The vengeance of Smaug

First Name
Tommy
Hello Polux,

You can use a cyanoacrylate or epoxy based glue, the epoxy based glue is only needed if the parts is very large and heavy.

(Your figure is white metal. White metal is a tin/led alloy with various other elements.)

P

Polux

\ said:
Hello Polux,You can use a cyanoacrylate or epoxy based glue, the epoxy based glue is only needed if the parts is very large and heavy.

(Your figure is white metal. White metal is a tin/led alloy with various other elements.)
Hi Tommy, thanks

Excuses my ignorance and little vocabulary!!

Thanks again

Polux

B

Boldman

I have the huge TSR Red Dragon metal figure from the 1990s and when I built it I used Plastic Padding chemical metal to fix the large and heavy parts like the wings.

I can't believe there are no images of this on the 'net! The best thing is this picture which was the inspiration for the model. When I get home I'll take a photo of my dragon...

View attachment 38400

Evil-Red-Dragon.jpg

P

Polux

\ said:
I have the huge TSR Red Dragon metal figure from the 1990s and when I built it I used Plastic Padding chemical metal to fix the large and heavy parts like the wings.I can't believe there are no images of this on the 'net! The best thing is this picture which was the inspiration for the model. When I get home I'll take a photo of my dragon...
Hi Andrew!!

Fantastic draw!! It was a draw of the book front?? is it???

Thanks I wish to see your pics

Regards

polux

B

Boldman

TSR's Red Dragon

Post moved to its own topic to avoid distractions with Polux' build.

Last edited:
B

Boldman

The Red Dragon painting was used in numerous AD&D works during the 90s

P

Polux

Hi to all!!

Now is the moment...

I cannot stop remembering and thinking about histories of medieval fantasy, knights, elfs, thieves with hood and dungeons...

So my near diorama will be a small recreation with these miniatures in metal, since I found some without doing where there was an archer and Bilbo!!

This way so I will do a scene where "Bard I" shoots the arrow that gives death to the life of the Dragoon in the City of the Lake... I will Try to apply everything learned with you all to paint these figures in so limited scale and to create a small temple or exterior room (it's an idea). I'm not an expert in " The Lord of the Rings ", but great enjoyment playing with his board games with my friends. I wait to do something nicely and with a "romantic" touch.

At the same time, will paint a viking on horseback (Andrea Miniatures) on scale 1/32, precious figure!!!

Here you have a bit of the history that will give life to the diorama.

Best regards

Polux

The Bard of Esgaroth

Though a descendent of Girion, lord of Dale, it was as a mere captain of archers the Bard and his men fought in battle against Smaug the worm. He stood his ground amongst the inferno of wooden buildings and losed his arows, to no avail, until a thrush alighted beside him and told him of the weak spot in the dragon's armour. Hearing this, Bard let fly his very last arrow which found its mark and brought the great worm crashing to his death in the Long Lake. Bard later refounded the town of Dale, becoming its first king.

C

CDW

That does look a nice figure to paint, i'm sure you'll do it justice.

If you're thinking of putting it into a diorama then even better !!!! :smiling3: :smiling3:

D

dubster72

Sounds like a great idea Polux! I'm sure you'll do it really well. I see Smaug hanging over the lake with a portion of Esgaroth visible which is where Bard is crouched, about to let his arrow fly!

You could also add lighting, as it was by the moon's light that Bard saw the missing scale on Smaug's chest ;)

I look forward to seeing how this works out.

Cheers

Patrick

C

CDW

Nice idea for a scene Patrick...The portion of Esgaroth could be ruined and in embers to stay with the theme.

D

dubster72

I like that Colin! I'm a huge Tolkein fan ( books not the films! ) so Polux's idea has set my mind racing!

C

CDW

\ said:
I like that Colin! I'm a huge Tolkein fan ( books not the films! ) so Polux's idea has set my mind racing!
Films are always dissapointing after you read a book i find, i'm a big Tolkein fan too (listening to "fellowship" read by Rob Ingliss at the moment, that way i can have the pleasure of the book and do other stuff at the same time :smiling3: )

In line with this thread ... i always pictured in my mind the "black Arrow" fired by Bard the bowman to be much more impressive than normal (i.e. overall larger & maybe ornate?)....maybe this could be interpreted in your diorama Polux?

P

Polux

Hi Mates!!!

Wuuaaauuu.... Nice ideas you give me!!!

My braind is racing too. I'm glad to see you (Patrick and Colin) are Tolkien fans. That hurts that they separate so many Km, we might make a hand to hand and make some scenes!!! Some day we must do three a mini / mike GB, and the one who wants, sorry!! Tomorrow I will going to the library to look for some book of illustrations of Tolkien, with luck I will find some Esgaroth's drawing where to be able to inspire. Patrick your moon gives me headache!! I don't stop thinking how doing it without putting "walls" in the diorama... And my great idea is to create a watery surface with light in his interior. By night and dark the radiance will come from the water, as if the reflection of the moon was.

My first intention was do a small diorama with base of wood, 21cm/8cm aprox... Remember the size of the figured are really small. Bilbo 17mm and Bard 30mm.....

Not as being grateful for your kind help!!??

Best regards

Polux

C

CDW

i like the idea of under water lighting.

one idea could be to use glass, paint the base dark blue to give it depth then pop some form of light in between the base and glass. the top of the glass could be textured with some clear sealent tinted with some blue paint to give it a rippled water effect.

P

Polux

HI to All!!

Here you have a few photos of the figures that can form this diorama. The "enormous" Bilbo, and one of these archers. The first one is very static as the original Bard, very statically also... The archer with hood is fantastic and with very much movement .... but ride was chewing....

Thank you very much for your idea Colin.

Esgaroth .... city in flames wrapped of water .... that I defy....

Regards

Polux

View attachment 43869

View attachment 47093

smaug.jpg

D

dubster72

That's a lovely looking Smaug Polux! I can see how it's going to look really good when it's painted.

Cheers

Patrick

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Polux as Patrick said looking good. You can see where this is going and set on that base will make a stunning display piece