Thing I've already learnt on my first build

D

Dazaiki

Paint on paint does not stick no matter how much I pray.

1:48 scale makes my fingers double in size.

Even with glasses on some of the fine detail seems to need a magnify glass to paint. Do other people find this.

Slow down, over excitement!

I can see improvement needed on all areas already.

Stop touching the model with my sweaty hands. Is there people that wear gloves all the time?

Cheap tweezers are a liability .

Everything piece I practiced on with my air brush went down flawlessly.

Everything I airbrushed for the model didn't ! I think you tense up for the real thing.

All in all having fun.

The lynx HMA8 Airfix seem a great fit after trying a dry fit, other than my window problem, acceptable now after getting advice here. Not to stressed about this really this is a practice model for me to try stuff out.

Shall post some photos [emoji4]

First Name
Mike
I admire your approach: rather than getting discouraged by the (inevitable) things that go wrong, you've analyzed and itemized them so you know what to look for next time. Believe me, everything you've listed there will be familiar to most (if not everyone) on this forum. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

First Name
Mike
I think you may be having us on, Dazaiki ;) That certainly doesn't look anything like my first model...

D

dubster72

I'd add : dry fitting goes great, the moment glue is applied, it's like the parts have morphed into something else!

The Lynx is looking good though :smiling3:

First Name
Neil
You didn't get caught out by:

Carpet Monster will always steal a part that is noticeably missed never an optional part.

One piece will end up glued to your finger.

The carpet monster has a cousin Laminate Monster who is equally adept at thieving parts.

There will be one gluey finger smudge just when you think you have it cracked.

At least one piece is immune to glue and will not stick no matter how much you put on it.

Congratulations, looks better than my mossie - and at least you have the courage to post pics of it - mine is left as a personal reminder only.

Neil

D

Dazaiki

Quite hard on the weathering and wear inside, I tryed lots of different things dry brush , full washes , different tones and shades. And it just built up lol

I shall pretend she's on the last week of a hard six month detachment

[emoji3]

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Paint on paint does not stick no matter how much I pray.

use a primer all the time

Even with glasses on some of the fine detail seems to need a magnify glass to paint. Do other people find this.

sometimes.....i want one of those desk mounted illuminated magnifiers

Stop touching the model with my sweaty hands. Is there people that wear gloves all the time?

one of my rituals is to wash my hands on the way to bench, every time i go to do any kitbodging

but the lynx seems to going together great :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work so far on that Lynx. And yes many of those things you listed are familiar to me.

D

Dazaiki

\ said:
I'd add : dry fitting goes great, the moment glue is applied, it's like the parts have morphed into something else!The Lynx is looking good though :smiling3:
Sounds about right [emoji6]

D

Dazaiki

\ said:
You didn't get caught out by:Carpet Monster will always steal a part that is noticeably missed never an optional part.

One piece will end up glued to your finger.

The carpet monster has a cousin Laminate Monster who is equally adept at thieving parts.

There will be one gluey finger smudge just when you think you have it cracked.

At least one piece is immune to glue and will not stick no matter how much you put on it.

Congratulations, looks better than my mossie - and at least you have the courage to post pics of it - mine is left as a personal reminder only.

Neil
I'm sure that will happen in time lol

I only posted my pics because there aren't that many builds of helicopters and it might spark some interest..

Also I can look back in a few years and hopefully have a laugh.

W

Willi262

Or... you cut a part off the runner and it jumps off and vanishes into another dimension.

D

Deleted member 3568

Great work on the lynx and yes I am very familiar with all the things you mention and in my case they never seem to go away.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Why do you think I build wrecks...hide all the mistakes in rust and muck.

Looking okay and glad you're sticking with it.

Si:smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Every model is a learning curve. The more you do, the more you learn. I am one of the worst people on here to criticise my work. It's normal I suppose.

Stick with it and as you say, slow down. Take your time (hard I know sometimes) and think about what you are doing. Clean the surfaces before you paint them and wear gloves if you think you need to.

But the most important bit of advise I can offer you and everyone else reading the thread........... Enjoy yourself and your work

First Name
Adrian
That looks great and like others have said, it's better than my first model.

As for finger prints, I now wear powder free latex gloves when building any model, partly due to the fact I have constantly natural greasey fingers.

I'm always excited about opening a box to start, less so by the time it's nearing it's end though :smiling3:

Adrian

S

Stevekir

\ said:

Everything I airbrushed for the model didn't ! I think you tense up for the real thing.
I have never used cotton gloves. I wash my hands to remove grease. With aeroplanes, I hold them at the edges of wings and rear stabilisers. With a car, I hold them underneath.

I found it difficult at first to airbrush evenly. The main problem was the root where wings join the fuselage and similar incurved areas on other models. Paint went on more thickly there, probably because of the constricted airflow in that constricted area. The answer is to increase the speed of movement of the airbrush.

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
I have never used cotton gloves. I wash my hands to remove grease. With aeroplanes, I hold them at the edges of wings and rear stabilisers. With a car, I hold them underneath.
Latex gloves are the future :smiling3: Cotton could leave fluff on any tacky surfaces, saying that some of my models are taken out of transport boxes and onto tables for displays at shows with cotton gloves on :smiling3:

Adrian