Vallejo Model Air Aluminum

B

Bunker-Boys

Has anyone had any problems using Vallejo Model Air Aluminum? I painted a couple Oscars almost 2 weeks ago and they still feel a little tacky. I was out of town and hoped to do some more work on them when I got home. I thought a coat of Future might help to seal the paint and stop the chipping that was happening every time I put them down, but in some spots the Future beaded up. Not going to touch it now until that dries and I can sand it down.

T

tecdes

BB. This week air brushed a Harrier Pegasus Engine with Model Air Aluminuim. Then overcoated the two ends with metallic Steel VMA.

Aluminuim was perfect a superb finish. This was on grey plastic not sure of your base. Did not use primer but I did use Colin's CDW Grit method as it was an all round piece with lots of contours.

The Aluminuim dried quickly. After over coating the parts with Metallic Steel they dried but were still soft for a considerable time. But then my thoughtlessness in giving 4 coats in less than 48 hours.

Just to go through did you wash the figures that may be a problem. Also I would try a coat of aluminium on a prepared piece which has been washed & abraded to see the result.

Had problems with a Vallejo Varnish where the resin acrylic had parted into globlets. Worth having a look to make sure this is not the problem.

Laurie

Edit. Try Vallejo customer service they give good & quick replies.

B

Bunker-Boys

Material was light grey plastic from Hasegawa without a primer. I've never washed a kit in my life.

W

wbk666

i have had problems when not washing kits lately, also i always use primer before laying down any paints.

I use the vallejo metallics quite a bit and find them drying very quick.

B

Bunker-Boys

Took some wet/dry sandpaper hoping to erase the little Future globulets that were sitting on the top half of the wings and with three swipes of 600 grit I was down to bare plastic again. Will let them sit for another couple weeks and hopefully they will be dry when I get home after this shift.

B

Bunker-Boys

On my way out of town for work again. Guess I'll give it another two weeks to dry and see what happens.

B

Bunker-Boys

Well, it's been almost 5 weeks since I painted these two planes and if I grab a wing between my fingers it is still tacky. The rain hasn't been unusual this year and we've had some pretty hot days 30C+ a couple times a week for the past month. Stuck now wondering what I should do with them. Cockpits have already been painted and glued in so dunking them in oven cleaner is out of the question. Anyone ever just brushed it one and cleaned off the paint? Not looking forward to the smell of oven cleaner...

T

tecdes

As it is still tacky try & see if water will remove. Alternative if you have Vallejo Air Brush Cleaner this may do the trick.

Also used a decorators cleaner which in the UK comes as a pack of * so many. Found this removes Acrylic which has not set.

Should not splash the Vallejo Cleaner around. Use a brush & do some trial pieces.

If that does not work come back as there are other methods.

Laurie

B

Bunker-Boys

Thanks Laurie, tried the water solution before I saw your post. Using some warm water and a ScotchBrite pad I managed to get 95% of it off one of the kits. Will take fine-grit over it after the water has dried and buff it up a little. No Vallejo metallics will touch this kit again. Luckily the Mr Color stayed in the wheel wells so I don't feel like I'm starting all over again. The cockpit still looks like it did before I started.

T

tecdes

Something funny here as I have used Vallejo Metallics before & so have other members & not any problems. Usually after 2 hours I can recoat.

What is the room approx temperature when you sprayed.

I would email customer service at Vallejo with the problem giving them all the fine detail.

Just wonder if you have had something form a bad batch.

Laurie

B

backonthecase

This sounds like lack of primer or lack of mixing - have you properly shaken the bottle til your arm falls off?

HTH

Stuart

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I might be a bit late for your problem, but for getting the paint off, try a bottle of Vallejo's airbrush cleaner. I have been using it for all kinds of weird thing lately. I can inform that it removes months old Vallejo model color, and much to my surprise PVA glue. I had a paint brush and a mixing dish that I had forgotten for two days. Five minutes with the aforementioned cleaner and I can use the brush to paint with!!!

Might be your saviour for local paint removal.

Ian M

T

tecdes

That is a good tip Ian.

Also been using the new Vallejo thinners. When I have stripped masking if you have an slight over spray or a chink in the masking where you have a nasty blob of unwanted paint I am using the Thiinners. With a brush I tease the offending piece until it has gone using a bit of tissue to mop up. Works well. Used it tonight. Dark grey got thro my masking onto white in a couple of places. Not a sign of it after the treatment.

Laurie