Tools of the Trade

B

Bluewavestudios

Thought this would be a good post to put on here,

Everyone has their favourite tools for Model Making.....what are yours and why...???

My Pic shows my 2 Mini Drills, I would be lost without these now as they have proved invaluable over the years and cater for just about any job I need to do and with excellent results too.

The top one is B&Q's answer to the Dremel but at a third of the cost and plenty of power and variable speeds too.

The lower one is the original Como Mini-Drill as distributed by MFA (Model Flight Accessories) Not as powerful as the above drill but better for fine precision work and variable speed too, as you can see on the transformer..this one is over 20 years old now and has never let me down yet.

It does accept Dremel bits too, (That is a Dremel sanding disc attachment fitted in the Pic)

Regards.....Mark

View attachment 13561

Tools.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

I can vouch for the top item as I have exactly the same unit.

As you say the same as a Dremel but a fraction of the cost and for me it's ability to get into spaces that other power tools can't make it an invaluable addition to any modellers toolbox.

Makes you wonder how Dremel get away with thier prices.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Keep an eye open on market stalls,they sell redundant surplus dental tools that fit both the Dremel,and these other excellent look-a-likes.

They usually come in packs and are much cheaper than anything you will buy in model shops.

N

new to trains

i have a r dremel pro version, ultimately reliable made originally by bosch under the dremel name... its good but pricey.....the other tool i would not be without is my proxxon circular saw, a table top version, 240v awesome bit of kit for about £75....

S

squiffythewombat

i have the 7.99 wickes version.....you pay for what you get but 2 years down the line its still going strong!

Also electric belt sanders are overlooked inmo.

B

Bunkerbarge

I don't actually use many power tools for plastic modelling apart from the drill I mentioned above but I have had a big suprise recently with a new pair of tweezers.

They are actually for electronics work and so are obtainable from the big electronics suppliers such as Maplins and RS Components but not only are they beautifully long and slim but the ends are angled. When I got them I thought hey were a bit gimicky but I was prepared to give them a go and they are a revelation. I never realised just how usefull the angled end would be but they get into absolutely everything. I have been using them extensively on the plastic U-Boat I am putting together and they are so much more effective than my old straight ones.

I can remove the entire electronics package from the model, including motors and battery in a couple of minutes and put it all back in again in not much longer. Mind you I've had a lot of practise over the last few days!

A

ajg141

Have to say that I swear by my Dremel - its become almost an extension of my arm! I also find the belt sander very useful and my proxxon pencil sander is useful too.

Andrew

U

Uncivil Serpent

Dremel and like ajg Proxxon pencil sander, excellent bit of kit for sanding in very tight spaces.

Put simply, its a bit like an orbital sander, but the head is much smaller and can accommodate different shapes. As i said, brilliant for small spaces.

Also like to Proxxon table saw, but this one a little more expensive. All singing, dancing including rise and tilt. You don't know how valuable it is till you try making gratings for ships without it.

Best regards

Chris

B

Bunkerbarge

Squiffy,

A number of model shops now stock Proxxon gear. It seems to be reasonably priced and covers quite a range of powered modelling tools. I had a look at a lot of it on thier own stand at Harrogate Model Engineering Exhibition last year and it was impressive stuff.

It may be worth looking into when you get yourself established.

B

BigJBB

Quality tools

Hello all, as some of you may know I sell BIG machinery and industrial power tools. As yet I cannot get a direct account with the importers of Proxxon as they already have an outlet where I am within 1/2 mile.

The Proxxon products are very well engineered and good value for money. The link to the main British source is as follows http://www.brimarc.com/home.php3?page=products&pc=C_105 they do deal direct with end users (another reason I'm not pushing too hard to deal with them) and do a very effective list of their distributors by county.

As an aside if any of you are into Discovery Home & Leisure TV Series "New Yankee Workshop" hosted by Norm Abram, they also distribute the books, plans and Dvds etc from these shows.

Hope this helps

cheers

Jim

N

noobee captain

Tweezers

I don't actually use many power tools for plastic modelling apart from the drill I mentioned above but I have had a big suprise recently with a new pair of tweezers.They are actually for electronics work and so are obtainable from the big electronics suppliers such as Maplins and RS Components but not only are they beautifully long and slim but the ends are angled. When I got them I thought hey were a bit gimicky but I was prepared to give them a go and they are a revelation. I never realised just how usefull the angled end would be but they get into absolutely everything. I have been using them extensively on the plastic U-Boat I am putting together and they are so much more effective than my old straight ones.

I can remove the entire electronics package from the model, including motors and battery in a couple of minutes and put it all back in again in not much longer. Mind you I've had a lot of practise over the last few days!
My wife bought the same tweezers from BOOTS, don't think she has noticed that they have small dabs of paint and glue on them !!!