Top kit makers

First Name
Mike
Fine Molds produce a range of Star Wars kits in 1/72 and 1/144 that are superb, Hasegawa quality if not better. Their 1/72 Millennium Falcon is a bit hard to find and quite expensive but most of the other kits are still readily available.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Problem is when ordering from America is that we are subject to customs charges, so a few models could end up costing a lot more in the end.Si:smiling3:
There is one kit on there I really want and if it costs me an extra £10/20 then it will be worth it :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
There is one kit on there I really want and if it costs me an extra £10/20 then it will be worth it :smiling3:
Which one...so I can buy it first...kidding!

Si:smiling3:

First Name
rob
this is how i justified buying recast rip off figures from thailand. i want to buy them and there not in mainstream production and if you can find them, thyere too expensive. i really have no interest in the politics of these model companies and their mould issues, im just the customer. i know what i like and if you cant make it for me, somebody else will.

N

noble

When revell and mobius re issued the battlestar galactica kits personally i think that if you have seen the episodes even non scifi fans were buying the kits simply because it was new and different i kinda agree with alan that if they did this with other kits e.g re intoduce say a 1/32 starfury and thunder bolt kit from babylon 5 they might take off (pardon the pun)just because it is different they would probably find that people are buying out of their norm, i don't know how others choose kits but i like to choose somthing that is interesting and different from time to time.

scott

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
When revell and mobius re issued the battlestar galactica kits personally i think that if you have seen the episodes even non scifi fans were buying the kits simply because it was new and different i kinda agree with alan that if they did this with other kits e.g re intoduce say a 1/32 starfury and thunder bolt kit from babylon 5 they might take off (pardon the pun)just because it is different they would probably find that people are buying out of their norm, i don't know how others choose kits but i like to choose somthing that is interesting and different from time to time.scott
That's a good point Scott, the way it seems to me is the debate against them doing it is that it's a small market and most modellers go for military kits and if you look at the figures and say that look how many people build military then there is no real demand but I have noticed that a lot of builders stick to a certain type like aircraft armour ect now if you apply that to the figures then there is definitely a market for science fiction

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
One possible reason for the shortage of buyers is the cost. Some of these kits cost an absolute fortune when compared to similar size/quality kits of mainstream stuff. Is this because they're rare due to limited production runs?

Gern

N

noble

It may well be a smaller market but as i have mentioned the tv gurus have been remaking old films and programs and wether or not there is a market people will actually go out and buy the kits due to loving the originals and having good child hood memories, it could even be that it looks cool and is very different from armour etc. I would describe myself as an armour builder but i have bought the battlestar kits because the films were good and the kits are cool, the same with B5. As for the pricing the revell viper kits are only £20.00 they are of good size and detail for the price now if you look at mobius they sell the same kits for £40.00 i think so surley if you wanted the kit you have the choice, but if you don't have the choice and still wanted the kit would you not make that sacrifice? Hells bells i paid £500.00 for my 1/35 dora and even though it has not been built yet it is worth evry penny.

scott