Vallejo paint changes colour during airbrush session?????

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hi, I haven't posted on here for a long time but I hope someone can help.

I was spraying my aggressor squadron F-16 in its light grey/blue grey camo. After finishing the blue grey coat and removing the masking and noticed a few areas where the paint was not right. I picked up the airbrush which still had the blue grey paint in it ( it had only been in the colour cup for about half an hour, the colour cup had its lid on and the paint seemed OK) and started to spray again and the paint that came out was now a noticiblely different colour, more of a dark grey blue.I stirred the paint in the colour cup and tried again but it was still the dark grey blue colour?

Can anyone tell me what might of happened or if I have done something wrong.

Thanks for any assistance.

Tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I noticed a similar issue a few months ago with one of their sand colours. I noticed faint traces of a brown colour on the surface of the paint left in the cup. As the paint was now spraying a more greenish yellow, I assumed that somehow the pigments were separating in the paint. I solved my problem by giving the paint a good stir every minute or so.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Oh good It's not just me then Phew.

I thought it might be something alone those lines.

Thanks for the help Dave.

Tony.

P

PhotoPhil

Have you contacted Vallejo and explained the problems you have been experiencing, perhaps they could help explain what could have caused the problem

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I don't stir paint in the cup anymore, I cover the nozzle with a finger tip and use the trigger to gently allow air through which blows back into the cup to bubble up through the paint. Make sure the lid is on. I never have this problem with varying paint shades now.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
@Razzie43 Yeah I thought that too, I'm not going to change what I have done and see what it looks like when it's finished

@PhotoPhil thats an idea.

@rickoshea52 Never thought of that! Thanks :smiling3:

Tony

L

Laurie

Amazing that I have been using Vallejo for about 6 years and only once had a problems

which was Matt Varnish in a faulty batch. Then after getting in touch with Vallejo they sent

a new one twice the size with a another 3 goodies.

Agree with Phil always the first port of call the manufacturer. :rolleyes:

Wonder how long had this been on the shelf Tony. If it had settled on the bottom been

shaken then bits form the bottom may not have been integrated when pouring into the

airbrush. Then those bits will soften and mix and cause a difference in colour.

Another problem. Paint gets up into the needle tunnel and if not washed away well

when airbrushing new paint is deposited with the old and filters through into the

paint flow.

Laurie

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
I don't stir paint in the cup anymore, I cover the nozzle with a finger tip and use the trigger to gently allow air through which blows back into the cup to bubble up through the paint. Make sure the lid is on. I never have this problem with varying paint shades now.
Be careful doing this mate as I have heard that blowing air back the wrong way can actually do damage to the nozzle seals ect. I used to do this in a cleaning process also but have changed methods. I do however mix my paint in a deep little spoon before adding to the cup, counting drops if I'm mixing colours together to get a matching consistency.

Phil

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Be careful doing this mate as I have heard that blowing air back the wrong way can actually do damage to the nozzle seals ect. I used to do this in a cleaning process also but have changed methods. I do however mix my paint in a deep little spoon before adding to the cup, counting drops if I'm mixing colours together to get a matching consistency.
Phil
That's why I do it gently Phil, no going full throttle because you also blow the paint through the breather.

L

Laurie

When I use the airbrush I first put in a few drops of thinners or just recently Vallejo Flow Improver.

Then I drop in the paint one colour or mix two colours. Then with a good paint brush

(a poor one leaves hairs) give the mixture a good seeing to.

Found if you put in paint straight away you cannot mix well as you will always get that

bit at the front end which is the virgin paint.

Before using on the model I always test and get rid of the residual Flow or thinners at

the front end. Not had any problems with this method in many years.

Laurie