USS Missouri

K

KenP

I am building USS Missouri in 1:128 scale using a Fleetscale Hull and Prescision fitting. Is anyone else out there either completed one or is currently building one?

Looking to exchange tips, ideas etc

K

KenP

I have been to modelwarshipsunderway web site. A lot of people build USS Missouri, especially our American friends, but... they usually use 1:96 scale where there are plenty of fittings available including the excellent John Haynes ones.

Fittings at 1:128 scale are the problem. Prescision Controls ( Wayland Smith ) produce quite a few, but things like the Mk51 and Mk57 Directors for the 40mm Guns are not available nor any brass etch for the large SK-2 masthead Radar. Making these from scratch at this scale is quite a problem, especially the Directors as there are quite a few of them.

I was wondering if anyone else in the UK had built Missouri from a Fleetscale hull and how they solved the lack of detailed fittings problem.

A

adzam

i dont suppose you`ve tried the forum at the fleetscale website by any chance?

K

KenP

Thanks, Adzam,

i didn't realize Fleetscale had a Forum section on their Web site. It must be a fairly new thing, but then again, I haven't visited this site for about 6 months !!!

I'll try it and see what happens.

K

KenP

Been in to the Fleetscale site and the Forum.

Well.... It looks as if there are very few subscribers to the forum and little or no "action" there.

Modelwarshipsunderway is a good site, but tends to cater for the 1:96 US market.

F

fleetcom

Hi, I run the Fleetscale forum and I can assure you there is more action now. With 115 members purely devoted to Fleetscale it's upto you to ask the questions. Everyone HAS to register JUST to see the whole forum but that's because forum members are offered special deals - like 50% discount on certain hulls, when available, and we wouldn't want everyone to see that.

There are more features on the forum with a picture section devoted to members models either completed or under construction, and tips on building etc, etc.

So, I suggest if your concern is a Fleetscale hull then join the forum. The link is from the home page on the main site; www.fleetscale.co.uk

A

Art

Hi Ken,

My mate Adrian built the Missouri as his first project a couple of years or so ago, I will contact him once he returns from the UK and get the griff.

BTW I will be in Ringwood next month, any chance of hooking up?

Art

NZBG

S

sinjon

Hello Ken,

I started a Fleetscale Missouri a couple of months ago, its my first try at a warship and plasticard. I have backed up the Fleetscale plan with a one from The Floating Drydock by Alan Chesley, different scale (1/8'' - 1'-0'') but a lot more detail, also a couple of CDs and a video, - and I am still struggling.

I am too green to offer advice, but it would be very handy, to have someone who I could approach when I get lost.

Its the best thing I have attempted, I really enjoy how much research is needed before putting knife to board. Your email address would be much appreciated. I live in Suffolk.

A

adzam

well looks like someones been busy !!

she`s looking lovely ken, whats teh overall size of the model?

K

KenP

At 128 scale, my Missouri is 82"" Long ( 6ft 6 Ins ) and 10.5 ins beam

If ever I sell my Jeep Cherokee( it's getting old as it's an 'M' reg) I'm in trouble as to how to carry it !!!!!!!

K

KenP

WW II. At the time of the Japanese surrender. Paint scheme is Measure 22 as of Jan 1945.

J

John R Haynes

\ said:
E-Mail sent to SINJON
You can get a DVD of my 1/96 Missouri now on board the actual ship by logging onto johnrhaynes.com/shop