Towers Garden

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Spent most of this fine dry weather outside , first job was removing all the bulbs from the tubs. These are now drying ready to be top and tailed of foliage and loose roots. Then in to paper bags marked up for replanting in the autumn.
Having reclaimed the compost , I added dried blood and bone meal to beef it up. Then planted the summer flowers.
2022_15.jpg2022_14.jpg2022_12.jpg2022_13.jpg
My friend Mr Black bird. Now comes into the entrance of the cave and has his own food bowl.2022_16.jpg
Beautiful Iris flower , this year has been the first time they have really flowered since they were planted 2 years ago.
JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Beautiful John. Your hard work clearly shows in that wonderful space.
Thanks Jim, I was so tired that for 3 night running I've gone straight to sleep instead of here and U tube.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very beautiful John glad you got some dry time ground here is still holding water in spots no garden yet.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very beautiful John glad you got some dry time ground here is still holding water in spots no garden yet.
Thanks Lee, that's a blow for you with the damp, hows the stock holding out ?
We've rain forecast next week so back to normal I think :confused:

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
hows the stock holding out ?
There doing great I’ll post a update on my thread later. Yes going be a late garden for me this year. If I didn’t do all that hard work early spring getting it ready I probably would just forget this year.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John mowed the grass finally and looking at the garden afterwards I think I’m going to try to plant tomorrow

Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dried blood and bone dont hear that used much these days.
Good job on taking the bulbs up. We leave our in all year round. There are far to many to take up each year.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko

I always understood that to be more for veg growers with the need for fertilizers high in nitrogen, it's still available from companies like Westlands.

Although synthetic nitrogen supplements are more popular because of the name I suppose

Good job on taking the bulbs up. We leave our in all year round. There are far to many to take up each year.

I'll lift my bulbs in summer when Mother Nature does, although I do understand the need to when seasonal planting requires

Miko (horticulturally inclined)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Reminds me of la can-can dans 'La Folies Bergère'!

Miko (Vive la entente cordiale)
It's very unlike me Miko I can't remember what its called, I would have remembered if it had a name like that
There doing great I’ll post a update on my thread later. Yes going be a late garden for me this year. If I didn’t do all that hard work early spring getting it ready I probably would just forget this year.
Will look fwd to seeing Lee.
No , think the name puts most people off .Just use it to give the compost a revival.
We leave some in, but the majority of the daffs are in tubs anyway. The hyacinth are originally from a friend who gives a bowl full to Christine as she puts his bin away once emptied so he can reverse his van in when he comes home . Every year these are mounting up , nice to grown them again .
I always understood that to be more for veg growers with the need for fertilizers high in nitrogen, it's still available from companies like Westlands.

Although synthetic nitrogen supplements are more popular because of the name I suppose

I'll lift my bulbs in summer when Mother Nature does, although I do understand the need to when seasonal planting requires

Miko (horticulturally inclined)
Just use it as I mentioned to Ian Miko, seems to work as the plants appear to like it . Also once those young pants have established them selves a balanced feed is given .
Containers needed so the bulbs in them have to exit, been doing this now for years . Find that in drying you don't loose as many due to rot . The final storage is important , stacked up in trays in paper bags .

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
We have about 5000 bulbs in total in the garden. If I suggested to Carina, that they should be taken up for the winter... been nice knowing you... lol.
Blood, hoof and horn, bone meal. Its all good. And good compost.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Oh boy have I made a mistake. I showed SWMBO your garden. All I have had since is, 'why can't you be good at gardening'. So today as a special treat and to show her I can do gardening. I mowed the lawn.
But even I have to admit, you do a nice garden John. :thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh boy have I made a mistake. I showed SWMBO your garden. All I have had since is, 'why can't you be good at gardening'. So today as a special treat and to show her I can do gardening. I mowed the lawn.
But even I have to admit, you do a nice garden John. :thumb2:
Thanks Doug.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
John your garden is looking really fantastic, I wouldn't even dare to visit your garden for fear of your lovely plants dying one by one as I walk past.
My skills on the gardening front are about zilch, even having tried for many years, I have had to admit my shortcomings.