Toyota Corolla WRC, Revell 1/24

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
my next build is for a 'RACE' GB somewhere else

Revells Toyota Corolla WRC as driven by Carlos Sainz when he won the Monte Carlo Rally in 1998, he came second in the championship that year

sprue shots

will be interesting as the decal sheet has a lttle bit of damp damage....we shall see

i might just weather this up with a mud wash at the end, just for the fun of it

P

Polux

Wow!!! Very interesting and nice choice!!!

I still remember...." Carlos....reduce..."

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks a great kit Paul, and the Castrol scheme always looked really cool , whichever car it was on! I reckon you should be ok with the decals , they dont look damaged ,just a little watermarked on the backing sheet ,they should perform as normal. cheers tony

C

CDW

1998 was one of the best calenders for wrc in my opinion. Toyota should have gained better time but a few little slip ups and some major spawn from tommi m gave us the end result, bit of a bummer cos I was quite the toyota fan back then, and was quite exited that they were planning entry into F1 in the early 2000's.

Anyway looks like a nice kit, and I'm sure you'll do a great job as usual, I wouldn't like to attempt those decals though, I'd probably mess up big time :smiling3:

Being even more geeky ... I think the bottom two piccies are from the catalunya stage when castrol pumped a load more money in ... the extra logos are either side of the front grill.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
the Castrol scheme always looked really cool , whichever car it was on!
i agree,.....ive already done the Celica rally car and got the Tom Celica Supra to do......three Castrol liveried cars together is the plan

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
. I think the bottom two piccies are from the catalunya stage when castrol pumped a load more money in ... the extra logos are either side of the front grill.
more than likely,.....the white squares for the door numbers are different too. the rules of the GB that this is for state that a pic or two of the real car need to be included to prove that it did exist, they are all Sainz in #5 tho :smiling3:

C

CDW

And he was one hell of a driver eh :smiling3:

Anyway let me stop interrupting you and let you get on, looking forward to seeing this come together.

Will we be seeing a Tom's supra in the future?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
i agree,.....ive already done the Celica rally car and got the Uncle Tom Celica to do......three Castrol liveried cars together is the plan
Dont forget my fave , the Castrol Tom's Supra , thats four then ! LOL cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Colin, great minds think alike and all that!

First Name
Andy
\ said:
1998 was one of the best calenders for wrc in my opinion.
Sorry Sir, I would have to disagree with you on this, for me, it would have to be 1981 with the introduction of the Audi Quattro...:cool:

Hi Tony,

Looking forward to watching this... ;)

Andy...

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Sorry Sir, I would have to disagree with you on this, for me, it would have to be 1981 with the introduction of the Audi Quattro...:cool:
id agree there,.....Quattro and Stratos......glorious noise!

and i nearly did an Alitalia Stratos for this GB instead of the Corolla

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so why produce a really nicely moulded kit (ive actually struggled to find parting lines on the body shell) then do something stupid like this........

for the grilles for the rad and bonnet you are supposed to take the relevant bit from the decal sheet and just glue it in!!..............i think i can do better than that

ive had some stainless steel woven mesh for ages............found in one of those PoundLand shops........was supposed to be a 'saucepan splashguard'.....basically a bit of mesh with a handle! lol a quid got enough to last for years

was tricky cutting it out to the right shape and when the ca is dry i want to give it a coat of primer, then i will know if it looks ok or not. it not i have some nylon mesh left over from a bike kit to try

also got the roll cage put together, just needs a few joints tidying up

C

CDW

Good recovery on what is a bloody stupid idea

That roll cage looks good..

And yes there were some decent rallies with the introduction of the older cars ... I was meaning the actual competitiveness of the 98 was intense compared to most other years.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
im afraid this has come to a grinding halt!

ive not been doing updates since all ive been doing is painting little bits,......came to add some seat belt decals to the seats and its quite obvious that the decals are in a bad way. could see the decal sheet had a little bit of damp damage but i thought id get away with it. after 10 minutes in hot water the decals still didnt want to come away from the backing paper!.....so there would be no chance with the large decals that go down the side

so this has gone back in the box and i shall find some aftermarket decals at some point, its a nice kit so deserves finishing. Studio27 do a nice set of 2003 Rally di Monza Valentino Rossi decals so shall look out for some of them

First Name
Jason
I like this livery a lot. Grand Prix Models sell them. I've ordered a lot from them and if they dont have ot in stock it can take 6-8 weeks sometimes but I've always got my order in the end.

http://www.grandprixmodels.com/searchdetail.php?ref=STUDC731&/Studio-27-1:24-Toyota-Corolla-WRC-model

Jason