Thinning Acrylic/Enamel/Oils

B

backonthecase

I've always used water, screen wash and surgical spirit to thin acrylics, with better results one after the other respectively....

I've often wondered if Meths would work, it's available in Asda but I don't know anything about it (apart from tramps drink it and it's very flammable lol) i.e. would it be for acrylics or oil/enamels?

Perhaps someone can shed some light....

Thanks

Stuart

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Meths won't do much for enamels or oils. It is an alcohol,basically ethanol with some nasty stuff added to stop people drinking it,and I often use it for cleaning some acrylics out of airbrushes etc so I see no reason why it shouldn't act as a thinner for those. It might be worth experimenting. Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is often used and is just another alcohol with a slightly bigger molecule. Closely related compounds often have many similar properties,like what they will dissolve.

CH3-CHOH-CH3 is IPA (though you're not supposed to write it like that! I figure most of us are model builders not chemists :smiling3: )

CH3-CH2OH is ethanol

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
B

backonthecase

Chemistry's in my blood too but not to the same extent (no pun intended)

I was *guessing* that Meths would be lighter and dry quicker, so dunno if that's a blessing or a curse for acrylic... might pick up a bottle and see

Thanks Steve!