The Secret Mission

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
im most impressed Ian,they look great very well done, ;)

P

Polux

You are on the way to build a superb diorama, Ian! Fantastic work so far ;)

First Name
Richard
Well done Ian,

really love the scratch work, keep it up and take your time, this is going to be a beauty.

Cheers Richi

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Between getting things ready for tonight's Christmas dinner, got the roof slates sorted on the factory building.

Good idea or not I have also joined the two parts of the factory together. Should be fun to paint, but I do like a challenge!

View attachment 95039

Tapped to the wharf to see how it will look.
View attachment 95040

View attachment 95041

Made the big roof yesterday, Just stuck it on today. The long wall needed an edge of the roof so sorted that today..
I think that's it for today. Now where's that IPA. No not that one, this time I mean India Pale Ale!!! Cheers

Ian M

IMAG1814.jpg

IMAG1815.jpg

IMAG1816.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good work going on here Ian.....We'll make a dioramererist out of you yet! I too am cracking an IPA, even as I type....

Cheers!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been having a fiddle here and there as the time would allow.

Having built the factory and started to paint the house, I was in mixed minds. So now thinking along different lines. It means that the dio might grow a bit, so don't tell the misses!!

More as it develops.

Here are some of the bits I have sorted.

View attachment 95750

View attachment 95751

Got the pollets and bollards painted and weathered up. The colour looks a bit sharp in the photos but not so orange in real life. View attachment 95752

View attachment 95754

Did not like the gang planks that are in the kit as the "wood graining" was almost cartoon like. Found some wood planks and plastic strip and made new ones.
View attachment 95753

The Wooden posts that prevent the boats rubbing against the stone walls also looked 'naff' so I cut some oak into 10x10x100mm posts and gave them a splosh of paint then bound them top and middle with 'rope'. Need a second go at the algae with a deeper green.
The wharf has also been primed, not much to see there, so no photo.

Question time:

Granite. How can I paint some thing to look like granite? Had a couple of stabs at it. but It just looks grey and boring as well as to dark!!!

Would a wharf in a tidal zone had stocks for boats to settle on when the water receded, or would the boats just rest down on the mud.

I can't just go done the road and look for several reasons. 1) its dark. 2) its blowing a gale, 3) most importantly the difference here between low and high tide is about 20cm lol

Ian M

IMAG1882.jpg

IMAG1883.jpg

IMAG1884.jpg

IMAG1885.jpg

IMAG1886.jpg

P

Polux

Excellent paintwork so far, I like the old and rusty look of those bits Ian.

Granite....you can try with a sponge or similar....Like a hair brush, I'm sure it can works...

First Name
Richard
Looks great Ian,

say were did you get those boat thingies?

Cheers Richi

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Excellent paintwork on the bits,and bobs, I like the rusty look of those bits Ian. ;)

very well done so far,

I think with the Granite,with you use some shading in dark blues, along with the grays,mite,work,

so in the cracks,a deep blue to dark gray,and along with on the upper side lite,dark shades of grays and blues,

as with some Granite,i have seen you can pick up the blues,just use it to brake the gray tones up,

hope you under stand what im getting att and its of some help,:rolleyes:

maybe for were the boat rest,s with lpw tide,some old tyers in the mud, ;)

to hole with the load of it

Last edited by a moderator:
J

John Rixon

May I suggest, for the granite, a technique that works for me once, and following on from what Monica suggested, sponging layers that are quite translucent. If you use acrylic paint (with at least 50% clear medium), and a small natural sponge, you can build up a complex surface of many greys and blue greys. This technique, known as glazing, in the art world that I hail from, works a treat, and allows you to make adjustments to colours on the fly. Rooney system 3 and their glazing medium work perfectly for this, and I fooled a lot of folks with a chunk of styrofoam once! The natural sponge, although pricey, does give a more organic look, and will replicate the complex surface of granite really well.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Monica and John.

I was playing with a sponge, but it just turned out a more or less solid dark grey. I know at scale it would appear mono colour, but we would expect to see a bit of texture. It is what we have come to expect after all.

I have all the time in the world so I have loads of time to play. lol

Ian M