The Smythemeister's TBF/TBM 1 Avenger. Italeri 1/48

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well there's no hiding it's plump shape & size but you've made a great job of it Andy. Looking forward to the second instalment.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm all in on this one Mr. Smiff.......she's a dandy for such a big girl! You did a terrific job on this and should be well pleased with the results. Looking forward to your next (smaller) project. :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well there's no hiding it's plump shape & size but you've made a great job of it Andy. Looking forward to the second instalment.
Thank you very much Andy, it's certainly a fat old bird.... In my cabinet, it's on a par,sizewise,(or maybe even a bit larger), with my Mosquito and Beaufighter!! ;)
I'm all in on this one Mr. Smiff.......she's a dandy for such a big girl! You did a terrific job on this and should be well pleased with the results. Looking forward to your next (smaller) project. :thumb2:
Hi Rick,great to see you,and thanks very much for that,indeed,"A big girl"... Have to say mind, really pleased that I've built one... a great aircraft for sure. :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice Andy. I like that a lot. Something for me to aim for then…..interesting to see the differences in the kits……I’m going to need all the three months for mine though…..

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just for you Tony...
View attachment 482825
Bench cleared,ready to go...
... Not until tomorrow mind. ;)
Nice one ! Glad you got this Revell dauntless and not the other one . This ones a rebox of the accurate miniatures tooling and is excellent , the other Revell dauntless is the OLD Monogram kit from 1959 , before monogram started taking things a bit more seriously , i think it had ‘ working features ‘ like folding five brakes and retractable undercarriage. - great if you are 8 years old and its 1959 . Looking forward to seeing this build , cheers tony ( 58 years old , 2023)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very nice Andy. I like that a lot. Something for me to aim for then…..interesting to see the differences in the kits……I’m going to need all the three months for mine though…..
Thanks Tim, I'm looking forward to seeing your British version. I've been lucky this past month,what with all of the bank holidays and a lot of our friends on holidays, I've had a lot more bench time than usual ;)
Just caught up Andy and what a fantastic finish on that big bird, deserves its own shelf
Cheers Mick, kind of you to say so...and yes,it has taken up a shelf all of it's own! ;)
Fantastic job Andy. You should be very pleased with the final product.
Thanks Doug, I've learned some things I'd do differently to take into the next build,but yes I am. :smiling3:
Very nice mate,your getting pretty good at the wingy things.
Cheers mate,..... I'll keep plugging away at them until I crack it. ;)
Nice one ! Glad you got this Revell dauntless and not the other one . This ones a rebox of the accurate miniatures tooling and is excellent , the other Revell dauntless is the OLD Monogram kit from 1959 , before monogram started taking things a bit more seriously , i think it had ‘ working features ‘ like folding five brakes and retractable undercarriage. - great if you are 8 years old and its 1959 . Looking forward to seeing this build , cheers tony ( 58 years old , 2023)
Excellent info there thanks Tony, although I must admit that it's more luck than judgment.... I just really liked the box art,("Shallow"?...ME?...how very dare you!! ;) )
Andy,(57 and 2 3rds ,2023)
Wait a Minute!!!! I was eight years old in 1959!! If it was good enough back then, it's certainly good enough today! Gawd, I hope I'm not redundant!!! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out::tongue-out2:;)
Rick...You?..."Redundant"?....never Sir..
.... Just....."Vintage" !! ;)

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wait a Minute!!!! I was eight years old in 1959!! If it was good enough back then, it's certainly good enough today! Gawd, I hope I'm not redundant!!! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out::tongue-out2:;)
I'm with you on this Rick - I was at Secondary School preparing to take an unsuspecting world by storm (well, by a Summer shower ...) in'59. Quality has no age limit!
Steve

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morning Mr. Smiff,

Thank you for finally posting up some great pics of the TBF and, with all kidding aside?, I must say you and Cohan have done a truly fantastic job on this wing thingy, right down to the finish. Great paint, great figs (except the poor guy in the belly you can't see), realistic weathering and a nice clean build all around. Respect Andy!!! I think you are enjoying the wing thingy side and the Dauntless will really shine when it's built too!!! I have looked over the pics a few times and am most impressed!!! A quick observation if I may, my friend. Did you forget to drill out the MG barrel in the ball turret???...Just wondering...

Prost
Allen

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Morning Mr. Smiff,

Thank you for finally posting up some great pics of the TBF and, with all kidding aside?, I must say you and Cohan have done a truly fantastic job on this wing thingy, right down to the finish. Great paint, great figs (except the poor guy in the belly you can't see), realistic weathering and a nice clean build all around. Respect Andy!!! I think you are enjoying the wing thingy side and the Dauntless will really shine when it's built too!!! I have looked over the pics a few times and am most impressed!!! A quick observation if I may, my friend. Did you forget to drill out the MG barrel in the ball turret???...Just wondering...

Prost
Allen
Thanks very much Allen,I think that you can tell that Cohan and I really enjoyed this one, despite some problems along the way. :smiling3:
The Turret barrel is actually a n AM metal one which came in 2 parts,(Jacket and barrel itself),if you take a look halfway down page 3 of this thread there are a couple of pics,I just assembled them as per instructions.... don't fancy trying to drill out a metal barrel!! ;)
Looking forward to tackling the Dauntless next :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
By the way Chaps....
Whilst researching various Avenger related stuff throughout the build I came across two famous Aircrew ....
I THINK I knew this anyway, not sure though,Ex Pres George Bush Senior was an Avenger pilot....and...
... The Iconic Movie Star, Paul Newman,was a Ball Turret Gunner in one as well.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Paint the tip pink.....to keep the salt air out.
Really?!!... Blimey,did that actually work?.... Might look a bit phallic though! ;)
That's a great result Andy. Well done with the canopy masking. Always a nerve wracking time.
Thanks very much Jim,yes the masking was a bit daunting,but actually not too bad. :smiling3: