Trumpeter 1/48 Su-11 Fishpot "Red 14" (The flying stovepipe)

First Name
Marius
So I'm finally done with my 1/48 Su-11 Fishpot from Trumpeter. The kit went together fairly well without any major problems. The only real issue was the poor fitment of the cockpit tub inside the fuselage. The tub seems a tad too wide, which in turn causes a gap between the two fuselage halves if left unattended.
I manged to lose the left nose gear leg (probably to the vacuum cleaner), so I had to cut one out from a piece of sprue. It turned out OK, but far from perfect.

I like the "less is more"-philosophy, and I try to aim towards the realistic instead of the artistic side of modelling. I used AK Xtreme Metal aluminium for the airframe, with various Tamiya acrylics for the cockpit, landing gear etc. A light coat of AK Neutral Grey enabel based wash was applied as weathering. All in all, I'm reasonably satisfied with the result. Enjoy :smiling3:

20170825_102323.jpg 20170825_102316.jpg 20170825_102340.jpg 20170825_102359.jpg 20170825_102415.jpg 20170824_220309.jpg 20170808_193532.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Simply superb Marius , this is right up my street! Soviet cold war stuff is my passion. Its one of my fave aircraft , its just so simple but powerful looking and typical of the soviets no nonsense approach to design. Its so good that a major manufacturer has done one at last and especially in 1/48. I hope to get one of these to go with my Yak 28p (that i still havent started yet!) Fantastic work with the natural metal finish and the weathering , cheers tony (BTW did I mention that I really like this!)

First Name
Marius
Simply superb Marius , this is right up my street! Soviet cold war stuff is my passion. Its one of my fave aircraft , its just so simple but powerful looking and typical of the soviets no nonsense approach to design. Its so good that a major manufacturer has done one at last and especially in 1/48. I hope to get one of these to go with my Yak 28p (that i still havent started yet!) Fantastic work with the natural metal finish and the weathering , cheers tony (BTW did I mention that I really like this!)
Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate it! I'm a bit of a cold war nut myself, and I am somewhat fascinated by most aircraft with a red star from that era. The Su-9/11 in particular, with its odd, "stovepipe-ish", strictly business appearance, and the fact that it was a purebred mach 2+ capable interceptor. Cheers!

Edit: and yak face, you better get that 28 P build going :D

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great looking build Marius. I also like the 'less is more' look, which you have achieved nicely.