US Navy Swift Boat (PCF)...Building the base too!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice job so far Ron, your weathering expertise will bring this to life. Will you be posing it in a muddy delta?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Monica, I do prefer to break up the hard waterline colours when the boat is 'used'

Joe, thanks for your post. I don't know yet how I'll pose the boat..Coastal, muddy delta, narrow river or a canal - plenty of choice.

Here is a small update.

I've fitted and painted the windows. The windows and frame are moulded in one piece of clear plastic with a small rebate. The whole thing pushes against the window opening from the outside leaving a raised frame sitting proud of the superstructure. Very clever, but a sod to paint. I always paint aircraft canopies and frames freehand wthout masking - I don't mind 1, but this thing has 18 window frames to paint!

Here's a tip that might be of some use to anyone who doesn't already know. If, when painting with acrylics near clear plastic 'glass' and some paint does get on the glass, don't wipe it off. Let it dry completely and then gently remove it with a sharpened cocktail stick.....Other methods are no doubt available. ;)

Here's the windows in waiting for paint.....

MM Vietnam build 011.jpg

Frames painted using a OO fine point brush.

MM Vietnam build 013.jpg

The superstructure plonked on, but not glued.

MM Vietnam build 012.jpg

Next, fit and glue on the superstructure, some detailed painting and the decals.

Cheers,

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You wanted some figures Ron?

Here you go:

http://propaganda-kompany.com/Accessoires-Figurines/90245-us-vietnam-infantry-for-m113-a1-3-fig.html

... a real bargain at just under £60 each!!!! So how many sets do you want?

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Missed this one!...and now following!

Looking good Ron...for me it would be the Brown Water Navy...somewhere up the Mekong!?

Lee :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your posts Dave and Lee...

I knew 'Hunter Dave' would come up trumps. I reckon I could get 20 of these figures on the deck, about to be dropped off on a special mission.

The cost? Only £1200. Cheers Dave, I've just ordered them....I can hardly wait for the wife to come home, so I can tell her what I've done...she will be so please and excited!

Thanks Lee. Yes, I'm leaning towards some sort of inland waterway - The Mekong or perhaps some sort of narrow channel.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Thanks for your posts Dave and Lee...
I knew 'Hunter Dave' would come up trumps. I reckon I could get 20 of these figures on the deck, about to be dropped off on a special mission.

The cost? Only £1200. Cheers Dave, I've just ordered them....I can hardly wait for the wife to come home, so I can tell her what I've done...she will be so please and excited!

Thanks Lee. Yes, I'm leaning towards some sort of inland waterway - The Mekong or perhaps some sort of narrow channel.
Just glad to be of help Ron! I take it we can look forward to an action-packed dio full of figures like your Rourke's Drift build then?

Mind you, I would expect them to be made of solid gold for that price. Nice but not very accurate camo!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good on this one,liking it so far, ;)

and what very nice figures,but ouch on the cost,:confused:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks all, I'm glad you approve so far...

Those £60 figures will have to wait - I might just buy a lottery ticket!

I've finished painting the boat, I used the paints in the kit. They were rather like those little plastic tubs you get in Airfix kits - they went on just fine using a flatheaded brush and a fine point one for detail work.

Then I added the decals - Not many of these, a bit fiddly the ones on the two life-rings. Next, I need to weather it, add some rigging, an antenna, plus various bits to make it look used and in action....Then tackle the water.

MM Vietnam build 016.jpg

MM Vietnam build 014.jpg

MM Vietnam build 015.jpg

MM Vietnam build 017.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Ron

D

Deleted member 4539

Looking real good Ron,can't wait to see the weathering.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice Ron

Lee :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice, tidy build as usual Ron. Straight OOB it looks a bit 'toylike' so I'm looking forward to you bringing it to life with your usual magic touch!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real do like the look of this one Ron, ;)

F

Fenlander

Very nicely done Ron. I have always admired your prowess with the hairybrush.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That's looking sweet Ron......... Looking forward to seeing the weathering and stuff.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That looks superb Ron. That will be right at home in a muddy delta seeking out the enemy on the banks.

A

american

I like it so much. Don't be gentle with ageing the boat think about the condition and the weather on that side oh Earth. Good job!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys and girl for your excellent suggestions and humorous comments...Great stuff!

Catalin - Don't worry, I've not had so much fun weathering and messing about with a model for quite some time.

My imagination and a big hammer are in free fall - and I'm loving every minute!