Trumpeter 1/32 Grumman Wildcat early version

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

Well I couldn't keep away so here's my next build. As this is an early version it has a very loud paint scheme which involves a N.M.F on the underwing and the fuselage. I've not attempted a N.M.F before so this should be interesting.

The Kit is a 2003 tooling but all looks good as per usual Trumpeter have provided a well detailed radial engine and of course the clear plastic engine cowling(which I will paint). The kit also includes PE hinges for the control surfaces and a set of vinyl tyres which are thankfully minus the horrible seams.

I've started with the engine which is now complete and weathered, next step will be the office.

Vaughan

View attachment 52447

View attachment 52448

View attachment 52449

View attachment 52450

View attachment 52451

View attachment 52452

View attachment 52453

View attachment 52454

View attachment 52455

View attachment 52456

View attachment 52457

IMG_1753down.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mobear

looking mighty fine that engine,not sure about the colours of this plane though lol

mobear

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks Guys

Here's my progress over last four days. Trumpeter have provided a well detailed office the only thing missing were the harnesses which I have scratch built. It's a shame that literally none of this will be visible owing to the shape of the fuselage and narrow cockpit opening. The next step will to be to prepare the under carriage bay and spray the fuselage halves.

Vaughan

View attachment 52600

View attachment 52601

View attachment 52602

View attachment 52603

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Vaughan - its a nice kit but beware of two fit issues..

1/ Bulkheads to the fuselage, behind the seat in particular.

2/ The tyres are a bigger problem. The rubber tyres do not fit well between the hubs and this gave me a massive problem and, if I could, I would replace the kit parts with aftermarket but have not found any. As it is I am not happy with my sub-assembly at all and have even considered buying another kit just to have another go at the wheels/tyres. I found a way using superglue to hold one side of the tyre in place against one wheel hub then squirting a slow curing cement inside the hub while fixing the other hub to the tyre with superglue after which squeezing the two hubs together holding them in place until they dried. It did work, after a fashion, but the clamps used to hold the parts slipped without me noticing and they did not dry in the right position. Trying to prise the parts apart to refix them will wreck them, I have tried that but abandoned the attempt.

The version I am building as a Martlett is the later one but I would expect your kit to have the same problems.

I am using Ad-Astra custom masks this week to do the markings and hope to get some finished pics up in a couple of weeks. I have not fitted the undercarriage yet, so if anyone has any suggestions or ideas for a new sub-assembly I would be grateful and have time!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Barry

Thanks for the warning. I realised there were going to be issues when I tried a dry fit. This seems to be an issue with all the bulkheads right through to the landing gear bay. I did manage to sort out the one behind the seat but it's not going to be easy to close the fuselage and get everything in the right place but I will give it my best shot. I've not had a go with the wheels yet but they sound like they will be a sod to do I will hopefully cross that bridge when I come to it.

Vaughan

View attachment 52604

View attachment 52605

View attachment 52606

View attachment 52607

IMG_2232 copy.jpg

IMG_2234 copy.jpg

IMG_2235 copy.jpg

IMG_2236 copy copy.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Thats amazing Vaughan. A nice piece of work. Cant wait to see more.

Andy

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work on the engine and cockpit Vaughan.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
The wheel bay bulkhead and engine supports are finished. Now all that remains is the very tricky task of marrying office and wheel bay bulkheads into the fuselage halves. I'm not relishing this part.

Vaughan

View attachment 52639

View attachment 52640

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

V

Vajled

wow.. great model and you have done a great job my friend...

keep it up, following with interest

Roman

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi there vaughan ..... just excellant ... looking forward to the finished article ... rgds lindsey

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A very small update here. The undercarriage assembly is complete with a dry fit to the bulkhead. I'm still faffing about with the fuselage to get the alinement with the bulkheads before I finally commit and button it up. I've also finished the wheels and fitted the tyres I know Barry had some issues with these but mine went together without a hitch. The only thing I did differently from the instructions was to construct the hubs first and then pull the tyres over the hubs once they were dry. The tyres actually sit on the outside of the hub walls.

Vaughan

View attachment 52887

View attachment 52888

View attachment 52889

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
nice work vaughan , the engine looks great, cheers tony

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
A very small update here. The undercarriage assembly is complete with a dry fit to the bulkhead. I'm still faffing about with the fuselage to get the alinement with the bulkheads before I finally commit and button it up. I've also finished the wheels and fitted the tyres I know Barry had some issues with these but mine went together without a hitch. The only thing I did differently from the instructions was to construct the hubs first and then pull the tyres over the hubs once they were dry. The tyres actually sit on the outside of the hub walls.Vaughan
Glad to see these came together for you. I just could not get mine to fit at all, on the outside they slid down, not staying in place and I could not get them inside without playing around with superglue. Your u/c looks so much better than mine!!!

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Just caught up with this. Beautiful work Vaughan can't wait to see more.

Tony.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for that Barry.

The undercarriage was a real fiddle to put together but I think it's turned out ok. As for the tyres they were different to ones that Trumpeter normally provides quite thin and delicate.

The fuselage is now together a little work will be required on the seams, I'm not 100% happy with the fit of the wheel well bulkhead but it will have to do. Once the undercarriage is in situ and the wings are on it's not like it's going to be overly obvious. The tail wheel is well protected as I don't have a very good track record when it comes to breaking them.

Vaughan

View attachment 52993

View attachment 52994

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I smiled at your tail wheel comment. Trumpy do seem to make rather delicate tail wheels!!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Here's an update from over the last 4 days. I've made a start on the wings unfortunately the tabs are very short and barely fit into their corresponding slots so this will make it a little tricky when attaching them. Drop tanks are primed followed with a coat of Vallejo aluminium, Klear and then weathered. The engine cowling had a slight sink mark where the the top locating pin is, a small amount of filler was required followed with a coat of primmer. Also a dry fit with undercarriage engine and cowling all looking good. I might not get much done over the W/E as busy today and off to the Seething Air Show tomorrow which has a good line up The Two Mustangs 'Janie' , 'Maninell' and a PD-13D Stearman from the Hardwick Warbirds Collection. There's even a Fieseler Storch dropping in. Weather forecast is fine so should be a good day, will post some photos tomorrow time permitting.

Vaughan

View attachment 53246

View attachment 53247

View attachment 53248

View attachment 53249

View attachment 53250

View attachment 53251

View attachment 53252

View attachment 53253

View attachment 53254

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg