Trumpeter 1/35 Waffenträger 88mm PAK 43

F

Fenlander

Always use a gas torch for soldering. I find it easier than using a soldering iron as you don't have to physically touch the parts so no movement.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Always use a gas torch for soldering. I find it easier than using a soldering iron as you don't have to physically touch the parts so no movement.
If you don't mind; how do you actually get the solder on the brass and then apply the heat, without the solder going everywhere and not giving yourself 3rd degree burns at the same time.

F

Fenlander

\ said:
If you don't mind; how do you actually get the solder on the brass and then apply the heat, without the solder going everywhere and not giving yourself 3rd degree burns at the same time.
Sometimes you don't lol. No, seriously, it is easy if you have the right stuff. I am at work st the moment but when I get home I will do a demo to show you. It will be easier than trying to explain it in words.

F

Fenlander

Ok, I promised a little demo on using the gas torch/burner for soldering. This is now in the Tutorials/How To section.

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Right, after a couple of cups of tea and a bacon sandwich to wake me up, the Waffentrager is looking pretty cool in its black primer. Just clipped it all back together for the photos. Let this dry and then a bit of shading work before some colour finally goes on.

I have decided to stick roughly with the box art for the exterior but the interior, I am going to attempt a red primer look. If this ever made it out the factory, it wasn't in the streets of Berlin long before the Russians overran the City so not a lot of weathering but I will chip it up a bit and make it dusty. Certainly no mud and stuff.

Waffentrager-41.jpg

Waffentrager-42.jpg

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Looking good Graham.
And what primer did you use?
This is the Black Stynylrez by Badger that I believe John is going to stock. This has been well thinned using IPA and airbrushed on using the budget airbrush I got from John. I did say I was done with dedicated primers but when you get this stuff right, it is a beautiful finish and quite forgiving. I would agree with Badger though that it needs a .4mm needle if you want to spray neat or slightly thinned. I am using 60% thinners to 40% paint with a .2mm nozzle and only just getting away with it.

Covers photo etch and aluminium barrels as easily as it covers the plastic blending the different media together nicely without textural or colour change.

F

Fenlander

\ said:
That looks rather futuristic in black ;)
To say the chassis is right from the beginning of the war, I think it looks rather racy :rolleyes:

F

Fenlander

A bit of colour. It looks a bit patchy but that is how I want it, the filters etc will pull it together and avoid the solid slab of colour. Leaving the barrel black for a bit of contrast, this will tone down when filtered. The inner areas that are still black will be primer red. Again, just clipped together so things are not hanging straight, that gun may be aluminium but it really feels heavy on the kit.

image.jpe

image_1.jpe

image_2.jpe

Off out for Sunday dinner so no more progress this weekend.

D

dubster72

I think a patchy look is good Graham. It gives a sense of how such a surface would look from atmospheric exposure.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
I remember when your dog eat this original kit cause i remember i wanted to build it just cause of that big ass pe gun shield nice...

Like where your at with this build look forward to seeing more of this build

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Very nice, tidy build so far Graham. I know you did a great job soldering up the ammo box, but is the PE the only way to do this in the kit? I would have thought it would be easier to mould a plastic one and just use PE for the hinges etc if it's going to be closed. I've never seen the point of PE for closed boxes. It needs a fair degree of skill to bend and seal the edges of a PE box, much easier to just glue a plastic one on.

F

Fenlander

\ said:
I remember when your dog eat this original kit cause i remember i wanted to build it just cause of that big ass pe gun shield nice...
Like where your at with this build look forward to seeing more of this build
Cheers John, as I mentioned above, I now know this is a different kit, I have included the original box art above somewhere and it is a completely different vehicle. Not sure if the original one I had is still available but it would be interesting to get it as that vehicals, two of them actually, are documented as being in service. This one, I cannot find anything so may not have actually been built.

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Very nice, tidy build so far Graham. I know you did a great job soldering up the ammo box, but is the PE the only way to do this in the kit? I would have thought it would be easier to mould a plastic one and just use PE for the hinges etc if it's going to be closed. I've never seen the point of PE for closed boxes. It needs a fair degree of skill to bend and seal the edges of a PE box, much easier to just glue a plastic one on.
In this case I totally agree with you Dave but no, there is only the one external box and that is PE only but you could just leave it off, it isn't on the box art.

F

Fenlander

Got some masking tape slapped on and the inside of the fighting compartment and on the gun mount. tiny bit of overspray and a bit of paint pulled off a photo etch piece but apart from these very minor and easily corrected issues, I am very happy with the result. I did wrack my brains wondering where I could get some primer red from when I found a bottle of Panzer Aces Shadow Flesh that looked good enough to me.

Waffentrager-44.jpg

Waffentrager-45.jpg

Waffentrager-46.jpg

First Name
Robert
That Red primer looks straight out of the factory Graham ( nice dark shadows going on too )

Detail on the gun looks very impressive indeed

Regards

Robert

First Name
Stuart
\ said:
Got some masking tape slapped on and the inside of the fighting compartment and on the gun mount. tiny bit of overspray and a bit of paint pulled off a photo etch piece but apart from these very minor and easily corrected issues, I am very happy with the result. I did wrack my brains wondering where I could get some primer red from when I found a bottle of Panzer Aces Shadow Flesh that looked good enough to me.
View attachment 148437

View attachment 148438

View attachment 148439
Really like the look of this kit and can't wait to see the next stage of your build .

Brilliant work .

Regards Stu