using vinegar to soften decals

R

rjwood_uk

ages ago either Nigel or Richard gave me the tip to use distilled malt vinigar to soften decals in the same way that micro-sol does.

has anyone ever tried this?

do you need to dilute the vinegar at all? i take it you apply it once the decal is down in the same way you use micro-sol?

any tips would be good.

thanks

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Richard,neat white vinigar is all you need,apply the vinigar once the decal is in place,dab with a lint free cloth,as there are many different types of decal formulae experiment first with a piece of the decal,I have used it on corrugations with good effect.

Keep applying the vinigar until the desired softness of the insignia has been achieved.

A

AerynPk

Hello Rich. I use the vinegar and over rivetes is very good. I have had no problems with it at all.

A

alan2525

The only problem with using vinegar is that the smell of it - makes you crave a nice portion of Chips with salt and some ketchup too!

A

AerynPk

\ said:
The only problem with using vinegar is that the smell of it - makes you crave a nice portion of Chips with salt and some ketchup too!
That's very true. I fancy some chips now you have mentioned it.

R

radish1us

Got a question about decals, how can you remove decals that have been added to a model, dried out, but have NOT been coated with any clear coat at all?

Would white vinegar applied with a cotton bud soften them, so that there is NO damage to the paint work at all?

If not vinegar, is their any other way of getting them off, with NO DAMAGE to the paint work on the model, they are not to be re-used, I just need them removed, so that I can add the correct ones.

All and any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards radish

B

Bunkerbarge

Soak the decal in warm water. If you can't actually submerse the item then cover it with a cloth or tissue and keep pouring warm water over it. The decal will soften eventually and come off.