Tips for spraying White?

B

Buttonman

Hi guys anybody got some tips to spraying vallijo air white?????

Can't get it to flow, The airbrush is very clean the needle and nozzle are straight and not split.

any other colour flows lovely just flush it threw with cleaner and change paint.

am off to the model shop for some different make of white acrilic.

Hope you can help

Martin

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
What is it you're spraying Martin? I ask because personally i tend to have trouble getting coverage with white model paints too, what i usually do is to just use aerosols if its a big area. The Halfords white acrylic primer gives a lovely smooth matt white finish and their Gloss Appliance White gives a (surprise!) great gloss finish. I'm just guessing here ,but maybe the pigment in white acrylic is bigger sized particles so it might clog a fine needle/nozzle ? Hopefully some paint expert will come along soon , until then dont forget the aerosol option , hope this helps , cheers tony

C

CDW

I guess they use titanium dioxide for the white pigment?, if so then this is able to be ground very very finely so should be OK through a brush, the disadvantage of such a fine substance is it can and will compact severely, the guys use to leave white car paint mixing for a lot longer than the other colours to allow the pigment to break up.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Can't say I've ever sprayed Vallejo white. I tend to use Tamiya white. But I've had a problem with all my Vallejos lately. Maybe I didn't shake them enough.

T

tecdes

Martin. Sprayed the wholes of the underside of my Catalina 1/48 which is the largest area so far & the wings are about 21" *3". Did not have any problems at all.

I do though, especially, for large areas thin down 25 to 30 %. Don't measure just roughly do it in the cup. I use a .4needle/nozzle. Found that I had problems galore with a .2set.

But as said before Vallejo have a very good help section & normally reply within a couple of hours. Give them all particulars though. Needle size any thinning did you thin with Vallejo thinner (not water) temperature etc.

On the water thing best to use Vallejo thinners as it has the same ingredients as the paint itself and which is especially developed for air brushing

Laurie

B

Buttonman

Thanks guys have been trying to fit my original CR needlr nozzle but as i've used the .3 kit i cant get the .5 needle back in.

Will try the halfords primer as i use the grey primer and very happy with results, I might even break out the old Badger 200 had it so long forgot what size needle and nozzle it has.

need to rewire my little vibrating paint mixer that i made years ago.

Cheers

Martin

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Badger 200 is a 0.5mm needle isn't it?

B

Buttonman

Think thats right Allyne, If you wrong I'll send a really strong letter to my mp

Martin P