Top Fuel Dragster, Revell 1/25 scale

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
been wanting to do a top fuel dragster for a long time, ever since i did a funny car type a few years ago, but it was only recently i picked one up at a sensible price

im building this for a GB somewhere else, every year they have a fun GB in the summer.......last year it was any thing you want but it had to be red, white and blue..........this year its any thing you want but one of the dimensions has to be more than 12 inches.......and this is 15 inches long!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I like it too. I watched some drag racing last night, these things fly. I saw 514km/h achieved, incredible over a 4.8 second run. I worked with a woman whose husband raced these, he was constantly undergoing physiotherapy for his back and neck. The forces would be incredible.

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
I like it too. I watched some drag racing last night, these things fly. I saw 514km/h achieved, incredible over a 4.8 second run. I worked with a woman whose husband raced these, he was constantly undergoing physiotherapy for his back and neck. The forces would be incredible.
The buzz is amazing though!

My speeds/times were no where near this, but the feeling is the same.

True about the stress on the back though, as I ended up having a spinal fusion myself after 25 yrs of racing.

Gave up the drag racing at 48, but raced karts for 15 years after that, as I still needed that adrenalin rush.

Gregg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
not got much done today....been too hot and had other things to do

did a bit of sorting out of the bits so i can start painting

been doing some research as theres some confusion with the paint call out

instructions say paint the rear spoiler black.........but the box art shows it in castrol green!..........and when ive looked at other peoples builds of this kit its always in green too

so ive been googling........theres very few pictures of this machine out there it seems.......but it looks black to me!

First Name
barry
Hi Paul

all the books i have show it green, i have built a few of these dragsters and it builds into a nice model are you going to detail the engine as this makes it stand out .

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Hi Paulall the books i have show it green, i have built a few of these dragsters and it builds into a nice model are you going to detail the engine as this makes it stand out .
could you scan and up a few pics please?

not sure yet, need to see whats involved as i dont have any detailed pics of the engine, might just get wired up and thats all

First Name
Gregg
Definitely Castrol Green from videos I have seen!

Gregg

First Name
barry
Hi Paul

sorry scanner on the blink but gregg above has confirmed it

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well, i sort have it confirmed by someone who was there back in the day.............the spoiler came in green, black and white!......it all depended on track conditions, etc which one they used....they were even interchangable between this car and another different class dragster that Ormsby used to race

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
spent the last few days doing painting, now i can start with assembly

im impressed with how Revell did the moulding on this. the frame is almost a single part and is very cleanly moulded. i work with plastic injection so i know a bit of the processes involved. this must have been quite a tricky tool to make, especially as its working with styrene rather than abs or pvc which is far less rigid

this is the state of the engine, need to pick up a few things from HobbyCraft tomorrow so i can wire it up. its a twin magneto, twin spark plug per cylinder affair, so since its a V8 thats 16 wires ive got to install :eek::eek:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so all i got done today is the motor. used 0.3mm jewellery wire in red and black for the plug wires

i know the maggys are not strictly correct but its good enough for me at the moment

just need to touch up the red in a couple of places

First Name
Jason
Nice job on the engine Paul. Especially the wiring, must've taken a good while!

Jason

G

Graham D

Loverly engine. I like the wiring it adds nicely to the engine

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
. Especially the wiring, must've taken a good while!
about an hour and a half over two stints, i actually found it quite enjoyable to do. one of those jobs where the time flew by and was really satisfying to see the results as it progressed..........i used some jewelery/beading wire from HobbyCraft cos it comes in all sorts of colours and is dead cheap. drilled out the plug holes with a 0.4mm drill in a pinvice. hard bit was routing it all so it looked at least a bit tidy then trying to hold each one in place til the ca went off

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
quick update

motor is in the frame

cant do much more building wise as i have made a start on the decal job.....not proving to be easy as the decals seem to be quite old, the carrier is cloudy, dosnt show up on the white body shell but dosnt look too good on coloured parts. the long ones going on the shell are requiring loads of microsol to get the to lay flat

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great subject, I've never seen on of these built.

\ said:
It is said, if you see the green light, you've lost.