Vallejo grey primer

D

dougie

I always wipe everything with ipa, if it's paint don't let it sit though

L

Laurie

Totally agree Barry. If attention is given to all these details all will be right. Do not and nothing is forgiven.

\ said:
Totally agree with Laurie.
So Barry I am now handing the mantle hung around my neck given by the cheeky Dougie to you with

two amendments. Ancient Mariner and the Albatross come to mind.

Barry (Laurie) is the master, I'm sure I learned most vallejo tips among others from him. He is THE institution haha.

Laurie

D

dougie

I meant to upload this yesterday. 3 very thin coats within 15 mins and 10 hrs drying time as it was painted in the morning before work and when I got home you couldn’t scratch it off with a finger nail which is the opposite of a lot of people's experience. Its really quite nice paint just not as durable for sanding without a longer drying time.

Also this is the grey, yes for some reason their grey is just off white haha. I have both and the white is much brighter

View attachment 121424

View attachment 121422

2015-10-06 07.47.38.jpg

2015-10-06 07.47.38.jpg

D

dougie

\ said:
Amazing what some will do for their kicks :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Yep I spra... No actually there are too many connotations that will get me banned. :oops::eek: :D :D

D

Dave1973

I think I have a bad batch,

I tried to spray the primer this morning on some scrap, and ended up with blobs.

I borrowed my borers fine detail hvlp gun, which has a variable paint flow, and still this bottle of primer is horrid!

So I sprayed the tank this afternoon with halfords primer! I'm done with these expensive wastes of money, it's in the bin!

L

Laurie

\ said:
I'm done with these expensive wastes of money, it's in the bin!
First Dave using primer this way is the cheapest way that you can get. Halfords primer

is the most expensive. I have a 200ml bottle of grey primer which I bought 7 years ago.

I have used just over half and it is still in first class condition.

200ml Vallejo primer £7 Halfords spray about the same.

So there is either something wrong with the primer or your technique.

Take it you have other Vallejo Model Air paint ? If so then try airbrushing that on an old

water plastic bottle. Do not thin straight from the bottle. If OK then try some more but with

say 20% Vallejo thinners.

If that works then your technique airbrush thinners and paint are OK. You have a problem

with your Vallejo primer. Return it to who ever sold it to you for a replacement.

Just a thought especially as you were mixing enamels and acrylic thinners. What

are you using Dave to wash out and clean your airbrush. Hope it is not enamel or

Turps subs thinners. If so then that is probably the problem.

Next what airbrush are you using and also what compressor. Airbrush compressors

are oil less. If you are using an airbrush which is not made for airbrushing the

likeley hood is that it is an oil lubricated compressor. If that should be the case any

paint airbrushed will have a smattering of oil in it. That will also cause a

problem as oil and acrylics are not friendly to each other.

If none of this works ??**&^%^&**(()))(*&^%$%^&8.:confused:

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I would also try adjusting the air pressure. A higher pressure may help. A thorough strip down clean is also advisable,.

D

Dave1973

Airbrush sprays all other paints perfectly fine, this primer is just globules of rubbish. I've tried 10psi all the way to 30psi.

As I said, I put it through a HVLP primer mini gun, which sprays primer perfectly, and it still spat, lumped and wasted my time.

I bought it from the same place as I got the Airfix models from, so I reckon the seller has VERY old stock and doesn't store stuff right.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Airbrush sprays all other paints perfectly fine, this primer is just globules of rubbish. I've tried 10psi all the way to 30psi.
As I said, I put it through a HVLP primer mini gun, which sprays primer perfectly, and it still spat, lumped and wasted my time.

I bought it from the same place as I got the Airfix models from, so I reckon the seller has VERY old stock and doesn't store stuff right.
Take it back Dave. If you have problems with the retailer email Vallejo Customer care they run a great department.

Be interested to find what the problem is Dave. Also add get the stuff on line from John shop he has a good roll over of stock all delivered to your door step in 24 hours.

Laurie

D

Dave1973

It's a devilbis airbrush, and a spar max 610 airbrush compressor.

Both are high quality and work perfect.

I always clean with airbrush cleaner, stripping and cleaning properly.

I only said about trying enamel thinners and acrylic thinners as I was trying to find out if something would fix the problem.

As I now have the correct Vallejo thinner it should work.

As I stated, my airbrush and compressor are fine, I've just tried some model air colour, and I can get a great wide spray pattern, all the way down to the tightest line ever.

I think this is dead now, as its proved the bottle of primer is junk.

I've emailed the seller stating that the primer is no good, and that despite him telling me his kits were new, he failed to tell me they were all OLD stock and therefore poor quality Airfix junk.

I doubt I'll get any refund or response, I've learned my lesson, I'll buy face to face from now on.

L

Laurie

\ said:
It's a devilbis airbrush, and a spar max 610 airbrush compressor.
Both are high quality and work perfect.

I always clean with airbrush cleaner, stripping and cleaning properly.

I only said about trying enamel thinners and acrylic thinners as I was trying to find out if something would fix the problem.

As I now have the correct Vallejo thinner it should work.

As I stated, my airbrush and compressor are fine, I've just tried some model air colour, and I can get a great wide spray pattern, all the way down to the tightest line ever.

I think this is dead now, as its proved the bottle of primer is junk.

I've emailed the seller stating that the primer is no good, and that despite him telling me his kits were new, he failed to tell me they were all OLD stock and therefore poor quality Airfix junk.

I doubt I'll get any refund or response, I've learned my lesson, I'll buy face to face from now on.
Such is life Dave. :smiling3:

D

Dave1973

Yeah I think it's now at the stage where although buying online is cheaper, you can't look at something and check it first.

This ones on the chin.

Thing is, I've got about twenty cans of holts plastic primer I bought in June to spray up the trailer, as I didn't want to waste the 2k primer on it,

So I think for now, I'll use that, and keep the airbrush for the paint colours.

First Name
Adrian
It's me the odd man out :smiling3:

I tried using the Vallejo primers and couldn't get a consistent result, I faffed around with thinners, flow improvers etc but its all time consuming and having to wait 24 hours to be able to sand down, not for me.

Stynlrez,,, pronounced Stein el rez :P Straight out of the bottle no messing around with 50% this and that, covers perfectly and dries in 15-20 minutes, able to sand after that time as well if required :smiling3:

Course there are a few draw backs, price is one thing, and colour choice another having only Black, White or Grey to choose from, though to be fair I always used Halfords Grey primer in the past.

Anyway, that's my 2p worth, it's worth a try though in my most humble opinion.

Adrian

D

dougie

\ said:
It's me the odd man out :smiling3:
I tried using the Vallejo primers and couldn't get a consistent result, I faffed around with thinners, flow improvers etc but its all time consuming and having to wait 24 hours to be able to sand down, not for me.

Stynlrez,,, pronounced Stein el rez :P Straight out of the bottle no messing around with 50% this and that, covers perfectly and dries in 15-20 minutes, able to sand after that time as well if required :smiling3:

Course there are a few draw backs, price is one thing, and colour choice another having only Black, White or Grey to choose from, though to be fair I always used Halfords Grey primer in the past.

Anyway, that's my 2p worth, it's worth a try though in my most humble opinion.

Adrian
Is a shame the vallejo didn't work for you guys, stynelrez sounds good but I have enough primer at the moment!

L

Laurie

Stylrez is not perfect as is nothing in this world.

It does not have the coverage thickness of Vallejo which does have some success in covering minor imperfections. .

It is for me a dirty paint (Stynlrez) in that it takes a lot to clean airbrushes. More difficult than varnishes in that respect.

There are no half measures it goes off so quick, an advantage in some areas, but not in airbrushes. If you use it do

a deep clean. I have had to do that every time I use it. I use an old airbrush for it as I do for varnish.

But it does have advantages I have found as Adrian has mentioned. quick drying. And for me using where an

odd imperfection occurs Mr Surfacer 500 which does not act as a paint stripper over Stynlerez.

Depending on circumstances I use the one that suits.

Laurie

First Name
Adrian
I can only speak for myself but never had any cleaning issues, I flush the cup with screen cleaner and a brush a few times, blow some through then use IPA to clean any remaining primer out. I don't remove the needle or tip and never had any issues.

As you say each has it's own advantages and disadvantages I guess :smiling3:

I'll take my Vallejo primers to SMW to fob off onto some one lol

Adrian

D

dougie

\ said:
I can only speak for myself but never had any cleaning issues, I flush the cup with screen cleaner and a brush a few times, blow some through then use IPA to clean any remaining primer out. I don't remove the needle or tip and never had any issues.
As you say each has it's own advantages and disadvantages I guess :smiling3:

I'll take my Vallejo primers to SMW to fob off onto some one lol

Adrian
Do you find screenwash effective compared to normal ab cleaner? It has glycol and such in it. I've never tried but it's wayyyy cheaper than ab cleaner

B

Benhur

Sorry if a bit off topic. I use Humbrol spray primer in their can and then Vallejo paints.

Is this OK or should I be using something better.