The Smythemeister's Albatros D.III

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
There’s a good tutorial (at least used to be) on the Wingnut wings web site for that. You can get decals for it as well.
Thanks for the info Tim :smiling3:
Looking forward to the finale!
Steve
HA!!.... Hope you're prepared for a long wit then Steve! ;)
AK3 Dark Sand base coat, then panel definitions added with pencil. Gloss varnish to seal all in, so mistakes can be easily wiped off. Then streaks of thinned Vallejo Natural Wood, then New Wood added, with a small brush - it took me a few attempts, wiping all off & starting again - then sealed in with a gloss varnish tinted with orange
View attachment 498901
Apologies for jumping in with my process, it just takes a bit of time. I didn't use retarder, the model is small enough for the paint not to dry when adding streaks.
I admit it was an experiment, as I didn't have any oils ( I tried several methods on my guinea pig P-51 before comitting to the real thing ).
The model is actually the Revell reboxing of the Eduard model, that I got at a bargain price ( surprise, surprise ) - I did look at wood decals, but that would hve tripled the total price of the model
Dave
That looks impressive Dave! I'm not interested in decals for the wood effect... going to be using acrylics too. ;)
'Poor detail', as others have said, it's probably not missing any detail, the aircraft just didn't have any. Most WW1 aircraft are just covered in big sheets. But anyway, what a colourful subject you have chosen here. Nice one.
Cheers Colin, certainly is colourful eh?! :smiling3:
As much as the 'varnished cabinet' look is in vogue, and an interesting painting exercise, is there much evidence it ever actually happened?
One of the few arguments for is that less paint or covering saved weight, whereas an interesting argument against is the misinterpretation of light coloured fuselages.
However, 'Albatri' models used to be painted yellow, but on period orthochromatic film yellow looks black. So that doesn't add-up either
Many streaky paint techniques go well for props though
Maybe every WW1 German 'plane should just be painted red!
Interesting points Steve, I'll just go for the "purdy colours" approach though! ;)
It’s a weight saving device Steve. Unfinished ply would absorb moisture increasing weight and reducing structural strength so it had to be finished. Paints of the time had no varnish content so were varnished afterwards to keep out moisture. Varnished ply would therefore give the same protection, but would weigh significantly less than a painted fuselage because there is no paint there. I read this somewhere, but can’t remember where.
More interesting information there Tim,thanks for that... I'm certainly learning bucket loads on this thread!!

...... T.B.C.....

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I haven't any evidence per se but there are a lot of colour profiles showing the varnished plywood finish, dating back to the middle of last century! There are modern replicas with this construction
View attachment 498962
This is a D.Va replica.............
Dave
Nice one Dave, that's a great pic. :smiling3:
Now THAT is very interesting
...tis isn't it !! :smiling3:
Can't beat an Albatros Andy. So many interesting schemes and techniques to try.
I'm sure you're going to have a lot of fun with it.
Cheers
Paul
Cheers Paul,I hope so. :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
.... Cont'd....
Well,after all that yap,I guess I should put a little progress!
Doesn't look much, but here's the cockpit stuff together....
IMG20240102201314.jpg
It's quite nicely done and went together well :smiling3: I have actually painted it up and glued the two halves together,but I can't find the pictures I took :sad:
I'll get some more taken this evening when, hopefully, I'll get some more done too. ;)
Cheers for now :smiling3:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Here's a thing about the varnishing
Apparently, so I am informed, Albatross specified that a pale green paint was supposed to cover the fuselage, but only 100 grams was supposed to be used!? That must have been the lightest, thinnest paint ever!
And who listens to manufacturer instructions anyway!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Here's a thing about the varnishing
Apparently, so I am informed, Albatross specified that a pale green paint was supposed to cover the fuselage, but only 100 grams was supposed to be used!? That must have been the lightest, thinnest paint ever!
And who listens to manufacturer instructions anyway!
Slightly off topic but!!
Had to strip all the paint from a Wasp helicopter. It was weighed prior to stripping, once all paint was removed and then again once repainted and the weight difference was amazing. Weight was critical to such a small flying machine and the reduced all up weight meant more could be carried.
So with the biplanes of WW1 having less paint would mean more ordinance could be carried and if on recce sorties them more power to weight would have given it an advantage. Clever thinning out the paint!!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I'm rather late to the party Andy but looking forward to this now. Interesting thoughts regarding the wood finish. Certainly a varnished wood would look good. Nice work on the cockpit.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think one of the things I like best about the Albatros was they where really colourful. Pushing the envelope between camouflage and Disruption to the limit.

As for the was it wood or was it paint:
At 1/72 you will fight to even see wood grain, At 1/48 yes it would be noticeable, but in detail?

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Nice. That green on the Polish replica may be the supposed overall colour Albatros intended. And there's that yellow too

Hmm, bit of mould slippage on the cockpit I notice. Any other fit issues like that you're finding, because it all looks pretty damn good otherwise?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That green on the Polish replica may be the supposed overall colour Albatros intended. And there's that yellow too
The Polish Albatros has a light green & lilac camo on the upper surfaces of the wings - and I think the yellow is supposed to be doped linen - like all RFC day fighters!
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very grand these WW1 cockpits, lots of wood and brass. Quite a nice place to be, well, on the ground anyway.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well guys,
After seeing the recent posts on this GB my conscience was pricked!!
So,I did a little more on the paintwork... Still more to go..
IMG20240224184124.jpg
Nearly done eh?!! :tongue-out2:
OK, maybe not, but my mojo is back on this now :thumb2:.