Top kit makers

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Does anyone else think the big model companies are leaving out a huge group of modellers by not going into the Sci Fi market ?

Sure you can get some things like the enterprise kits and revell do the starwas kits but their pre painted snap kits

I would love to build an imperial star destroyer by tamiya

I can't be the only one who feels like they've missed a trick

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It's all about moving units. Would enough people buy the kits to make a profit for them? Also the manufacturers have to deal with copyright issues regarding the likes of Starwars etc

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
You be surprised Al just how many would by them , I have mates who are Sci Fi fans and when they have around to mine and seen my star ships they've said they might get one and do it , their not modellers but would have ago at something like that

I'm a big sci fi fan and I would love to build a Prometheus from SG1 , I know you can get resin kits but the price and low level of skill needed to build one is not worth the price.

I do agree about copyright though but I think the customer base is out there

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You have to remember the 'customer base' is a worldwide thing. Whilst Sci-Fi is popular, 'normal' subjects will always out sell them.

I can think of two kits that if a manufacturer produced them with modern techniques would sell massively. And they aren't sci-fi.I'd love to be able to build more modern kits of the AT-AT and AT-ST. But sadly there aren't any

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
You have to remember the 'customer base' is a worldwide thing. Whilst Sci-Fi is popular, 'normal' subjects will always out sell them.I can think of two kits that if a manufacturer produced them with modern techniques would sell massively. And they aren't sci-fi.I'd love to be able to build more modern kits of the AT-AT and AT-ST. But sadly there aren't any
Oh yeah I agree , I wonder what the customer base for resin sci fi is , it must be viable seeing the price and how many online stores there are.

Maybe it's not only copyright but companies actually buying the rights to franchises that put the major kit makers off and probably why those resin kits are so expensive

P

Polux

I understand your feeling.... :sad:

I'm a Sci-Fi fan too, and I wish to see more models on market....

The best option is the japanese ones, they have a full of items, with interesting options :rolleyes: maybe the problem is the price O_o

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The thing to remember is that most of the resin jobs are taken from a master that has been scratch built by a model maker and the moulds taken off that. The moulds in them selves have a limited life, then its binned. The model maker spends often hundreds of hours building a master and wants money for it. Even at a £3 per hour rate a hundred hours soon add up.

The mould makers want their cut of the pie...... And despite what we all think there is a reason they are niche markets.

I can not see that the most prolific manufactures of injection moulded kits would go into Sci Fi purely due to the out lay v return.

Even in the injection kits makers produce for the home market. Even Tamiya. If they dont think it will sell in Japan, they buy in. Euro makes do the same, re-box Jap kits that they cant justify producing themselves.

There are plastic Sci-fi kits out there it just finding them.

Ian M

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Niche market really, despite the fans. Like you said loads of Star wars, Star Trek but only by a select few. That is why older Japanese models can be good as they never used to be bothered about copyright so certain figures, ships etc can be had, although saying that, they now are commanding higher prices due to demand. I agree that other kit makers don't seem bothered-probably costings in moulds, licences etc...a big gamble that cannot justify the outlay, I mean, how long has taken Airfix to re-tool some of their kits...it ain't cheap.

It is a shame as the costings of resin models is high and IMO not always the best as there can be a lot of faffing, sanding, filler etc, coupled with weight can mean a hefty lump that has cost a fortune.

Take me for instance: I love Space 1999, Aliens, Star Trek, Star Wars, UFO, Thunderbirds etc. Do I have the models? No, why: Well, first off there is not a lot, coupled with costing in sourcing good models and second, I love em...but not enough to plaster them all over the bookshelves. So, is there a market, yes. Is there a market for other makers? No.

And has been said: More folk are interested in boats, planes and automobiles than fantasy.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I understand your feeling.... :sad: I'm a Sci-Fi fan too, and I wish to see more models on market....

