thinning vallejo model color airbrushing

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I did roughly 50:50 the other day. I usually spray Model Air but had to use Colour for RLM72 (Model Colour 866 being the nearest equivalent) and much to my surprise I found it sprayed really well and was very forgiving. I used Vallejo thinner.

T

tecdes

Alex I do about Barry's thinning ratio with Vallejo thinner. Have also used a bit of retarder. I have found with both Vallejo Air & Model that it depends on the colour.

Airbrushed cokpit interior green last night & it is a perfect colour to airbrush. Other colours I have had problems with & had to thin & then thin.

Laurie

D

dubster72

With Vallejo, try starting with the thinnest mix you can, say 70/30 and a low pressure such as 10 PSI.

Try that on some scrap & vary the paint/thinner ratio until you're happy with the results.

Personally, I like a 60/40 ratio (roughly!) and about 10-12 PSI.

Play around with it until it works for you.

Cheers

Patrick

T

tecdes

Also to add Andrew that we do not know what size needle/nozzle size your are using. This makes it difficult to give more precise detail.

I have to thin a lot more using a .2 nozzle than I do with a .4 nozzle. May also depend on your make of airbrush. A factor is are you stopping & starting a lot in which case you may need to thin a bit more & also perhaps use retarder. Yesterday I forgot to clean my airbrush & left it for a couple of hours. But amazingly it picked up where it had left off. It was the interior green again.

Best advice as Patrick says just experiment.

Laurie

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
I have

1x 0.5 RV-CR

1x 0.3 RV-CR

1x 0.2 HP-BR hi line

What are the ratios for the 3 brushes?

T

tecdes

That has put me on the spot Alexander. I actually use Harder & Steenbeck brushes but would not have thought they were much different from Iawata as they are both good quality.

For the .2 nozzle. Model Air try about 20% thin

Model try 50% though you may need more thinning. If you look at Model Air after thinning you need a similar consistency for the model.

Do not use a .3 or .5. But with a .4 Model air no thinning. Model I would go for 30%.

I use 20 PSI on the compressor.

These are rough figures & as said by Patrick practice & see the result. There are very many ifs & buts. Temperature etc. all make a difference & colour. Not the actual colour just consistency of the paint for some reason. Black, silver & steel in Model seem very thick.

Found once I had a bit of experience with practice you could gauge the thinner element.

You may already do the following but here goes. If your airbrush is gravity fed then what I do is to pour in a little paint then the thinner then the rest of the paint as required. I then use a smallish brush to give the paint & thinner a rake around. Found if you put the thinner in first you can get a good squirt of thinner out first. Squirt on an old discarded plastic bottle to test before airbrushing on a model.

Laurie

D

dubster72

An easy rule of thumb : the smaller the nozzle, the thinner the paint & the lower the pressure.

I'm surprised you spray at 20 PSI Laurie, I'd find that like fighting a firehose!

Personally I don't think the make of brush matters a bit. Essentially, there are no exact ratios or whatever to use. What one person finds great might not work for another - the pressure difference between Laurie & myself is an excellent example!

Experiment & practice, it's the best way to find your own style & preference.

R

Richy C

Patrick has pretty much sumed it up , my ratio for model colour using a iwata cr5 is roughly 60/40 and iwata br3 roughly 50/50 for PSI I use between 15 to 18 , if I`m using say alclad I go down to about 10 psi , these methods work for me but what works for one person may not work for another , as Patrick has said practice and see what works for you.

for model air I still add a few drops of thinners again this works for me although some people swear you don`t need to, there is no magic formula .

Cheers

Richy

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Thanks guy for your help. The lessons I have learnt are key. smaller needle more thinner (using the 50:50 raito as base calulation)