Vacuform !/48 Halifax

First Name
Dave
View attachment 30760

View attachment 30761View attachment 30762View attachment 30763View attachment 30764

Trey asked me to post pictures of a 1/48 Halifax vacuform kit i built last year.It was the first full vacuum form kit i have built.There were loads of problems to overcome as the parts didnt exactly fall together.I used nearly a third of a tube of squadron green filler on it.Mostly because when i joined the fuselage halves i used too much liquid glue and the joins sagged.So there was a depression to fill in along the top and bottom fuselage seams.The fuselage was quite flimsy so i had to make up 6 bulkheads to stiffen it up.No parts or templates are provided so i had to make them from scratch out of 2mm plastic card.I originally intended to build a Mk1 with nose turret which is why i picked the Merlin engined kit.When i cut the transparency out for the turret i found it was too wide for the opening in the nose.Maybe i sanded too much off the fuselage halves in the nose area.But the cockpit transparency fitted ok (after lots of trimming!).Luckily you get two bomber noses in the kit.So i had a look through my books and found i could build a Mk2 series 1 by fitting the later nose to the Mk1 airframe.So thats what i did.Good job i wasnt doing the group build or i would have been disqualified!.I had to make a metal spar for the wings which runs almost from wingtip to wingtip.Thankfully a template is supplied for this in the kit drawings.The engine nacelles and their fairings had to be cut out and glued on.This was the most difficult part of the build.There were no location marks on the wings so i had to work this out from the drawings.I used lots of scraps of plastic card and gallons of filler on these assemblies.The props are white metal and come as seperate blades and hubs in two parts.The spinners were missing from the kit.But after an email to the kit maker,these turned up in the post.I forgot to mention the kit is made by a small company called 'Sanger'.If you fancy doing a vacuform (there name for it) have a look at their web site.You will see a picture of my model on there looking a bit glossy!I have since given it a coat of matt varnish.They do a 1\48 Vickers Vildebeast.How about that?,a vacuform biplane!.Have to pretty masochistic to build that!.My model isnt perfect and not 100% accurate but im very pleased with it.After this i built the Trumpeter 1\48 Wellington for a bit of therapy.It was so easy and only needed two smears of filler!.

View attachment 30758

View attachment 35870

View attachment 35871

View attachment 35872

View attachment 35873

View attachment 35874

View attachment 35875

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top marks for tackling a vacform and getting a great result dave! I keep seeing some rather tasty vacform subjects in 1/32 popping up on e-bay every now and then (jaguar,aero L29, meteor f8 ,etc. allsorts of great planes!) but i havent had the courage to do a vacform yet so dont want to waste £30 and cock it up! cheers tony

First Name
Dave
I'd say just go for it Tony.If its an aircraft you really want you will manage to build it.Your scratch building skills are excellent.So you will have no trouble with the interior.I didnt bother with the bomb bay or undercarriage bays.But you have the patience and skills to go to town on these areas.you will need different thicknesses of plastic card and some different sections of plastic rod.A good spares box will come in handy as well.I will be making anothe one soon.not sure what yet.Im drawn to the Vildebeast and theyve also got a 1/48 Sunderland under developement.Make a good winter project.

T

treyzx10r

Dave awesome job on a most difficult medium to work with( as I'm now finding out! ) I'm having a few issues with just a few conversion parts, tackling a whole vac kit like that is quite an accomplishment! The Halifax looks really great you did it justice and thanks for taking the time to post up the pics!!! Sure keeps me motivated seeing what you did with that vac kit ;)

C

Caledonia

Hi Dave, you deserve 5 Stars for bravery, I would be too scared to attempt this media. You have done a cracking job not a seam in sight. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well done Dave, for a first vac form kit you sure did not pick an easy one. Looks good.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Thanks Ian.I really wanted a Halifax and didnt want to pay the price of the Foderie Miniatures kit, which i am told is not an easy build either.