Thinning for brush painting?

S

stuo74

Im now ready (ish) to tackle my first build! Ive cobbled together a model purely to try techniques on as and when i need to....probably quite often!!

I attempted a paint job on said prototype and have run into this problem already, when i tried a panel wash the effect was almost non exsitent. I put this down to the paint being too thick and filling in the panel lines. As i don`t yet have an airbrush i`ll be brush painting for the time being. Should I be thinning the paint to do this or maybe re-scribe the panel lines?

Cheers

Stu

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi stu , its always adviseable to thin enamels if brush painting , even if only slightly. It sounds like the paint is too thick on the model and filling in the panel lines. I personally wouldnt be too pre-occupied with panel line washes either, a lot of the time they are distinct enough without any highlighting. Keep practising with the brush , stunning results can be achieved using this method , have a look at rons excellent tutorial in this link http://www.scale-models.co.uk/tutorials/12181-brush-painting-1-48-bf109e-4-helmut-wick.html hope this helps , cheers tony