USAAF F-51d

T

T. van Vuuren

The main gear doors are drooping at different rates as the pressure in the system bleeds off. The yellow tanks are filled with napalm.

D

dubster72

Very classy Theuns! That's kinda how I'd expect a real P-51 to look, slightly dull & not too shiny.

L

Laurie

Very nice Theuns. Great paintwork and nicely controlled weathering.

The aluminium colour looks really authentic.

Laurie

T

T. van Vuuren

Most of these planes were hard worked in the last stages of WW2. then when in Korea the weather goes from hot and wet to cold and snow, not the best for craft parked outside all the time.

Theuns

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's a stunner Theuns

I have a Testors 1/48 one in the stash that is now shouting at me to get out

D

Doug Hughes

Fantastic - the Alclad (and your modelling skills) have produced great results on the finish.

First Name
Robert
Like what you have done to the kit. You have told such a story in the paintwork and even the drooping gear doors ( I think I did see a documentary on Korea with the F-51 and some of the gear doors were up and others were 3/4 down and now you have explained this it makes perfect sense

100% liking this

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
The main gear doors are drooping at different rates as the pressure in the system bleeds off. The yellow tanks are filled with napalm.
In the film 'Red Tails' when the Mustangs start their engines, you can see the 'relaxed' gear doors rise to their closed position as the hydraulic pressure Increases. A detail of the film I think only a crowd like us might notice.

Anyway, the model looks great. As others have mentioned, the finish of the paint is spot on. Weathering too.

D

dougie

beautiful, this is how good I would like to get. job well done, you should be proud

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Top marks for that one Theuns.

Nice to see a natural natural metal finish.

Ian M

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx, with the alclad it is eazy to get nice results.

I have the 1/32 Tam Mustsprang in the stash, this 1/48 was just a practice model :smiling:

Theuns

D

demon

Now this is what I aspire to achieve love that nmf and it's my favourite aircraft

selrach

SMF Supporter
Theuns, Very nice metal work. Very realistic looking. Any hints to share with us?

Selrach