The best option is the japanese ones, they have a full of items, with interesting options :rolleyes: maybe the problem is the price o_O
I agree polux the price is a problem , thing is when I was about 10 there was quite a few sci fi kits available , I might be wrong about the maker but I'm sure I saw an alien kit by airfix when the alien film was released , you could get battlestar galactica kits , Star Wars kits , and loads of other kits from sci fi shows and films , it's a shame it's all but gone now from the modellers scene

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Problem is Alan, is that in the 70's and early 80's sci-fi was big and new and so the likes of Airfix, Monogram, Moebius, Arora etc made these kits, but they still did't sell in the numbers like standard kits. Now with a resurgence of 'new' redone series etc we have a new wave of kits, some are okay, but I have no interest in them. Many of us in the 70's and 80's were fairly young so could not afford the kits or may have got one for Christmas etc and then buggered it up. With age comes maturity (to some :D ) and more skill to want to tackle these great kits, but as mentioned they are now commanding higher prices due to the scarcity. And as you mentioned, there is no profit in resurrecting a 40 year old kit, even some 10 year Sci-Fi kits only had a short run and were destined for a run limit of 1000 sets.

P

Polux

The only Sci-Fi kits I found are always in some comics shops...

But have luck the past year and found a shop (spain) where can buy very interesting kits. It's true are expensive, but I must admit, I don't understand when I hear you all: I found this for one pound or 50 c. :confused:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I don't understand when I hear you all: I found this for one pound or 50 c. :confused:
Tell me about it...I always seem to miss the cheapo goodies. I was once in a charity shop and there was a great big box, stuffed with models...as I made my way over to them a guy picked up the box and bought the lots for a £5. There were some rare beasties and he must have had around £100 in models! I, like you Polux...always seem to miss out :sad:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Problem is Alan, is that in the 70's and early 80's sci-fi was big and new and so the likes of Airfix, Monogram, Moebius, Arora etc made these kits, but they still did't sell in the numbers like standard kits. Now with a resurgence of 'new' redone series etc we have a new wave of kits, some are okay, but I have no interest in them. Many of us in the 70's and 80's were fairly young so could not afford the kits or may have got one for Christmas etc and then buggered it up. With age comes maturity (to some :D ) and more skill to want to tackle these great kits, but as mentioned they are now commanding higher prices due to the scarcity. And as you mentioned, there is no profit in resurrecting a 40 year old kit, even some 10 year Sci-Fi kits only had a short run and were destined for a run limit of 1000 sets.Si:smiling3:
I agree Si , still I must admit that when a new enterprise kit or Star Wars kit comes into my local hobby shop next time I go in it's been sold so there must be a market I meen I'm in there every week , I guess I'll have to ask the owner and see how many he sells , I do know he does more in trains than kits he's told me that's where his main business is

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I agree Si , still I must admit that when a new enterprise kit or Star Wars kit comes into my local hobby shop next time I go in it's been sold so there must be a market I meen I'm in there every week , I guess I'll have to ask the owner and see how many he sells , I do know he does more in trains than kits he's told me that's where his main business is
I think in some ways you have answered your own question:

I do know he does more in trains than kits he's told me that's where his main business is
that is probably true from most shops and even online shops, with the exception of standard kits, most will be trains, dolls house etc rather than niche market products, despite him selling them-one or two seem to go, but to make it profitable for the makers they would need him to have maybe 30, he may only shift 5 or so and then be pestered to get more. This going on in many shops and for online shops to buy enough stock to drive prices down and demand up is just not on the cards. I am with you though mate, it is a shame that some of the early models-I wanted to do Huey and Dewey from Silent Running but they are like hen's teeth, and if you can find them they are very expensive, are no longer made :sad: Si:smiling3:

P

Polux

There is another problem...

On some japanese kits I built, you can read on the instructions... "for sale in japan only" :confused:

Many of them doesn't arrive to europe :sad:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
There is another problem...On some japanese kits I built, you can read on the instructions... "for sale in japan only" :confused:

That's what my too Japanese Blue Submarine Number 6 are, all in Japanese and for home use only. Tis a real shame really.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
There is another problem...On some japanese kits I built, you can read on the instructions... "for sale in japan only" :confused:

That is probably a licencing issue. They are only given licence to do them if they only market them in Japan. or they could only afford the licence for Japan.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Here are a few links that you might find useful. There are LOADS of kits, but not all of them are cheap.

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=271_274

http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/plastic-model-kits-space-scifi-film-kits-c-27_38.html?page=1

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Here are a few links that you might find useful. There are LOADS of kits, but not all of them are cheap.http://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=271_274

http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/plastic-model-kits-space-scifi-film-kits-c-27_38.html?page=1

Ian M
Thanks for that Ian there are lots I want on those two sites but only a few I can afford but we can't have everything we want

Thanks again :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Problem is when ordering from America is that we are subject to customs charges, so a few models could end up costing a lot more in the end.