Vallejo Flow Improver

L

Laurie

Just tried this and it is a revelation. Vallejo Flow Improver. Available in John's shop unless you want to pay double in Europe.

2 drops for every 10 of paint I used for both experiments. Using an Iwata .2 needle.I did not use any thinners at all. I use this for weathering and local shading and have had to unblock every minute or so. Frustrating.

1st using Mig acrylics. Used at 15psi and 8 psi and over a period of about 10 minutes no blockages.

2nd Vallejo Silver Model Air. If ever there was one for blocking the metal types are the one.

Used at 15psi and 8 psi and over a period of about 10 minutes no blockages.

Also there was no appreciable time difference in drying. Another plus it seemed easier to clean out the airbrush.

This is a great find. Only annoyance is that Vallejo, airbrush Flow Improver, airbrush Cleaner and airbrush thinners bottles are all in the same label livery. Have a few times used the cleaner in place of the thinner. And so I am putting coloured labels on.

Not used it extensively but if the above is typical this is a great step forward for acrylic airbrushing. I was very sceptical about the product but proved a pessimist.

Laurie

J

jono

\ said:
Just tried this and it is a revelation. Vallejo Flow Improver. Available in John's shop unless you want to pay double in Europe.
2 drops for every 10 of paint I used for both experiments. Using an Iwata .2 needle.I did not use any thinners at all. I use this for weathering and local shading and have had to unblock every minute or so. Frustrating.

1st using Mig acrylics. Used at 15psi and 8 psi and over a period of about 10 minutes no blockages.

2nd Vallejo Silver Model Air. If ever there was one for blocking the metal types are the one.

Used at 15psi and 8 psi and over a period of about 10 minutes no blockages.

Also there was no appreciable time difference in drying. Another plus it seemed easier to clean out the airbrush.

This is a great find. Only annoyance is that Vallejo, airbrush Flow Improver, airbrush Cleaner and airbrush thinners bottles are all in the same label livery. Have a few times used the cleaner in place of the thinner. And so I am putting coloured labels on.

Not used it extensively but if the above is typical this is a great step forward for acrylic airbrushing. I was very sceptical about the product but proved a pessimist.

Laurie
Thinks I should visit John,s shop then Laurie LOL.

John.

L

Laurie

Update. Just used it with primer. Put some thinners in and I think you need sparingly as the improver seems to have a thinning effect. Think this is a learning curve.

Laurie

J

John Rixon

Interesting post Laurie, however, it seems to me that this needs to be an ingredient in their Model Air and Primer ranges, rather than another product to buy eh? I mean, who wouldn't want their airbrush paint to have its flow improved?

D

dubster72

Flow improver for acrylic paints have been around for ages Laurie!

Windsor & Newton etc all carry this product in their ranges.

I'm with John, this shouldn't be an add-on product.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
bought some of this recently..........my last air brush worked with vallejo air straight out of the bottle....the new one likes it just a little bit thinner.....works a treat although you have to careful not to add too much.....think a little bottle will last me a couple of years!!

L

Laurie

Well having used it I think it should be a separate product. It is not necessary, from my use so far, to use it all the time. In fact I think it gives the opportunity to use in the proportions to suit the user, airbrush needle the temperature and the humidity.

On average I do not have any problems with a.35 for general airbrushing the larger areas. With a .2 for detail I do and this stuff seems to have solved the problem.

I do have problems in using the .35 and .2 for detailed work as I run at 10 to 8 PSI. Plus I think in the summer with high temperatures this will be a good add on. Also so far seems it does thin the paint so you may not want to do that. It is rather like sausages and chips do you or do you not add tomato sauce to add to and smooth the digestion. Personally not salt and pepper for me but that in it's self illustrates it as an add on. QED.

On the cost side two drops for 10 drops is going to dilute your paint by one fifth. So cost wise not a problem. So come on chaps do not be so mean. :cool: So all in all Vallejo have it right. In my opinion. :eek:

Laurie