weekend and have moved the Galland 109 build massively. Here's a few pics, i've just taken these with normal lighting or with flash from the camera so some of the detail is lost but you get the idea.

As you can see I've actually managed to get most of the parts painted now, which is rather a pleasant surprise. This means that next weekend I can get down to applying the decals and assembling the parts.

When I've finished her I'll take some better shots but at the moment I'm just concentrating on the build.

Hope you like the progress

Paul

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking really nice Paul love the weathering on the under carriage. What washes are you using?