Vallejo Rust Texture

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hi all,

I've just tried Vallejo Rust Texture 73.821 on a primed and painted test piece and I was pretty disappointed in the results, has anyone else tried this, if so, what did it come out like.

The blurb says...'Rust Texture reproduces a rough orange coating, the dry, flaked aspect of rusted vehicles' mine looked more like Vallejo chocolate brown and wasn't flakey at all.

It says on the bottle to apply with a brush, which I did, am I missing something in the process.

Regards, Chris.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Never tried it either, but I would ask if it was properly mixed? I would expect a formula like that to have a very high solids content which may well have settled out in the bottle and be difficult to resuspend. Just shaking the bottle may not cut it and mechanical stirring could be required?

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Never tried it either, but I would ask if it was properly mixed? I would expect a formula like that to have a very high solids content which may well have settled out in the bottle and be difficult to resuspend. Just shaking the bottle may not cut it and mechanical stirring could be required?

Thanks for the reply Tim.

I thought it looked quite thin even after a good shake so I gave it a real good stir but it made no difference to the consistency.

I might try mixing in a bit of rust pigment and see what it looks like but that sort of defeats the object of having a bottle of so called Rust Texture.

Regards, Chris.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I bought a bottle of this last time I went to a hobby shop.........have yet to try it. Thanks for the heads up. ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Chris
Not quite an answer to your query but have you considered creating rust using pigments and pigment fixer. The pigments can be mixed to create various rust effects including rust streaks and crusty rust. VMS do a range of fixers and a few rust pigments. Worth considering. The VMS website is worth a look.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I used it on my Samba Sleepah, in smaller applications it does give you a nice rusted effect. I guess you will have to experiment a bit with that, chipping fluid and another layer of paint to create a bubbled raised flakey rausted paint finish?

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Thank you all for the replies and the invaluable information.

I have managed to get a rusted finish that I am now happy with.

I gave both exhausts a coating of Vallejo black wash and while it was still wet I dabbed on some AMMO medium rust and light rust pigments, I then carefully applied some pigment fixer.

I'm not sure if the black wash stage was necessary, I suppose I could just have used pigment fixer but I saw this method on a YouTube video so I gave it a go.

Regards, Chris.

Last edited: