The Smythemeister's TBF/TBM 1 Avenger. Italeri 1/48

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks very much Allen,I think that you can tell that Cohan and I really enjoyed this one, despite some problems along the way. :smiling3:
The Turret barrel is actually a n AM metal one which came in 2 parts,(Jacket and barrel itself),if you take a look halfway down page 3 of this thread there are a couple of pics,I just assembled them as per instructions.... don't fancy trying to drill out a metal barrel!! ;)
Looking forward to tackling the Dauntless next :smiling3:
The barrels were already drilled out Andy, at least they were on the one you kindly gave to me……must be blocked with paint……

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
By the way Chaps....
Whilst researching various Avenger related stuff throughout the build I came across two famous Aircrew ....
I THINK I knew this anyway, not sure though,Ex Pres George Bush Senior was an Avenger pilot....and...
... The Iconic Movie Star, Paul Newman,was a Ball Turret Gunner in one as well.
Yep, GB Senior went through three of ‘em…..hence the famous picture of him in Barbara III…..shot down once, all other crew killed, for the first one, and ditched on take off after an equipment failure for the second. All his aircraft were named Barbara named after his wife. Enlisted on his eighteenth birthday and was nineteen when he got shot down.
8DB326CA-35AE-4374-BDD4-96B452897ECB.jpeg

…and for completeness, here’s Paul Newman. Got dropped from pilot training for colourblindness, and qualified as an aerial gunner by the skin of his teeth…….
33667309-2AD0-4A75-8C87-7FB21BF7E560.jpeg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Common in VN as jamming M16s' looked for any remedy idea & condoms were readily available. WWII aircraft used tape over MG ports commonly.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
... be warned it's not great...
... but picture heavy!! ....
View attachment 482816
View attachment 482817
View attachment 482818
View attachment 482819
View attachment 482820
View attachment 482821
View attachment 482822
View attachment 482823
Well, that's it, despite the obvious amateurish attempts,I can see progress in my Wingy builds... just as well really... I've bought quite a lot of em recently!! ;)
So then, that's my entry for Karl's GB .. BUT, not the only one!! ;)
... another one to be started soon, hopefully tomorrow. :smiling3:
As always,thanks for all of your support and comments... and the abuse is also very appreciated :smiling3:
Cheers for now,
Andy
Andy

For someone who doesn't do wingy things, that really has turned out very well indeed my good man!!

Very well done indeed!!!

Just sorry I've not been able to follow it all the way through.

Again very well done.

ATB.

Andrew