Trumpeter 1.32 F6F-5N Hellcat night fighter

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All, it's been a while since I last built a model in fact the last one was the Me262 which I completed last August. There are no excuses this time as I'm confined to barracks for the next 12 weeks even Gill is not allowed out otherwise it will compromise me. I'm on immunosuppressant therapy for a back condition so I come under the umbrella of shielding. Any signs or symptoms and I have to go straight to hospital which isn't a good prospect. So no stepping out the front door, food is being delivered. I can't have any contact with family members so the only way I can see them is via WhatsApp :sad: Anyway on with the build this looks to be a good build. Trumpeter have predictably provided a clear engine cowling so will have to be sprayed inside and out with primmer. I've started on the engine which is a model in its self. Shame that it's buried deep in the cowling little will be seen.

IMG_20200402_103857.jpg
IMG_20200402_103610.jpg
IMG_20200402_115002.jpg

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice project Vaughan,
I'll be following your build. These are weird times indeed, keep it safe :thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great choice Vaughan , and a bargain too! I’ve never really got the clear cowling / fuselage thing , they aren’t really that clear and can look very odd . If a maker is keen to show the inner detail they’ve provided wouldn’t it be better to have optional open access panels ?They could provide two cowlings , one with open panels and one fully closed. I wonder how many people actually use the clear bits unpainted ? Anyway looking forward to the build , stay safe mate , in the shed ( with the flammable , irritant , chemical laden modelling products !:smiling5::smiling5:). Cheers tony

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I’ll be watching this one too.

I have no doubt this will keep you entertained for the foreseeable future, particularly if you spend time making and painting all the hidden bits!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Totally agree Tony, yes and it was a bargain considering it's my local Toymaster in Norwich. Still plodding on with the engine there's a lot of parts, shame it won't be seen.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Wow that’s a fancy looking brush cleaning jar Vaughan ;);)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Many modellers are now being justified in acquiring kit stashes. None of us will be bored during our lock downs :smiling3: Looks to be a nice kit Vaughan.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Wow that’s a fancy looking brush cleaning jar Vaughan ;);)
I can tell you it was needed
Many modellers are now being justified in acquiring kit stashes. None of us will be bored during our lock downs :smiling3: Looks to be a nice kit Vaughan.
Joe you look suitably dressed, I might need to borrow in the near future when I'm released

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I just found this thread, most fortuitously, as the 'American' project I had in mind as a near future build is the 'standard' version of this very aircraft from this very kit!

I'll definitely be watching and cheering you on from the side lines, as you going first will definitely high light any potential pit falls or bear traps for me.

Looks very nice so far.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A nice well used pit there Vaughan. Looks good.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Cockpit is complete kit p.e belts added. A dry fit in the fuselage has presented a few problems firstly the bulkheads around the cockpit area appear to be too wide and will need to be filed so the fuselage will close fully in front of the canopy. Secondly the fuselage doesn't line up behind the pilots bulkhead, it looks like there's an area that hasn't been moulded properly. Steve I hope you don't have the same issues.

P4262673.JPG
P4262675.JPG

P4232670.JPG

P4232671.JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm glad that you are ahead of me!

I've just put together the first bit of the cockpit assembly, the instrument panel bulkhead, rear cockpit bulkhead and side consoles. I've fitted it into one half of the fuselage, to make sure everything lines up, and that seems okay. I suppose I will only find out when I try to marry up the two halves!

I did find that the side consoles wanted to lift the IP bulkhead from the cockpit floor, I made some adjustments to make sure that everything sat flush as it should.

I will attempt a photo and stick it in my thread.

Good luck with the files!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Interesting Steve I fitted the instrument panel first and then fitted the side consoles afterwards so no issues there. It fits fine in each fuselage halves perfectly, it's when you join the two together the problem presents. So hence maybe the bulkheads need some attention? Good luck with yours.

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thats a really nice pit Vaughan. clearly the Trumpy B team’s engineering though with that gap.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Vaughan, I've been playing around with the exhausts and engine placement. It's an inexact science! I don't know if you've got your engine in yet, but I think a better guide might be the position of the front of the engine (and hence the propeller) relative to the cowling.
I'm off to scan t'internet for some good photos showing the relationship between the two!

Edit:
The engine needs to come as far forward as it can. When you do it, it's obvious! I'll update my thread.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited: