Trumpeter 1/32 Kittyhawk IIIA (P-40M).

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can’t comment on how accurate the kit is, but it went together very nicely. The only drama was self- inflicted by my decision to pose the model in flight, meaning with a retracted undercarriage.

Build is here: https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/trumpeter-1-32-p-40-m-war-hawk.41903/

There are some things to be aware of if you decide to build the Trumpeter kit. The instructions miss a couple of things (like the lights on the fin). The suggested schemes are iffy at best and in the case of my subject, just wrong. The decals reflect this. Apart from the name and cartoon of the bomb carrying stork I have sprayed all the markings.

I find the Kittyhawk/P-40 an impressive looking aeroplane. To some extent its competent looks bely its actual capabilities, but it certainly wasn’t a bad aircraft. We see it here as I imagine this aircraft, FR817, GL-O, of No.5 Squadron of the SAAF, looked when based in Italy during the autumn of 1943. I did agonise over yellow leading edges, but in the end decided against.

In a way it represents the Allied war effort. It’s an aircraft built in the US, paid for by the British and operated by South Africans. It’s flying in Italy and carrying a bomb made in Detroit or some other place where the Americans turned them out in their hundreds of thousands.

Here’s the finished model.

PFQ_BW.jpg

SFQ.jpg

STBD.JPG

SRQ.jpg

PRQ.jpg

P0RT.jpg

PFQ.jpg

I now have to get my skates on with the WWII Japanese aircraft GB, as work seems to be intruding on fun…again!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks mighty fine to me Steve. Dark Earth and Dark Green with a red spinner is one of the great paint schemes in my opinion……

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's turned out very well indeed Steve. We don't see that many 'in flight' models.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I had the same problems w/P-47 in 1/72 & P-51 in 1/87 as both were designed wheels down. Yours turned out way better.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Ding Dong indeed, a gorgeous finish, gotta love that cam pattern and red spinner,,