Trumpeter Me-262 1/144

W

Willi262

My very first (maybe only) 144th scale aircraft.

I did it up as "white 3". I added the wiring and hoop aerial, as these were not standard with the kit. I learned a few lessons from the little guy, namely not to underestimate so tiny an opponent. I have found new levels of respect for any who would dare to drop into 144 scale. I doubt I would make a regular habit as it was very trying on my patience.

I omitted the bombs under the nose, not realizing I was removing ballast. I fixed that up later (with glue) but should have added a small weight just forward of the cockpit tub. The Kettenkraftrad helps somewhat.

View attachment 70481

View attachment 70482

View attachment 70483

View attachment 70484

View attachment 70485

View attachment 73211

trumpy4.JPG

trumpy5.JPG

trumpy7.JPG

trumpy10.JPG

trumpy11.JPG

262sizecomp1.JPG

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

The closest I ever got was the old Airfix airliners in 1/144, such as the Jumbo etc. you must have pretty good eyesight and loads of patient to take on this little gem!

Thanks for sharing though and reminding me that I need to stay away from models of this size!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wonderfully done Steve. The box is a bit disproportionate to the finished kit.

W

Willi262

Thanks for the kudos, gang!

I wasn't sure quite how it would turn out, but I will admit that I used the wrong 2 shades of green, and my first instinct was correct. The effect I wanted was that the color pattern would be a little more contrasted, had I gone with my original intent, oh well, live and learn.

I will also admit that it was "Yak face" who inspired me to try out a 144 scale aircraft.

I was strolling through the pictures gallery when I saw a 'tiger striped' helicopter. So I thought, 'ok, what have we here?', and i started clicking through the pictures. With the amount of detail and a paint job big enough to include exhaust scorching I thought "huh, probably a '48' or maybe even a '32' ", then I saw the picture with it in his hand and I'm like "WTF!!" "How big is that?", "what's 144 scale?" and finally "cooooooool". So I rushed (took the bus) to my hobby shop (drug dealer) and in addition to some paint, I found the only 144 scale Me-262 that they had. 10$.

I foolishly expected I would be done it in about 5 hours. I ended up spending 2 days putting on decals alone. I lost one of the work nr. on the tail but the number on the decal is not the one for the paint job i selected, so i'm not too busted up about it. But trumpeter is sensitive to the german anti-swastika laws, so much so that they split the decal in two, and made me reassemble it on the plane. That part was tiring.

Now that this one is behind me, i can focus on those ground crews, and soldiers. I did a tally the other day. Including the pilot and radar operator in the Ar-234 and the pilot of the airfix 109, when all is said and done, there will be about 36 troops, including lazing officers scattered around the table. They just keep multiplying...

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Top work Steve, I did a Heinkel HE 111 in 1/144 also a Zero and they are very fiddly in that scale. In fact I think they maybe the last I do in kit form as they are tiring to make, especially for old eyes and dodgy hands lol.

Si:smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well done Steve. I tend to operate at the other end of the scale size so you certainly have my respect for attempting this tiny scale, and making a good job of it. I know that Tony (Yak Face) likes to inflict these little aircraft on himself from time to time so you are not alone......entirely :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic job steve , it looks excellent with the Keten, Kettent, .. tractor! I'm very flattered that seeing my little chopper inspired you (!!?) I hope this isnt your last as youve clearly got the skill to do a brilliant job , and theres loads of great kits out there . I did the Eduard Me 262 in 1/144 and i forgot the nose weight too! I ended up drilling a hole in the underside of the nose and putting some lead shot in there then filling the hole , luckily I realised my error before the paint went on! Strangely enough the 262 was the most difficult of my little builds too, the mottle was a real test!! great build steve , looking forward to the next mini masterpiece! cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
1:44, well done to you. Not a scale I intend to venture into. Nice job on the model.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
what a little cracker superb job at such a small scale...

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Steve, being meaning to ask you, do you use a AB or is it all brush work?

W

Willi262

\ said:
Steve, being meaning to ask you, do you use a AB or is it all brush work?Si:smiling3:
All hand painted. Sometimes I can use a spray can, outside on the balcony, but it's not very practical, so hand painting it must be. I should probably mask off lines and whatnot to help keep them straighter but I usually just eyeball it. I did not mask the titanic, the tirpitz or any of the canopy lines on any of the aircraft. Although, I was never that advanced as a model builder, even when I first took up the hobby at about age, ...14 or so.

Last edited:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
All hand painted. Sometimes I can use a spray can, outside on the balcony, but it's not very practical, so hand painting it must be. I should probably mask off lines and whatnot to help keep them straighter but I usually just eyeball it. I did not mask the titanic, the tirpitz or any of the canopy lines on any of the aircraft. Although, I was never that advanced as a model builder, even when I first took up the hobby at about age, ...14 or so.
Outstanding Steve, I use a mixture of AB and brush work, my skills at AB are coming along, although I have yet to tackle a large item. I am fortunate that I can use rattle-cans outside for various tasks, this makes life easier in priming or spraying dio boards for my sea models. But like you I do like to use a brush, maybe it's a age thing.

W

Willi262

I was raised on brush painting I guess. I came from a navy family in a working poor part of town in Dartmouth NS. I was born in Halifax but by age 5 had moved across the harbour to the PMQs.

We didn't have space or money for an airbrush set, so I just got used to using a brush and thinner. But my hand was horribly shaky and I always used too much paint. I was an impatient modeller, a concept impossible, as we all know. I would barely wait for glue or paint to dry before picking up or attaching new parts, always in my haste to get on to the next project, thus ruining the whole thing. Now the reverse is true and it can take months or even years for me to finally finish "hammering in the last nail".